• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Burns sign an extension before Week 1?

NAS

4 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Once we turned down that Rams deal we all but told Burns he will be resigned/extended and it will be for a large amount of money.  I would imagine we had some idea of what he was wanting before we turned down an offer like that.

I don't know. It would be classic Panthers to turn down the Rams deal while having zero idea what Burns would want money wise.

To be honest, I think people are putting WAY too much into us being a base 3-4 defense.

When in reality, I'm guessing we end up lining up in an actual 3-4 in probably 25-30% of snaps.

Most teams run 3 WR sets now in a majority of their snaps, in addition to us having Chinn who is likely going to be considered a DB when he's on the field instead of a LB and have us more in a 3-3-5 most of the time with that 3rd LB being Burns who is really just rushing the passer anyways.  90% of the time (if not even more) when Burns lines up as an OLB, he'll be rushing the passer just as he would be if he was a 4-3 DE.

I don't think he's waiting on Bosa because he knows he won't get that much anyways, I just don't think he's in a rush to sign a deal because he knows if he has a monster season and hits FA, we'll then have to make him the highest paid defensive player as someone else on the market would do it to get him.  

Which is why to me, we need to get deal done before the season starts, I think he's in for a 15+ sack season and if he's not locked up, we'll have to franchise him and/or give him a much bigger contract than whatever he's asking for right now.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 2

8 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

To be honest, I think people are putting WAY too much into us being a base 3-4 defense.

When in reality, I'm guessing we end up lining up in an actual 3-4 in probably 25-30% of snaps.

Most teams run 3 WR sets now in a majority of their snaps, in addition to us having Chinn who is likely going to be considered a DB when he's on the field instead of a LB and have us more in a 3-3-5 most of the time with that 3rd LB being Burns who is really just rushing the passer anyways.  90% of the time (if not even more) when Burns lines up as an OLB, he'll be rushing the passer just as he would be if he was a 4-3 DE.

I don't think he's waiting on Bosa because he knows he won't get that much anyways, I just don't think he's in a rush to sign a deal because he knows if he has a monster season and hits FA, we'll then have to make him the highest paid defensive player as someone else on the market would do it to get him.  

Which is why to me, we need to get deal done before the season starts, I think he's in for a 15+ sack season and if he's not locked up, we'll have to franchise him and/or give him a much bigger contract than whatever he's asking for right now.

This is why I have always said, I would much rather pay a little extra going into the final contract year than wait for it to play out.  Odds are the market continues to rise the following year and what you overpaid actually settles to an acceptable amount compared to where the avg salary of the top guys adjusts to that following year.  So even if they have a subpar year but they're a good player, it's a good deal.  I don't expect a drop-off from Burns, as I think he's on the rise, regardless...  but if we wait?  It's always gonna cost more.  Always has.

• Pie 1

Players don’t have a ton of leverage in this situation. He’s under contract for this season ($16mil). If he doesn’t play, he doesn’t get paid. Plus the Panthers can tag him for two seasons beyond this year. He wants an extension (which will come with a big signing bonus). 

His career earnings thus far are $13.5 mil over four years. Is he going to not get paid $1mil each game he sits out? Not likely. 

On the one hand, he’s probably glad Bosa is about to reset the market. But, on the other, he’s probably bummed that he has to wait for Bosa.