• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Burns is back in pads at practice

JawnyBlaze

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

They have no money and no picks, thats why half of their roster is rookies.  Donald  and Burns aint moving the needle off a top 10 pick.  Kupp is already hurt, donald is a year older and Stafford is a walking infirmary. 

They were desperate and fitt couldnt smell it

I'm guessing if they had Burns and Donald, they find a way to keep Ramsey though as well.  

They also probably would have been able to get a few other vets to come there on cheaper deals to try and make a run at a ring.

And yes, Kupp being banged up hurts their prospects, but again, that's a recent thing, he'd have been perfectly healthy during the off season when they'd have still been trying to put together a contending roster.

They'd have gone the Saints route and found a way to keep kicking the can down the road to keep a good roster together for another season.

Edited by tukafan21

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Some said he wanted 30-34 mil.

These rumors are making my head spin.

28mil seems reasonable given his age. He is our pass rush to be honest. I just want us to get this deal done so we have no distractions during the season.

lol 28 is not really reasonable. it may be necessary because that's how things go with rising cap and such an in demand position (pass rusher). TJ Watt is the highest paid Edge in the league at 28mil/yr, next is J Bosa at 27per and Garrett at 25per. Those guys have nearly twice as many sacks in like 25% more games played and all 3 are much more complete players (i.e. not trash against the run). I like Burns don't get me wrong but 28 is not reasonable. But often times players like him do get unreasonable contracts and that's just the reality. I highly doubt he gets 28 though, 25-26 maybe.

1 minute ago, t96 said:

lol 28 is not really reasonable. it may be necessary because that's how things go with rising cap and such an in demand position (pass rusher). TJ Watt is the highest paid Edge in the league at 28mil/yr, next is J Bosa at 27per and Garrett at 25per. Those guys have nearly twice as many sacks in like 25% more games played and all 3 are much more complete players (i.e. not trash against the run). I like Burns don't get me wrong but 28 is not reasonable. But often times players like him do get unreasonable contracts and that's just the reality. I highly doubt he gets 28 though, 25-26 maybe.

People really need to stop comparing a potential Burns deal to deals signed a year or two ago.

It's not hard to understand, every off season the next batch of elite players at a position pass by the previous high contracts.  It's the reason Mahomes is like the 10th highest paid QB after he was the Top guy the second he signed his deal a few years ago.

I guarantee there will be no less than 5-6 players in the next 2 years that will sign bigger deals than whatever we give Burns, plus the couple guys who would still have bigger deals than him right now.

If I were to tell you that in 2 years, we'd have Burns locked up for another 4 years while being paid in the 10-12th highest paid lineman/pass rusher in the league, is there anyone who wouldn't be thrilled about that?

Stop looking at the moment and look at the bigger picture.

1 hour ago, Ricky Prickles said:

What do you think Bosa ultimately settles at? Burns should be below him obviously but probably going to be very close

I bet Bosa ends up at 30 a year and Burns at 25 or 26.  And whatever it is, while it may seem high now, will end up looking like a bargain in a few years.

• Beer 1

Just now, tukafan21 said:

People really need to stop comparing a potential Burns deal to deals signed a year or two ago.

It's not hard to understand, every off season the next batch of elite players at a position pass by the previous high contracts.  It's the reason Mahomes is like the 10th highest paid QB after he was the Top guy the second he signed his deal a few years ago.

I guarantee there will be no less than 5-6 players in the next 2 years that will sign bigger deals than whatever we give Burns, plus the couple guys who would still have bigger deals than him right now.

If I were to tell you that in 2 years, we'd have Burns locked up for another 4 years while being paid in the 10-12th highest paid lineman/pass rusher in the league, is there anyone who wouldn't be thrilled about that?

Stop looking at the moment and look at the bigger picture.

I fully understand this concept and even alluded to it in my post, but it really only applies directly with players in the same tier, Burns is a tier below those other guys at the top of the market. At least I see him as a tier below, maybe the Panthers will cave and the league sees him in the same tier but I'm skeptical of that. 25-26 per year makes sense and I would bet that is what he winds up getting if we extend him now. 

IF he plays the year out here in a 3-4 and dominates in the scheme change (very possible) then I may elevate him to that top tier and he can reset the market but that has yet to happen and is just projecting. 

19 minutes ago, CRA said:

Well, given we drafted Bryce Young and have to develop him.  Which is what the next 1-3 years will really be about.   I’d prefer Moore.  My answer probably would depend where my team was. 

We hit a legit true rebuild window.  Burns was essentially the one move running counter to it. 

Fit said they offered CHI more picks but they would only do the deal if they could get a player.

50 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Or, you get two Everette Browns. 

Sure...but if you constantly view draft picks through the lens of "worst case scenario", then we just traded up to first overall to draft JaMarcus Russell.  And there's no point in even retaining first round picks, we might as well trade them every year for known commodities.  But the reality is, high draft picks are among the most valuable assets you can have in the NFL, and there's a reason for that.

1 minute ago, t96 said:

I fully understand this concept and even alluded to it in my post, but it really only applies directly with players in the same tier, Burns is a tier below those other guys at the top of the market. At least I see him as a tier below, maybe the Panthers will cave and the league sees him in the same tier but I'm skeptical of that. 25-26 per year makes sense and I would bet that is what he winds up getting if we extend him now. 

IF he plays the year out here in a 3-4 and dominates in the scheme change (very possible) then I may elevate him to that top tier and he can reset the market but that has yet to happen and is just projecting. 

I think the whole tier system is also a fallacy

Elite players don't grow on trees, this isn't like an accountant, where if the person you want is asking for too much money, you can easily pass on him and go out and get someone equally as good for less money.  You don't pay a player because of what they're worth, you pay a player because of what they're worth to another team because you have to beat them out on contract offers.

If Burns were an unrestricted FA right now, he'd easily get a contract over $25 million and probably pushing $30, because another team in need of pass rushing would give it to him as you have to overpay to get players of his talent.

So in essence, you're never paying the player for what they're worth, you're paying what it takes to keep the player from going to another team, and once you look at it like that, you can't look at players in terms of tiers of elite status or even what others have been paid.

You can see the same thing in reverse right now for RB's.  There were a ton of RBs on the market this year, which is why they struggled to get good contracts, because if a team passed on an RB, there were a plethora of other options out there, which isn't the case with top end pass rushers.

• Pie 1