• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The preseason performances has left a bad taste in a lot pundits mouths

GoobyPls

10 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

The problem we had this preseason was sustaining drives and having 1/2 people miss their assignment and ruin the play. How often that happens in week one will matter a lot. How fluid do we look? How comfortable will Bryce be? Will he make panic decisions? Is our defense playing fast or do they look slow? There's a lot we will get to see from this team week one besides a win or loss

Those things take time. You don't judge your team off the 1st game. There has to be a trend of those things to judge a team.

Week 1 is ugly football. Teams are rusty. Win/lose/draw im taking that game for what it is.

I just want to be competitive. 

7 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

The 1st game of the season vs a non contender will tell us were we stand?

Im thinking by week 4 we know for sure where we stand as a team. Never judge a team off 1 game.

Even then we won’t know for sure. Did anyone think at 1-3 in 2013 we’d win 11 of the next 12? 

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, t96 said:

Even then we won’t know for sure. Did anyone think at 1-3 in 2013 we’d win 11 of the next 12? 

Kinda comparing apples to oranges, but the ONLY thing that I've known after a first Panthers game is that Cam was going to be a bigger gamer than any of us could imagine.

We have the element of surprise against the Falcons thanks in part to our smokescreen poop preseason. We have an edge and we need to leverage that against the disadvantage of having a rookie QB. Other teams don't really know what's coming, and early reports were that we have installed way more of our offense than you normally would with a rookie QB. Then those reports stopped, and we got quiet about it. We might be getting ready to unload hell on the Falcons.

Pundits actually know less than Huddlers when it comes to the Panthers. Many Huddlers know the entire Panthers roster, and have seen way more than any pundit as far as practice and preseason play is concerned. Football pundits typically rely on their name, and try to do the bare minimum in studying a team like the Panthers because most of America doesn't care at all about the Panthers. So a pundit will have Bryce Young comments ready when the Panthers segment comes up, and after that they can just poop on the rest of the team and move on. No one will care. Keep it moving. Get to NY teams, the Cowboys, Steelers, ect. For the longest time we might as well have been the Cam Newtons and not the Panthers. "And now on to Cam Newton, the Newtons played the New York Giants last night..."

• Pie 1

I don't think well see what we're capable of until at least 4 or 5 weeks in. Too many new things (Players, coaches, plays & systems, etc). If we win the first 3, I wouldn't get too excited, maybe the rest of the league didn't figure us out yet. If we lose the first 3, we didn't figure ourselves out yet. 

In fact I don't think we hit a stride (what ever that is) until mid season. Let's just hope we're in decent shape to battle for a playoff spot. I'm gonna be a fan and root hard no matter what. I believe in the staff and QB Young. It's gonna take time.

19 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

I’ve listen to a ton of nfl/sports podcast and one thing I’ve noticed over the last month is that the preseason performance has completely shifted everyone opinion on us. Guys like Bill Simmons, Cowherd, Simms,  the PFF and bootleg football have all soured on the team. At one point they were all saying we might be sneaky playoff team 2 months ago, now we are giving the bears a top 5 pick and finishing last in the south 

Never knew people put that muck stock into preseason

0-3 teams in preseason generally don't go on to have good regular seasons.

Are you guys still bitching about the preseason? I have never seen such bullshit about preseason games, they dont ***** count for anything. 

The Majority of the bums that played during preseason arent on our team or any other team for that matter. Never seen such an uproar over guys who arent going to see the field for any team this year or any year for that matter. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, PootieNunu said:

Are you guys still bitching about the preseason? I have never seen such bullshit about preseason games, they dont ***** count for anything. 

The Majority of the bums that played during preseason arent on our team or any other team for that matter. Never seen such an uproar over guys who arent going to see the field for any team this year or any year for that matter. 

It's the Huddle way. If there is no real reason to bitcch, they'll make one up. The Negativity just won't go away. The vocal minority are here to stay so it seems.

5 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

0-3 teams in preseason generally don't go on to have good regular seasons.

Not this urban legend again.  There have been two preseasons where teams played three games followed by regular seasons.  Here are the fates of teams that went 0-3 vs. 3-0.

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/topic/189299-how-important-is-it-that-we-win-preseason-games/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-6202767

I am concerned about how the individual performances looked.  But in terms of putting any stock in a team going 0-3, read the above post.

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Not this urban legend again.  There have been two preseasons where teams played three games followed by regular seasons.  Here are the fates of teams that went 0-3 vs. 3-0.

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/topic/189299-how-important-is-it-that-we-win-preseason-games/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-6202767

I am concerned about how the individual performances looked.  But in terms of putting any stock in a team going 0-3, read the above post.

I don't understand why folks are so up in arms over preseason. We were told they were going to put players in no win situations. None of us no what they wanted, or if they got what they were looking for. Evaluation.

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

I don't understand why folks are so up in arms over preseason. We were told they were going to put players in no win situations. None of us no what they wanted, or if they got what they were looking for. Evaluation.

I don't get it, either.  Preseason results have become more irrelevant as time has gone on.  They were never all that relevant to start with.  And in this case, we were told not to try and make any sense out of it, yet people do.

Then this nonsense about teams going 0-3 not having regular season success is completely refuted by the limited results we have seen.  Yet it keeps coming up.

I'm not even convinced we can draw a lot of conclusions by what teams do in the first three or four weeks of the regular season, let alone preseason.  Hell, the 49ers took almost half the season to pull themselves together last year.  Granted, that is the exception, but it happens.

We could stink.  We could be this year's Cinderella team.  Most likely the reality will be somewhere in between, but we have no idea right now and won't for a few weeks.

Yet, the narrative continues.  Some people just aren't happy unless they are not happy.

• Beer 1