• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FYI: Cuts begin today

Mr. Scot

8 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Tulsa isn’t exactly a small school when it comes to football. Population yeah.

They certainly aren’t playing SEC defenses/offenses every week. Writing off a player that teammates and coaches are high on because of where he played in college is just pure nonsense. He outplayed a couple terrible vets for the 3rd string OT position. He still might not make the final roster, but if he does it’s ok. I think people on here are looking for reasons to complain…

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

They certainly aren’t playing SEC defenses/offenses every week. Writing off a player that teammates and coaches are high on because of where he played in college is just pure nonsense. He outplayed a couple terrible vets for the 3rd string OT position. He still might not make the final roster, but if he does it’s ok. I think people on here are looking for reasons to complain…

I’m just saying I think it’s unacceptable to even be an option for him to potentially block for Bryce Young when there are people on the market, in the past draft, past FA, and those available now.

Just now, Cdparr7 said:

I’m just saying I think it’s unacceptable to even be an option for him to potentially block for Bryce Young when there are people on the market, in the past draft, past FA, and those available now.

Who do you want over him? Honestly he is deep on the depth chart so he very well could be replaced an I’m good with it if it’s an upgrade. The school thing just makes no sense. Talent is talent and our staff is seeing it up close against NFL competition. 

Where did Thielen go to school? What about Chinn? Do we need to cut both of them?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

11 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

Yeah well I still don’t think you understand the competition difference. And providing a list of generational players that went to similar (but mostly larger than his) schools over the past 30 years is asinine. Are you saying he is going to be at this level?

NC A&T got the doors blown off by Gardner Webb last year. Hopefully his time spent playing the NFL talent farms like NC Central, Campbell, Gardner Webb, Bryant, Robert Morris and Edward Waters prepared him for blocking the best that came out of the SEC.

I'm not saying he'll be generational, I'm just saying you're putting way too much stock into the pedigree of a backup offensive lineman who showed enough to earn a roster spot over a former first round pick.

Talent can be found anywhere, and it's not like we're asking him to be the day 1 starter. 

Here's a more current list of talent that are pro bowl caliber players who went to non-power schools:

• Kyle Juszczyk - Harvard
  • James Bradberry - Samford
  • Demario Davis - Arkansas State
  • Tariq Woolen - Texas San Antonio
  • Jeremy Reaves - South Alabama
  • Josh Allen - Wyoming
  • Taylor Moton - Western Michigan
  • Tyreek Hill - West Alabama
  • Maxx Crosby - Eastern Michigan
  • Trey Hendrickson - Florida Atlantic
  • Matt Judon - Grand Valley State
  • Adam Thielen - Minnesota State
  • Jeremy Chinn - Southern Illinois

Also harping on one game in college is even more asinine of an argument, I absolutely hate that. "This college beat that college, so this one player obviously sucks". No. poo happens and it's a team game. One game does not mean you suck. 

"better not draft this pat mahomes guy. He only played at Texas Tech. They never produced a good QB before and they got their ass kicked by Iowa State this past season lolol scrub can't play"

TL;DR - Dude is a backup and it doesn't matter where he went to school if he can play. If he beat out the other dudes on the roster who went to bigger schools, more power to him. 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

11 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

Yeah well I still don’t think you understand the competition difference. And providing a list of generational players that went to similar (but mostly larger than his) schools over the past 30 years is asinine. Are you saying he is going to be at this level?

NC A&T got the doors blown off by Gardner Webb last year. Hopefully his time spent playing the NFL talent farms like NC Central, Campbell, Gardner Webb, Bryant, Robert Morris and Edward Waters prepared him for blocking the best that came out of the SEC.

OG Jahri Evans (Saints - 6x Pro Bowl + All-Pro + SB winner) went to my alma mater, a Division 2 school in PA. His regular competition was Kutztown, Slipper Rock, Lock Haven and Millersville.  They would get blown out by "powerhouse" Shippensburg. 

What exactly is your point? Small college lineman can't succeed? Because I just gave you one that went to more pro bowls than ANY Carolina Panther not named Luke Kuechly.

11 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Roster analysis: What the moves mean, and what's still to come

https://www.panthers.com/news/roster-analysis-what-the-moves-mean-and-what-s-still-to-come

Sounds like Sullivan is a placeholder for now and Ray/Thurman could be upgraded.  Ricci was a STs holdover more so than for what he provides on offense.  The final LB(s) were determined based on STs contributions. 

The offense seems fairly well set, it's the defense where some moves may be made.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, gofightwin said:

OG Jahri Evans (Saints - 6x Pro Bowl + All-Pro + SB winner) went to my alma mater, a Division 2 school in PA. His regular competition was Kutztown, Slipper Rock, Lock Haven and Millersville.  They would get blown out by "powerhouse" Shippensburg. 

What exactly is your point? Small college lineman can't succeed? Because I just gave you one that went to more pro bowls than ANY Carolina Panther not named Luke Kuechly.

It’s great you guys keep naming all of these random examples instead of the outcome of the average player from these schools. 

There have been successful players from the small schools, yes. But what is the average compared to the larger conferences- significantly less.

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I'm not saying he'll be generational, I'm just saying you're putting way too much stock into the pedigree of a backup offensive lineman who showed enough to earn a roster spot over a former first round pick.

Talent can be found anywhere, and it's not like we're asking him to be the day 1 starter. 

Here's a more current list of talent that are pro bowl caliber players who went to non-power schools:

• Kyle Juszczyk - Harvard
  • James Bradberry - Samford
  • Demario Davis - Arkansas State
  • Tariq Woolen - Texas San Antonio
  • Jeremy Reaves - South Alabama
  • Josh Allen - Wyoming
  • Taylor Moton - Western Michigan
  • Tyreek Hill - West Alabama
  • Maxx Crosby - Eastern Michigan
  • Trey Hendrickson - Florida Atlantic
  • Matt Judon - Grand Valley State
  • Adam Thielen - Minnesota State
  • Jeremy Chinn - Southern Illinois

Also harping on one game in college is even more asinine of an argument, I absolutely hate that. "This college beat that college, so this one player obviously sucks". No. poo happens and it's a team game. One game does not mean you suck. 

"better not draft this pat mahomes guy. He only played at Texas Tech. They never produced a good QB before and they got their ass kicked by Iowa State this past season lolol scrub can't play"

TL;DR - Dude is a backup and it doesn't matter where he went to school if he can play. If he beat out the other dudes on the roster who went to bigger schools, more power to him. 

When I brought up GW, it was to put into perspective the competition level he is used to. The school I played for played GW. I’m telling you there is a big difference between borderline D2 competition and the SEC/ACC. 

I have followed this franchise since 95, regardless of GM or coach they always have too much faith in “their guy”. Hence the days of David Foucault, Nate Chandler, Byron Bell, and Mike Remmers. I really don’t want to see this guy blocking for our future franchise QB.

16 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

It’s great you guys keep naming all of these random examples instead of the outcome of the average player from these schools. 

There have been successful players from the small schools, yes. But what is the average compared to the larger conferences- significantly less.

You should take the L and move on 

• Beer 4

34 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

When I brought up GW, it was to put into perspective the competition level he is used to. The school I played for played GW. I’m telling you there is a big difference between borderline D2 competition and the SEC/ACC. 

I have followed this franchise since 95, regardless of GM or coach they always have too much faith in “their guy”. Hence the days of David Foucault, Nate Chandler, Byron Bell, and Mike Remmers. I really don’t want to see this guy blocking for our future franchise QB.

All due respect, all of that is irrelevant at this stage.

No one would argue that D2 is the same as the SEC. 

The players you listed are different people (coaching staffs and players) with entirely different variables, life circumstances, and mentalities.

The scouts found these guys, and they met certain baseline traits they liked, so they brought them in. 

Once they are here, where they went to school doesn’t matter anymore. 

How they perform in rookie camp, mini camp, training camp, preseason…how well they take to coaching, how well they match up against other nfl players is what matters. 

And some will fail. That always happens with every team. 

• Pie 3

56 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Yeah, and they generally don't even play, so it doesn't matter, they are depth pieces not worth getting upset about. 

49 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

He's a third stringer. If he ends up blocking for Bryce something catastrophic has already gone wrong. All the guys you listed above were under Rivera's old regime, and he was notorious for not understanding how good some players actually were, examples being Silatolu starting over Norwell, and even more recently Wentz and Heineke starting over Howell. 

Also - Tangent, I feel like Remmers gets unfairly lumped into the list of failed offensive linemen we have trotted out over the years mainly for the super bowl where Shula left him on an island against one of this generations best pass rushers and what happened in 2016 where he had to play LT instead of his more natural position at RT. Remmers was a terrible LT but an average RT and an average RT doesn't belong next to those guys that you mentioned above. 

Tangent over. 

Either way, no one is relying on this kid to start any games unless 2 or 3 guys in front of him get injured, which hopefully won't happen. Even if it does you're screwed anyway and should anticipate getting Dennis Daley or Cam Erving levels of play, so why not keep the younger, cheaper option with the chance to develop/get better?

If you are in a position to hire people, are you one of those guys that looks at the school they went to and chuck out anyone that went to a community college, or do you actually look at their resumes to see their achievements, work history, and skillset?

I can't think of a better time to have 3 rookie and 2 sophomore OLmen than now with our vets to guide them along with Campen and the rest of the staff.

Ekwonu already seems like he'll be solid to great somewhere on the line. If just 2 of the other 4 young guys develop in this ideal scenario for them, we're in great shape.

Edited by ECHornet
  • Pie 2