• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer on Edge Rushers

NAS

9 minutes ago, joemac said:

Especially since we will probably be in a lot of nickle as opposed to a base 3-4 D.  That leaves only 2 LBs in the game anyways.  If we have Luvu as more of a pass rusher, I think Jones and Shaq could do just fine. 

He said Luvu can come off the edge but more in blitz situations, he is not a natural pass rusher. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm betting we have that guy on team at the moment, he just hasn't had that moment to shine yet. The change from 4-3 to 3-4, along with a coaching change in general, means we have no real way to predict who will emerge here.

No one expected Frankie Luvu to take off like he did, but all it took was time on the field and well, just wow.

Personally, I want to see Barno just show out and win the starting spot across from Burns. 

It'd be awesome if Amare Barno or Brandon Smith develop. My fear is that Rhule went with the same approach he did with his college teams: acquire a bunch of athletes and be overconfident in his staff's ability to teach them how to play football. Maybe with a top-flight professional coaching staff those guys can flip the switch.

Kobe Jones has been popping in training camp from the DE position. He might sneak his way on to the roster. Brown, Tuttle, Williams, Anderson, McCall, and Jones could be a decent enough group to hold down the DLine this season.

I think that Marquis Haynes Sr is going to perform respectably this season. Is he going to show out as "the guy" to line up across from Burns? I wouldn't go that far. He could do well enough though so that if we could get somebody out of Barno, Johnson, and Gross-Matos to show up then the pass rush might be "good enough" as gross as it might feel to settle for that.

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, NAS said:

He said Luvu can come off the edge but more in blitz situations, he is not a natural pass rusher. 

Yeah that makes sense, and Luvu is also very valuable in coverage and against the run.  Hes just an all around stud and I think this is the season he gets Pro Bowl/All Pro consideration.  He got seriously snubbed last year. 

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

You can't fix everything in one offseason.  Next year they will go hard for edge and wr help. Probably a CB or 2 as well.

That’s exactly right.  That’s why we’ll win 8-10 games this season and 12-14 next season.  But The path to this is now well lit 

Edited by OceanPanther
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

42 minutes ago, OceanPanther said:

That’s exactly right.  That’s why we’ll win 8-10 games this season and 12-14 next season.  But The path to this is now well lit 

Yup.  I think that sooner rather than later we are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the NFC.  The entire conference is wide open for someone to grab it for at least a few years.  There is Philly and then a bunch of unknowns. 

This narrative completely changes if Derrick Brown has an All Pro year and I think this is a real possibility.  Last year he had a ton of pressures and just didn't convert those to sacks.  Pressure up the middle is much more disruptive than pressure on the outside.  

• Pie 2

26 minutes ago, jtm said:

This narrative completely changes if Derrick Brown has an All Pro year and I think this is a real possibility.  Last year he had a ton of pressures and just didn't convert those to sacks.  Pressure up the middle is much more disruptive than pressure on the outside.  

I'm expecting DBrown to absolutely ball out this season. With Burns drawing the double teams and Evero liking to send ILBs up the middle when he does blitz there are going to be a lot more one-on-one opportunities for him.

If the offense can start getting out ahead of opponents, that's going to allow this defense feast even more. 😮

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Icege said:

I'm expecting DBrown to absolutely ball out this season. With Burns drawing the double teams and Evero liking to send ILBs up the middle when he does blitz there are going to be a lot more one-on-one opportunities for him.

If the offense can start getting out ahead of opponents, that's going to allow this defense feast even more. 😮

Especially since he will be a DE in the 3-4 D versus a standard DT in the previous D

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

You can't fix everything in one offseason.  Next year they will go hard for edge and wr help. Probably a CB or 2 as well.

I expect DE and CB in the 2nd and 3rd next year (no 1st), based entirely on team needs.  We likely play FA WR again like we did this year. Shenault and Chark are FA's in 2024, if one of them balls out, we likely try to extend them. We have a 4th, 2 5ths and a 6th. Gonna be hard to land a WR that late that immediately makes an impact. Of course if Mingo is the beast I hope he can be, this becomes moot.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Not that I'm unhappy with getting Bryce Young a WR to grow with, but they probably needed edge rusher more than WR in the 2nd round.

That would probably resulted in better short term success for this year. But I think the idea of surrounding BY with all the vet talent they could like Thielen, Chark, Hurst and Sanders then drafting a dynamic WR to pair with a young TMJ was the best way to go for long term success.