• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What magic can we pull to find a receiver?

RIPTreyLance

1 minute ago, Growl said:

yeah but I mean jaylen waddle or Jameson William type players are out there and that would be good enough for me 

we have got to go find a Dynamo 

Agreed, I was really hoping we'd find a way to trade back into the late first and get Zay Flowers when he was still there in the early 20's, I think he's going to be a guy like that real soon.  Honestly at this point, our best bet at finding a player like that is either through a trade or with our first rounder in 2025.  

Tee Higgins is going to be available through a franchise tag and trade, but we had to give up too much draft assets to get Bryce for me to like giving up the first rounder they'd want for us to then have to give him a big contract.  It would just be better to wait a year and draft someone in the first to get them on a rookie deal for 5 years than make that trade.

2 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I could be wrong but I really don’t like the idea of acquiring Tee Higgins.  He’s got Chase taking a lot of attention away from him.  I’m not sold he’s a real number 1.

In the 4 weeks Chase missed with that injury last year, Higgins put up numbers that would have made him 3rd in both catches and yards last year if done across 17 games at those averages, as well as have 8.5 TDs as he had 2 in those 4 games.

He's a #1, no question about it.

But after the Bryce trade, we can't trade away another first rounder to give a $20 million a year contract to said player.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I don’t like what Fitt has done.  Haven’t for a bit.

But this is a rebuild.  Next draft IMO should be like that first Dave one but offensive.  Go draft some offensive skill guys.   And then pay attention to free agents that might come up.  

But no letting Fitt mess with our assets.  I think big picture he has done a very bad job with the management of our assets and trades. 

and I don’t get the CMC or DJ trade really. Should have just kept them both.  If we were going to develop a #1 overall QB.  Give up Derrick Brown and figure out something else to get Young.  Just doesn’t seem worth it in the end what we did. 

He said it's not a rebuild though. He said you build the roster so you can drop your rookie QB in for that 4-5 year window. Now he doesn't wanna pay Burns while we have the cheap rookie QB they wanted. Guy is all talk at this point. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

57 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

I don’t think trading Horn when his stock has bottomed out due to injuries is the best idea. 

Because it's not, he has no decent trade value right now with his inability to stay on the field, regardless of the talent he's shown when on it.

If someone was dumb enough to offer up a 2nd for him, you take it, but even for a 3rd, you let him play out these last 2 years of his rookie deal and hope he finds the magic elixir to staying healthy and then re-sign him to a reasonable contract if he does, if not, it's just a pick that didn't work out due to health reasons.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Fitts made his decision to rely on signing an oft-injured vet, an over the hill vet, and a motley crew of unheralded, unproven youngsters. He traded his only proven WR to get his QB.

I'm of the firm opinion of not letting Scott Fitterer mortgage anymore of our future on this current roster. If there's someone we can sign? Fine. Someone requiring us to trade significant assets for and then pay huge money? Nah, man. I don't have near enough confidence that you're the right guy for the future to let you do that.

For real, Marty at least hits with the first round picks. Fitterer has been very subpar with pretty much every aspect of GM'ing thus far

8 hours ago, RIPTreyLance said:

Clearly none of the guys we have are the answer. Nobody can get seperation. We don’t have a first round pick next year and good receivers don’t just grow on trees. Sign and trade for tee Higgins or bust?

You mean the Tee Higgins that goose egged for my fantasy team this week? No thanks

6 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Because it's not, he has no decent trade value right now with his inability to stay on the field, regardless of the talent he's shown when on it.

If someone was dumb enough to offer up a 2nd for him, you take it, but even for a 3rd, you let him play out these last 2 years of his rookie deal and hope he finds the magic elixir to staying healthy and then re-sign him to a reasonable contract if he does, if not, it's just a pick that didn't work out due to health reasons.

What about Fitterer’s second and third round draft history gives you any hope that he’ll find a worthwhile player there?

All of you guys saying we need to find a WR would be singing a different tune had Young hit Mingo on that 99 yard TD. This is why casual NFL fans aren't GMs. It takes more than 1 game to develop a young team and that's exactly what we have, a young team with brand new coaching schemes. It's going to be a bumpy ride with plenty of lows and hopefully enough highs for a solid season. No one is coming to save us so might as well strap in and enjoy the ride.

7 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

He said it's not a rebuild though. He said you build the roster so you can drop your rookie QB in for that 4-5 year window. Now he doesn't wanna pay Burns while we have the cheap rookie QB they wanted. Guy is all talk at this point. 

He said it’s not a rebuild because we have not won in a half decade and Fitt was supposed to be part of the Rhule era rebuild (which never was one).   Was a clusterfug off nothing is instead. That’s lip service because of the the annoyed audience. 

all new coaches, all new schemes, rookie QB starting, traded away CMC and DJ Moore.  That’s a rebuild.   If it isn’t, rebuilds don’t exist. 

If we are looking a street FAs at this point, I'd take a swing a RB and TE.  There are some decent ones still unsigned.  As far as WRs, the only way to upgrade is to trade.  It bare out there.  Yes, some old, washed up, former stars are available, but the washed up part should be a sign to stay away.

1) Sign a bruiser RB

2) Sign a TE

3) If feasible, trade for a WR.

8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

For a rookie with what he has around him, I thought Young looked pretty good in the first half. Completed two-thirds of his passes and bounced back from a pick to throw a TD pass.

I'd give him a B for the first half and probably a C- for the second half. Not all his fault because the receivers were useless, but the missed deep ball made me cringe. Need some good momentum sometime, but realistically, next week's not likely that time. This whole board was patient with Matt Rhule for one and a half seasons. I'm gonna give Young more than 3 games.

Rapport takes time and I think that's what the offense's biggest issue is. They just need some time together to gel. 

Hell, Thielen was saying in an interview this offseason that him and Kirk were out of sync on a route they never ran against a particular coverage after 4 years together. They had to stop and discuss how to attack it, then practice it to make sure the timing was right. 

That is with a 10+year vet QB throwing him the ball and a guy he'd built rapport with over 4 years. 

Now multiply that by Bryce being a rookie and never throwing to any one of these receivers until 4 months ago. Also none of them are very great at the moment. 

Mingo still has to develop, Thielen is a stop-gap and Shenault is a gimmick guy.  The problem is the dude who should be hitting his prime...stinks, TMJ.  There is no other way to put it.  A handful of games a season he will display some glimmer of an up and coming WR, but otherwise is a non-factor.  Another Rhule pick I didn't agree with.  This staff has really got it's work cut out for them to be competitive with Matt's leftovers.