• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Corral has been cut

TheSpecialJuan

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

It's difficult to determine where Rhule's responsibility for our current state of the team ended and Fitterer's responsibility began, but for the day Rhule was fired. That's the only clear line of demarcation that we really have. As such, I would be surprised if he is axed after the season. 

I think that Tepper did an accounting before he axed Rhule. He decided that Fitterer would have a certain amount of time to right the ship. Being that Tepper seems like a relatively patient guy, not given in to knee-jerk reactions, I believe that the only thing that would get Fitterer fired after this season is a gross waste of resources. That was really the big no-no that Tepper mentioned in his first presser after Rhule was axed. So far, in my opinion, draft picks (plus D.J. Moore) that we spent relative to the value that we believe we're getting with Bryce Young was a good transaction. So we're good on that front. I don't think that anyone can argue that the cap isn't in great shape. So far, mission accomplished. Fitterer appears to be playing the long game.

Yeah, the quickest way for Fitterer to get the axe is for Young to be a massive flop. I think almost all of us hope that isn't the case(save our extra special "I WUZ RIGHT" crowd). 

Other than that, he'll probably be given at least a couple of more offseasons before any sort of pressure spikes, IMO. Clearly hitting on Young would buy him some considerable time.

• Pie 2

Just now, Barney said:

There were a whole lot of teams that passed on Howell so not sure what they saw that made him drop down in the draft like he did.  Let's see how good Howell is after his third season before we start firing our GM.  Or we can run our team on kneejerk decisions.  I think that will work out well for us. 

I don't understand why people are trying to make a big deal over Howell...and I've seen a mention of Brock Purdy...😂 Yeah, everyone saw that coming. All an FO (obviously including the GM) can do is make decisions based upon current information. Sometimes they get it wrong. Sometimes they get it right. There is no perfect FO. They just can't show a track record of compounding errors year after year without consequences. But there still has to be some perspective from the owner, least they want to be the Browns or Jets.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, the quickest way for Fitterer to get the axe is for Young to be a massive flop. I think almost all of us hope that isn't the case(save our extra special "I WUZ RIGHT" crowd). 

Other than that, he'll probably be given at least a couple of more offseasons before any sort of pressure spikes, IMO. Clearly hitting on Young would buy him some considerable time.

Young will save a lot of jobs, or lose a lot of jobs. They pinned their livelihoods to the little fella. Don't let him flop and Stroud explode. That's the worst case scenario for Fitt and the entire staff (the Huddle and all fans).

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't understand why people are trying to make a big deal over Howell...and I've seen a mention of Brock Purdy...😂 Yeah, everyone saw that coming. All an FO (obviously including the GM) can do is make decisions based upon current information. Sometimes they get it wrong. Sometimes they get it right. There is no perfect FO. They just can't show a track record of compounding errors year after year without consequences. But there still has to be some perspective from the owner, least they want to be the Browns or Jets.

I don't think its necessarily anybody making a big deal about it other than general disappointment that we werent the ones who drafted either whomhave all the makings of QB's who could turn out very good and at least are still with their drafted teams and not cut looking for another team.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah sorry, but this idea that coaches and GMs should be fired together is probably one of the silliest I've seen.

Strategy like that would mean essentially rebuilding entire front offices and coaching staffs every few years. That kind of organizational instability even older Al Davis's Raiders would look down on.

To top it all off, while decrying David Tepper as an owner, you are at the same time suggesting that he should be in charge of reorganizing the entire team structure every time somebody gets fired.

I hope this is one of the times you're bullsh-tting because this is some of the dumbest takes I've seen around here in a while.

Look every time this year you do your thing.  I get it.  You go to the mats for anyone that says anything about someone currently employed on the Panthers.  We do this dance every offseason.   

the Panthers strategy has yielded a team that hasn't had a winning season in a half decade.   Barely won in the last decade.   So you constantly throwing that they clearly think different in my face, doesn't slap.  Nor does pretending like people can't be questioned.  The NFL is slammed full of idiots doing stupid stuff just like every other walk of life. There are people literally running #1 super power on planet Earth right now that can't tie their freaking shoes.  In both parties.   Literally can't. 

and yeah, when you create one of the biggest jokes in the modern day NFL (which was the Rhule era)....you likely should burn it all.  I think that is the best play overall.   You don't keep part of that circus bleeding into the next era.  And I also believe when long eras have run their course and you claim to start fresh and new......you should actually do that.    Not keep a Marty Hurney around.  Exceptions to everything.  But overall, that's my stance when organizations find themselves where we have been.  

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

Look every time this year you do your thing.  I get it.  You go to the mats for anyone that says anything about someone currently employed on the Panthers.  We do this dance every offseason.   

the Panthers strategy has yielded a team that hasn't had a winning season in a half decade.   Barely won in the last decade.   So you constantly throwing that they clearly think different in my face, doesn't slap.  Nor does pretending like people can't be questioned.  The NFL is slammed full of idiots doing stupid stuff just like every other walk of life. There are people literally running #1 super power on planet Earth right now that can't tie their freaking shoes.  In both parties.   Literally can't. 

and yeah, when you create one of the biggest jokes in the modern day NFL (which was the Rhule era)....you likely should burn it all.  I think that is the best play overall.   You don't keep part of that circus bleeding into the next era.  And I also believe when long eras have run their course and you claim to start fresh and new......you should actually do that.    Not keep a Marty Hurney around.  Exceptions to everything.  But overall, that's my stance when organizations find themselves where we have been.  

Again, no.

What's you're suggesting is just dumb, regardless of who it's aimed at, and not just in terms of football.

Why, under any circumstance, would you fire someone you believe is good at their job just because they were associated with someone who's bad?

That's just goofy.

• Pie 1

Tying Fitterer to Rhule is just weird, IMO. Fitt didn’t hire Rhule, he was saddled with him. And we all know Rhule had more power than he deserved. Only Fitt, Rhule, and Tepper know which decisions were from whom, but I think who is still here and who isn’t is a pretty good indicator. I’m pretty confident this is the first off-season/season in which Fitterer has gotten to be a full GM and do things his way. He’s best judged on results from here forward.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

It's difficult to determine where Rhule's responsibility for our current state of the team ended and Fitterer's responsibility began, but for the day Rhule was fired. That's the only clear line of demarcation that we really have. [Not to mention, that we know that Rhule had full roster control] As such, I would be surprised if he is axed after the season. 

I think that Tepper did an accounting before he axed Rhule. He decided that Fitterer would have a certain amount of time to right the ship. Being that Tepper seems like a relatively patient guy, not given in to knee-jerk reactions, I believe that the only thing that would get Fitterer fired after this season is a gross waste of resources. That was really the big no-no that Tepper mentioned in his first presser after Rhule was axed. So far, in my opinion, draft picks (plus D.J. Moore) that we spent relative to the value that we believe we're getting with Bryce Young was a good transaction. So we're good on that front. I don't think that anyone can argue that the cap isn't in great shape. So far, mission accomplished. Fitterer appears to be playing the long game.

Agree on all points.

I've been chastised before for suggesting Tepper is patient, because he fired Rivera several games before the end the 2019 season.  My response was that a lot of new owners and posters on this forum would have canned both Rivera and Hurney before the 2019 season began.  Nearly everybody saw that was the inevitable outcome by the end of 2018.

The only complaint I had (other than I thought they would both be axed prior to 2019) was that he should he canned Hurney first and let a new GM lead the HC search.  Who knows, had he done that maybe we don't wind up hiring a buffoon because of a plate of meatballs?

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, csx said:

Tepper knows where the line was between Rhule and Fit was and that's all that matters.

I don't believe he's anywhere remotely close to the hot seat.

But what we think is irrelevant 

At least there are real proven NFL adults in the room now making the choices 

• Pie 2

Again, no.

What's you're suggesting is just dumb, regardless of who it's aimed at, and not just in terms of football.

Why, under any circumstance, would you fire someone you believe is good at their job just because they were associated with someone who's bad?

That's just goofy.

This has literally nothing to do with anything he said. 

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

For me, autocorrect is a blessing and a curse

Or a bleeding and a course 😕

2 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The only complaint I had (other than I thought they would both be axed prior to 2019) was that he should he canned Hurney first and let a new GM lead the HC search.  Who knows, had he done that maybe we don't wind up hiring a buffoon because of a plate of meatballs?

A lot of us wondered about that.

We've learned since his firing that Tepper actually became disillusioned with Rhule after his very first season, but still stuck with him for what would have been two more.

"Patient" is definitely one way to describe that.

Again, no.

That's just goofy.

I mean, what the Panthers have been doing has been dumb.  Proven dumb. Hence, the losing.  Hence, being a comedy tour. 

Fitt is only good at his job via the perspective that he didn't actually do anything and was wallpaper in Matt Rhule's office his entire time.   Which again, gets into the nonsensical mental gymnastics I have grown tired of hearing.   Rhule becomes the scapegoat for all.  And Rhule is a dirty liar if he dares says others were part of the flaming bag of dog poo lol.  

Like I said, praise away.  Not everyone has to do the super fan schtick at the start of every season.  Something you have to accept.   Especially, when an org has been one of the worst in the NFL for some time now. 

• Pie 1