• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much confidence in Chuba or Blackshear?

Jmac

If Sanders goes down, we may be fugged. Don't have alot of confidence in either of those two. Average or below running backs at best. Blackshear has better vision, but he is not a #1 back.

Bryce is going to need a running game to keep him vertical. Probably waiting for final cuts to grab somebody. A JAG is a wasted roster spot, doubt the cuts will yield more then that.

The Oline is at their best when they have a quality running back to block for. So they need to find one if the back they signed is on the sidelines.

Edited by Jmac

Just now, pantherclaw said:

Our depth runs at 5 yards a carry. Not sure what more you want. 

Funny how no one wants to pay a veteran rb, but they don't want to rely on youth for depth. 

Make up your mind.  

Yeah Chuba played great with Foreman behind our OL last year. His hands need some work, but he is a good runner.

• Pie 2

I got blasted for saying it earlier in the off-season but we need talent added to the backfield.  Chubba a weak #2 by NFL standards.  

I think we should add a vet RB if one pops in cuts that can do it all reliably even if they have a limited ceiling.    And there are still questions about Sanders overall game too.   He has never been a featured RB and his role as pass catcher is questionable at best. 

the suspect play of the OL just reinforces that IMO.  Young really needs someone reliable in pass pro and that can run good routes with hands.  

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Chuba is going to be a good depth back in this league for the next couple of seasons. The only he doesn’t do well is catch the ball but he is damn good at pass protection and averages almost 5 yards per carry. 

I got not beef with Hubbard as a #2 in an offense that wants to hide the QB and play D.  

But right now we are trying to groom Bryce Young….and we no proven RBs in that 3rd down/pass catching role.   

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

I got blasted for saying it earlier in the off-season but we need talent added to the backfield.  Chubba a weak #2 by NFL standards.  

I think we should add a vet RB if one pops in cuts that can do it all reliably even if they have a limited ceiling.    And there are still questions about Sanders overall game too.   He has never been a featured RB and his role as pass catcher is questionable at best. 

Chuba averaged the same YPC as Miles Sanders. I'm sure there was an article by the NFL's Next Gen Stats that said Hubbard was the most efficient back in the league in 2022. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/26/panthers-nfl-analytics-expert-panthers-most-underappreciated-chuba-hubbard/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/2865693/chuba-hubbard/fantasy/

Hubbard also had a good grade from PFF.

I guess you guys expect him to run through walls or something.

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Chuba averaged the same YPC as Miles Sanders. I'm sure there was an article by the NFL's Next Gen Stats that said Hubbard was the most efficient back in the league in 2022. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/26/panthers-nfl-analytics-expert-panthers-most-underappreciated-chuba-hubbard/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/2865693/chuba-hubbard/fantasy/

Hubbard also had a good grade from PFF.

I guess you guys expect him to run through walls or something.

It’s not just about YPC and being a rusher.  It’s a passing league.  More duties to the backfield than just running.  I’m specifically not talking about rushing.  

I got no beef with Sanders or Hubbard as rushers.  And if you wanted to run a Steve Wilks O with a weak QB I would have no issue. 

but we aren’t expected to be an old Panther O.  The pass catching RB was a big part of Young’s Heisman run and college success too.   We got no one proven in that role on the roster.  Just seems silly not to given the investment in Young.  

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

It’s not just about YPC and being a rusher.  It’s a passing league.  More duties to the backfield than just running.  I’m specifically not talking about rushing.  

I got no beef with Sanders or Hubbard as rushers.  And if you wanted to run a Steve Wilks O with a weak QB I would have no issue. 

but we aren’t expected to be an old Panther O.  The pass catching RB was a big part of Young’s Heisman run and college success too.   We got no one proven in that role on the roster.  Just seems silly not to given the investment in Young.  

Dude under his one season with Reich, Sanders had 500 yards receiving with an 80% catch rate.  He’s a capable pass catching RB.  The eagles just never used him like that after Frank left 

Edited by Smithers

18 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Dude under his one season with Reich, Sanders had 500 yards receiving with an 80% catch rate.  He’s a capable pass catching RB.  The eagles just never used him like that after Frank left 

He didn’t play under Reich in Philly

There is a reason why Sanders role diminished post rookie season. It’s documented.  It was Sanders play and reliability in that role post rookie season

Everyone loves PFF until they say one of our guys was horrific at something and then it’s a junk website.   And he was horrible per them in 2 of his last 3 years in that role.  And you can go find old Eagles articles that support that. 

Not sure why Miles can’t just be a strong rusher.   That’s what he has proven to be in the NFL.  Questionable elsewhere in the role.   Hopefully he improves.  That’s the gamble we made going into this season…..but we have paired Bryce Young with backfield that doesn’t feature anyone proven in the pass game.