• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney, Dave Gettleman, Scott Fitterer

Sean Payton's Vicodin

The best of the worst!  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the BEST?

• Marty Hurney
    • David Gettleman
    • Scott Fitterer
  2. 2. Who was the WORST?

• Marty Hurney
    • David Gettleman
    • Scott Fitterer

7 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Because that second tenure didn’t yield the results due to injury, and Ron pretty much, cam was never healthy again after 2017(ironically our last playoff season) but we had talent, we just couldn’t get a qb, also if it’s true about the Herbert article, then he was getting ready to leave us with another parting gift. A decent gm in that time nothing special tho 

Marty 2.0 did leave us with a parting gift.

Matt Rhule 

14 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Hurney drafted most of the panthers legends of the last 20 years. 

And built sh-tty losing teams around them.

You don't get graded on only your first round picks . You get graded on full teams. Marty built a steady stream of losers...which of course is why we kept getting high first round picks.

• Pie 1

All dog sh!t

Gettleman wasn’t good at anything and rode the coattails of Cam and Luke. Neither of which he drafted. I said he’d get chased out of NY in a hurry and he did. 

Fitterer literally hasn’t done a single thing right. Gets into bidding wars with himself in the free agency market and trade market. Can’t draft. 

Hurney was a moron but to his credit he made a lot of money doing a job he had no business having 

• Pie 4

Fitt to me is basically a nightmare. Every time a big decision pops up he does the opposite of what I want. That doesn't mean I'm saying he's a bad GM, but rather I'm saying the decisions he makes are not what I want for the team. I nearly imploded when he traded for Sam, and I still don't think my soul has recovered from that one. I'm not really going to get into everything he's done that I didn't want, but I'll leave it at he never does what I want. I'm not going to say he's a bad GM until after he's done here. Maybe this will all pan out and I'm not seeing the bigger picture.

Gettleman had the cold blooded nature that I like in a GM, but he directed it at the wrong vets and the right vets alike. I only wanted Gettleman to be ruthless to marginal or overpaid players, not ring of honor Panthers players. I liked his almost psychopathic lack of caring for the middle guys and the scrubs, but you don't do that to Panthers legends. Also Gettleman's ability to evaluate players in the draft was lower than Hurney's, and Hurney was no savant. Gettleman's drafting made me want him gone asap. Vernon Butler anyone? Did you want him?

Hurney drafted some truly amazing superstar football players. I wanted Cam at the time, and I said he was going to run wild in the NFL, and I got pooped on here for saying that, and people said that wouldn't work in the NFL. That he could only do that in college. Marty went for it, and that was a great move at a time when the Huddle mostly wanted anyone else but Cam. The problem with Marty was that he didn't do well enough in the later rounds of the draft, and he was too buddy buddy with the players. He would sign a good player to a bank breaking mega deal when he should have been more like Gettleman and let them go. For instance, the Charles Johnson mega-deal for 72 million for 6 years in 2011 cap money, or the double trouble deals. It was just getting out of hand. He had to go, but he put the pieces in place for the 2015 run that Gettleman got credit for, and we had the better team in the SB. That should have been a SB win. 

We have not yet had a good GM imo, but I'm still going to wait on Fitt. It's not looking good atm though.

Edited by pantherj

8 hours ago, pantherj said:

Fitt to me is basically a nightmare. Every time a big decision pops up he does the opposite of what I want. That doesn't mean I'm saying he's a bad GM, but rather I'm saying the decisions he makes are not what I want for the team. I nearly imploded when he traded for Sam, and I still don't think my soul has recovered from that one. I'm not really going to get into everything he's done that I didn't want, but I'll leave it at he never does what I want. I'm not going to say he's a bad GM until after he's done here. Maybe this will all pan out and I'm not seeing the bigger picture.

Gettleman had the cold blooded nature that I like in a GM, but he directed it at the wrong vets and the right vets alike. I only wanted Gettleman to be ruthless to marginal or overpaid players, not ring of honor Panthers players. I liked his almost psychopathic lack of caring for the middle guys and the scrubs, but you don't do that to Panthers legends. Also Gettleman's ability to evaluate players in the draft was lower than Hurney's, and Hurney was no savant. Gettleman's drafting made me want him gone asap. Vernon Butler anyone? Did you want him?

I really don't think people give Gettleman enough credit for the players he drafted. First of all, he wasn't consistently picking at the beginning of the first like Marty's teams were, so the better talent was generally gone before he was picking. Secondly, he may not have found as much A+ talent as Marty did (Again, Avg draft position under hurney was 13th-ish and Gettleman it was 21st-ish) but he found plenty of Good to solid players in the C+ to B+ Range, something Marty was terrible at. If Marty wasn't drafting a star, he was drafting a guy that was out of the league after his rookie contract was over. Gettleman got us Star, KK, Shaq, CMC, Samuel, Moton, Turner, Daryl Williams, AJ Klein, Bradberry, and butker even if we didn't keep him. That's a damn solid crop of players over a 5 year span and doesn't even include Norwell as a UDFA. HE whiffed big on Butler, and KB ate himself out of the league, and the Matt Kalil contract was awful. Won't argue that. But his drafting, in general, get's shat on more than I think is deserved based on avg draft position and quality of players he was able to grab. 

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, pantherj said:

Hurney drafted some truly amazing superstar football players. I wanted Cam at the time, and I said he was going to run wild in the NFL, and I got pooped on here for saying that, and people said that wouldn't work in the NFL. That he could only do that in college. Marty went for it, and that was a great move at a time when the Huddle mostly wanted anyone else but Cam. The problem with Marty was that he didn't do well enough in the later rounds of the draft, and he was too buddy buddy with the players. He would sign a good player to a bank breaking mega deal when he should have been more like Gettleman and let them go. For instance, the Charles Johnson mega-deal for 72 million for 6 years in 2011 cap money, or the double trouble deals. It was just getting out of hand. He had to go, but he put the pieces in place for the 2015 run that Gettleman got credit for, and we had the better team in the SB. That should have been a SB win. 

We have not yet had a good GM imo, but I'm still going to wait on Fitt. It's not looking good atm though.

Gettleman's biggest issue was his ego IMO. He had to feel like he was winning the dick measuring contests even if he was cutting off his nose to spite his own face in the process. Doesn't matter. He showed that guy who's boss.

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I really don't think people give Gettleman enough credit for the players he drafted. First of all, he wasn't consistently picking at the beginning of the first like Marty's teams were, so the better talent was generally gone before he was picking. Secondly, he may not have found as much A+ talent as Marty did (Again, Avg draft position under hurney was  and under Gettleman it was 13th-ish and Gettleman it was 21st-ish) but he found plenty of Good to solid players in the C+ to B+ Range, something Marty was terrible at. If Marty wasn't drafting a star, he was drafting a guy that was out of the league after his rookie contract was over. Gettleman got us Star, KK, Shaq, CMC, Samuel, Moton, Turner, Daryl Williams, AJ Klein, Bradberry, and butker even if we didn't keep him. That's a damn solid crop of players over a 5 year span and doesn't even include Norwell as a UDFA. HE whiffed big on Butler, and KB ate himself out of the league, and the Matt Kalil contract was awful. Won't argue that. But his drafting, in general, get's shat on more than I think is deserved based on avg draft position and quality of players he was able to grab. 

I don’t think Gettleman was great and he made egregious mistakes but as you said we were a playoff team for his entire tenure so we drafted late every draft. CMC was his only high pick and 2017 might have been his best draft.

Gettleman did inherit Cam and Luke but I think his not being a Yes man to Ron helped build a solid team. The 2015 team was chock full of talent all over the place and had depth because post round 1 draftees like Turner, Boston, Williams, Norwell, Klein, Samuel, Funchess (I know but 2230 yards and 21 TDs is contributing in 4 years), Mayo, Butker damn it, etc. contributed. Marty 2.0 pretty much disintegrated that team in 3 years by drafting almost nothing post round 1 and brought us Rhule and Fitt.

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Gettleman's biggest issue was his ego IMO. He had to feel like he was winning the dick measuring contests even if he was cutting off his nose to spite his own face in the process. Doesn't matter. He showed that guy who's boss.

True and I think it helped with not letting Ron run free, but it didn’t help elsewhere, especially allowing Jerry to rehire Hurney. At least Gettleman was here when we had a nice run to watch. Since he’s been gone it’s been a struggle as a fan.

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I agree with what @pantherj said regarding him being ruthless. I wanted that. I wanted a GM to come in and play hardball so we wouldn't overpay someone like Williams, Anderson, or Johnson again. He took it too far though. Even if I do believe it was the right decision, the way he unceremoniously cut Smitty sucked. The Norman thing was just, so egregiously mishandled. Playing hardball was fine, and it was obvious that Norman was elevated by the system and players surrounding him so I had no problem not giving him the contract he eventually got in DC, but to cut him outright with zero compensation? Unnecessary and dumb.