• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Simms on Bryce Young

NAS

1 hour ago, 96Bravo said:

Simms is continuing this narrative that we have a bad o-line. First Take said the same last week. I'm getting a little annoyed by this. The line looked good yesterday...like it did most last season. We get it, the line made some uncharacteristic mistakes in the 2nd preseason game, but c'mon!

The OL looked great yesterday for three reasons:

1) they rarely rushed more than four and dropped a ton into coverage 
2) Atlanta didn't run many stunts (stupid on their part). Once they did, Christensen was confused, standing by himself, and Bryce was on his back
3) They actually performed better than any time in preseason

It's reasonable to expect a poorer performance from them this week, because the pass rush will be coming and they're gonna want to see if Young can find a WR on a blitz.

43 minutes ago, PanthersGOATFan336 said:

Mahomes also made it to the conference championship his first year starring, can we compare Bryce to him in that aspect too?

Mahomes was drafted by KC in 2017 but only threw 35 passes his rookie season. He didn't start until 2018. From 2013 (Reid's 1st year) through 2017 KC made the playoffs 4 times and their worst season during that stretch was a 9-7 2nd place division finish in 2014. The Chiefs were a good, but not great, team with Alex Smith at quarterback.

Mahomes inherited a supporting cast that was a whole lot better than what Bryce is working with in Carolina. The Panthers have had 5 straight losing seasons prior to Bryce Young's arrival. Mahomes joined a team that had 5 straight winning seasons before he took over as starter.  

It's unfair to compare their first seasons as starters.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, SCO96 said:

Mahomes was drafted by KC in 2017 but only threw 35 passes his rookie season. He didn't start until 2018. From 2013 (Reid's 1st year) through 2017 KC made the playoffs 4 times and their worst season during that stretch was a 9-7 2nd place division finish in 2014. The Chiefs were a good, but not great, team with Alex Smith at quarterback.

Mahomes inherited a supporting cast that was a whole lot better than what Bryce is working with in Carolina. The Panthers have had 5 straight losing seasons prior to Bryce Young's arrival. Mahomes joined a team that had 5 straight winning seasons before he took over as starter.  

It's unfair to compare their first seasons as starters.

You are wasting your time with that guy. He's the kind that didn't want Bryce or Frank in the first place so nothing either of them do will be good enough.  

• Pie 6

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I don't know what this thing going around the Huddle is about Young having a weak arm. I guess it makes some people feel better.

Yeah, his arm is definitely good enough.  I'd say it is about on the same level as Joe Burrow's.  That plus a crazy quick release, it really won't be an issue that holds him or the offense back (when we get capable downfield receivers).

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

It's Brady-ish. I don't think coaches should worry about "fixing" stuff like that.  You can ruin dudes tinkering with what got them to this level. 

It would be like trying to fix Phillip Rivers shotputting the ball.  That's just what they are. 

I agree it's Brady-ish, but Brady's stride got him significantly further from the pass rush due to the height difference.  This can be seen easily on film.  Generally when I see a smaller guy I expect him to have jack rabbit type movement in the feet.  His slow ass backdrop is going to let rushers get to him before he's set because he's a foot more closer to them than the prototype sized qb.  The successful smaller QBs are all very quick in the feet.  

Also, lets not forget what Aaron Rodgers throwing motion and mechanics looked like when he was in college vs what coaches were able to do with him in the pros.  It's fixable. 

Screenshot this post.  I absolutely guarantee we will be bitching about this exact problem later in the season.

3 hours ago, NAS said:

DJ Chark getting healthy is the most important thing for this offense, there has to be a vertical threat to this offense and Bryce needs to make some deep throws to keep these safeties from crowding the middle of the field.

Frank Reich just talked about this in the press conference.  Having DJ back will help them a lot.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Yes. He was. Funny he hasn’t even been posting until today.

Man these guys really can't let it go that the team went in a different direction.  It's sad really and I don't think Stroud was able to even score a touchdown in his rookie debut.  Growing pains are just part of it.

37 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

The OL looked great yesterday for three reasons:

1) they rarely rushed more than four and dropped a ton into coverage 
2) Atlanta didn't run many stunts (stupid on their part). Once they did, Christensen was confused, standing by himself, and Bryce was on his back
3) They actually performed better than any time in preseason

It's reasonable to expect a poorer performance from them this week, because the pass rush will be coming and they're gonna want to see if Young can find a WR on a blitz.

They played well through most of last season.  We had a 4th round rookie starting at OG and still looked solid.  They will have their share of bad games I am sure, but they definitely aren't my top concern from week 1.  Not to mention Corbett will be coming back after a few more weeks.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

They played well through most of last season.  We had a 4th round rookie starting at OG and still looked solid.  They will have their share of bad games I am sure, but they definitely aren't my top concern from week 1.  Not to mention Corbett will be coming back after a few more weeks.

Zavala did a hell of a job.

• Pie 1