• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Simms on Bryce Young

NAS

4 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I am nearly positive the second INT occurred because Bryce couldn't clearly see past the offensive line and those big bodies were blocking the view of Bates.

It was most likely a combination of

1. Bryce Young not expecting him there based on his pre-snap read of the defense

2. Not seeing him as Bates was in his 'blind' spot

Tall QBs often don't see linebackers or safeties either.  Everyone has blind spots depending on someone's position on any given plays.

Hey, at least there were no batted down passes, or this place would have really lost its mind.

• Pie 7

22 minutes ago, NAS said:

Even Chris Simms who was notoriously a  Bryce doubter came out of this game with mostly positive takeaways about Bryce Young.

Interesting that he doesn't even think the interceptions were that horrible, Bryce was expecting the safety to go deep but because we don't have a deep threat the free safety played more shallow than he expected. 

As he said, this is the NFL and I'm sure Bryce will learn from this experience.  

DJ Chark getting healthy is the most important thing for this offense, there has to be a vertical threat to this offense and Bryce needs to make some deep throws to keep these safeties from crowding the middle of the field.

Watch from 57:38.  

I mean, I'm sure Smith-Marsette and Mingo can run a legit deep route. Yesterday, we just did not have good coaching. Situationally, the coaching/play calling left a lot to be desired.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, NAS said:

It was most likely a combination of

1. Bryce Young not expecting him there based on his pre-snap read of the defense

2. Not seeing him as Bates was in his 'blind' spot

Tall QBs often don't see linebackers or safeties either.  Everyone has blind spots depending on someone's position on any given plays.

Hey, at least there were no batted down passes, or this place would have really lost its mind.

I don't think it was solely due to his height either, but a contributing factor.

28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly didn't see much to get excited about 

I did.

He's cool, he's smart, he's poised and he's pretty accurate.

Yes, there are growing pains (like him fading as the game went on) but for a rookie starting his first game he looked pretty good.

18 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Bryce went through full field reads the entire game, which is something not many rookies can do their first game.

Hell, these days some guys can't even do that by year three.

• Pie 4

33 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I am nearly positive the second INT occurred because Bryce couldn't clearly see past the offensive line and those big bodies were blocking the view of Bates.

I’m not sure. This is the throw. There is a clear line of site for Bryce down the hash marks. Bates came running down the hash marks and made the INT on the hash marks. I think he just misjudged how far away Bates was.

F04ED3F3-311A-4CC2-B634-268DB58AB890.png

AC23B872-FB58-422F-8998-631FC63A5A78.png

Edited by Tbe

3 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I’m not sure. This is the throw. There is a clear line of site for Bryce down the hash marks. Bates came running down the hash marks and made the INT on the hash marks. I think he just misjudged how far away Bates was.

Learning the speed at which things happen in the NFL is a big part of the rookie quarterback adjustment.

• Pie 6

23 minutes ago, Smithers said:

The only thing I can say truly excited me was his pocket awareness and ability to extend plays.  Everything else is TBD

This. His accuracy wasn't as good as I expected and the two INTs were both late throws across the middle with a lurking safety. That's always a danger ball and one you better not throw unless you have a cannon of an arm and pinpoint accuracy. Bryce's arm has always looked NFL average at best to my eyes. His mobility and slipperiness was basically what I expected. He's not Michael Vick by any stretch of the imagination but he can buy some time and run a little bit when he has to.

I'd be lying if I said I was completely convinced that his mind can make up for what the body lacks.

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Tbe said:

F04ED3F3-311A-4CC2-B634-268DB58AB890.png

AC23B872-FB58-422F-8998-631FC63A5A78.png

yeah Mingo was running the bait deep route on that play... and Bates didnt fall for it... so I guess you could have called TMJ's route the "Bates route".... ayyyyy

32 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

My thoughts exactly. First pick was more a great play by the safety than a bad read by Bryce.

Second one though was a bad throw/decision and like he didn't even see him.

Bryce went through full field reads the entire game, which is something not many rookies can do their first game. If receivers could actually get open I have faith he'll find them eventually. 

I noticed the lack of separation the receivers were getting most of the game.  They had a few plays in the first half that I thought the patterns were run well and receivers got open, but largely anything in the gaps they had would have been forced.  Maybe prime Marino, Kelly, or Favre would have blasted the ball in there, but they would have come with the associated picks.

Coming in I thought (as did many) that our receiver group was the most questionable/suspect unit on offense.  I did not see anything yesterday that refuted that judgement.  I saw a few flashes otherwise, but not nearly enough.

Young will learn and adapt, but we clearly need to get him some help.  Get him may involve getting a true field-stretching WR or scheming things so the TE is open, if nothing else.  Our TE's we open largely after the Falcons switched to a prevent, which coincidentally creates some of the same gaps that a field-stretching WR would.

I didn't see much to get excited about anywhere on offense yesterday, but I also didn't see much to jump off a cliff over, either.  The biggest weakness I saw was the one I expected.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's always a danger ball and one you better not throw unless you have a cannon of an arm and pinpoint accuracy.

I don't care how strong of an arm you have on those throws it's getting intercepted 90% of the time because the safety is lurking and expecting it.  It was just a bad read / decision.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, NAS said:

I don't care how strong of an arm you have on those throws it's getting intercepted 90% of the time because the safety is lurking and expecting it.  It was just a bad read / decision.

The first one I think a guy with a hose maybe gets it in there. It'd still be ill advised. The second one was just all around bad though.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The first one I think a guy with a hose maybe gets it in there. It'd still be ill advised. The second one was just all around bad though.

The second one surprised me. I know he's a rookie and this was his first start, but as advertised "doesn't make the same mistake twice" didn't show itself on that. 

Nothing to panic over yet, this season will be a (ahem) process.

• Pie 1