• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I’m at the midway point of my life (41) and it’s starting to sink that I may not see this team win a Super Bowl….

TheBigKat

20 minutes ago, travisura said:

2001: 1-15 record, worst in the league. 2003: 11-5 record, made it to the Bowl.

2010: 2-14 record, worst in the league. 2015: 15-1 record, made it to the Bowl.

In the NFL, fortunes can change quickly. 

Those were keyed by defense so maybe we can be. I think if our defense can improve the next two years we can be a solid team in 2025. We will just need to find Justin Jefferson in that draft

18 minutes ago, SCP said:

I don’t think Tepper is worth a poo. I’m keeping my PSLs for two more seasons then I’m retiring from the Sunday tailgates and watching from home. I’ll still hit one road game a year, but the days of all the hard work, expense, and annoyance that goes into being a diehard tailgating fan are coming to an end. Tepper doesn’t deserve it. 

I go to a game or two a year since moving back to NC but even that seems like too much hassle these days. I'd rather just watch at home where I amcan also watch other games that hopefully provide a better football watching experience.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I go to a game or two a year since moving back to NC but even that seems like too much hassle these days. I'd rather just watch at home where I amcan also watch other games that hopefully provide a better football watching experience.

I went to every single home game from 2008-2019 and probably half from 2002-2007. I think Monday night might have been my 2nd game since 2019. I don't get rip roaring drunk any more or go tailgate at 8am for a 1pm kick. If we're going to suck ass I'm not going to invest an entire day plus a recovery day an 100s of dollars.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I was pretty surprised how loud the stadium got Sunday. So sad to see fans with hope being let down and as usual dying down as the game goes on. I’m not spending money on games anymore and haven’t for years. The irony would be Tepper selling his toy because of revenue loss from tanking it.

Tepper needs to hire someone to help him. JR did it, then went to the Super Bowl, albeit due to Cam. Why can’t Tepper hire someone? Can anyone give me a good reason why he can’t?

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, onmyown said:

I was pretty surprised how loud the stadium got Sunday. So sad to see fans with hope being let down and as usual dying down as the game goes on. I’m not spending money on games anymore and haven’t for years. The irony would be Tepper selling his toy because of revenue loss from tanking it.

Tepper needs to hire someone to help him. JR did it, then went to the Super Bowl, albeit due to Cam. Why can’t Tepper hire someone? Can anyone give me a good reason why he can’t?

The atmosphere was decent for a MNF game but quickly faded. Our entire section started clearing out at like the top of the 4th quarter even when the game was still very much in the balance.

@TheBigKat, all I can tell you is my own situation that I have said a few times on this here forum.

I've been an NFL and NHL fan since I was 8, back to 1969.  I grew up in St. Louis, so I am a Blues fan in hockey and was a Cardinals fan in the NFL (although more of a general NFL fan).  The Cardinals were hopeless, but I supported them anyway.

As for the Blues, almost every year they were good enough to make the Stanley Cup playoffs and good enough to generally get bounced in the first or second round.  It didn't matter how good or bad their regular season was, from 1971 on they were not to be found in the Stanley Cup Finals and almost never in the conference finals.  In 1970 (and 69 and 68) they were in the finals, but the way the league was structured, one expansion team from 1966 was going, it was them, and they were swept all three years. 

I moved from St. Louis in 1988 (as did the NFL Cardinals) and the only loyalty I had to the place was the Blues.  The yearly futility continued.  Making the playoffs in the NHL (as you may know) is not a big accomplishment since half the teams do.  I had accepted that I would leave this earth without seeing them win the Stanley Cup. They didn't even qualify for the 2018 playoffs, losing out in the last game of the regular season.

Approaching the midpoint of the 2019-2019 regular season they had the worst record in the entire league, had an interim coach, and had talent but looked lost.   Then the 2019 playoffs happened.  Long story shorter, in each of the four rounds they had a chance to do the usual "spring melt."  Each time, with me watching and waiting for the inevitable point where they eff it up, they responded to the challenge in a big way.  And, at 58 years of age after watching them for 50 years, I was fortunate enough to see them skate with the Stanley Cup.

The two morals of this story are:

• When you least expect it, expect it
  • I was much happier after I gave up all hope
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, therealmjl said:

The atmosphere was decent for a MNF game but quickly faded. Our entire section started clearing out at like the top of the 4th quarter even when the game was still very much in the balance.

Oops I meant Monday*.

After decades of watching football, some people can see the writing on the wall for the Panthers. I’ve left early a couple times before when it was still possible to win but I knew it wasn’t going to happen. And unfortunately I’ve never been wrong.

Most NFL games are generally close as it is. I saw a stat once how like 90% of games are decided by a single score. And for the Panthers I can’t even remember off hand a game they came back and won in the past five years. The Viking game with Darnold being the closest.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, TheBigKat said:

Am I and many of you about to be Browns/Bengals/Falcons/Lions fans who go their whole life without enjoying their team win it all

Compounding this is we’ve only had 7 ‘winning record’ seasons, that’s it.

When I was in my 20s it was always ‘next year’ now as I’ve aged on here with many of you it’s starting to feel ‘will we ever’

You can always put your Patriots jersey back on. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

@TheBigKat, all I can tell you is my own situation that I have said a few times on this here forum.

I've been an NFL and NHL fan since I was 8, back to 1969.  I grew up in St. Louis, so I am a Blues fan in hockey and was a Cardinals fan in the NFL (although more of a general NFL fan).  The Cardinals were hopeless, but I supported them anyway.

As for the Blues, almost every year they were good enough to make the Stanley Cup playoffs and good enough to generally get bounced in the first or second round.  It didn't matter how good or bad their regular season was, from 1971 on they were not to be found in the Stanley Cup Finals and almost never in the conference finals.  In 1970 (and 69 and 68) they were in the finals, but the way the league was structured, one expansion team from 1966 was going, it was them, and they were swept all three years. 

I moved from St. Louis in 1988 (as did the NFL Cardinals) and the only loyalty I had to the place was the Blues.  The yearly futility continued.  Making the playoffs in the NHL (as you may know) is not a big accomplishment since half the teams do.  I had accepted that I would leave this earth without seeing them win the Stanley Cup. They didn't even qualify for the 2018 playoffs, losing out in the last game of the regular season.

Approaching the midpoint of the 2019-2019 regular season they had the worst record in the entire league, had an interim coach, and had talent but looked lost.   Then the 2019 playoffs happened.  Long story shorter, in each of the four rounds they had a chance to do the usual "spring melt."  Each time, with me watching and waiting for the inevitable point where they eff it up, they responded to the challenge in a big way.  And, at 58 years of age after watching them for 50 years, I was fortunate enough to see them skate with the Stanley Cup.

The two morals of this story are:

• When you least expect it, expect it
  • I was much happier after I gave up all hope

Man this story gives me hope!

Just now, onmyown said:

Oops I meant Monday*.

After decades of watching football, some people can see the writing on the wall for the Panthers. I’ve left early a couple times before when it was still possible to win but I knew it wasn’t going to happen. And unfortunately I’ve never been wrong.

Most NFL games are generally close as it is. I saw a stat once how like 90% of games are decided by a single score. And for the Panthers I can’t even remember off hand a game they came back and won in the past five years. The Viking game with Darnold being the closest.

I was at the Viking game with Darnold. Went into OT right? I recall folks piling out of that one too. 

This team hasn't given the fans any reason to stick around.

• Pie 1