• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Average time to throw (Spoiler alert: Bryce is 2nd to last)

LinvilleGorge

25 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

So he's the same dude as last season who had a ~67% completion rate, a 2:1 TD/Int ratio, 205 YPG, 95.2 QB rating?  That looks pretty solid to me for a back-up QB.  He's basically a Teddy Bridgewater who isn't afraid to take deep shots, which is one of Teddy's biggest criticisms.  I'm not saying he's an elite starting QB.

And if my whole point is that this board underrates him, then what is the point of mentioning how he was viewed last season in the gameday thread?  Yeah I'm sure people were pretty harsh on him, because...he's underrated, that's my point.

Andy Dalton has been called to start in each of the last 7 years.  He hasn't finished with a winning record in any of them.    

Bryce Young completed 66% of his passes vs a very tough Saints defense.  Stats always tell an incomplete story. 

It's 2023.  If your QB is averaging 200 passing yards per game.  The team is managing that QB not to lose games.  And Dalton had a losing record last year.  That's not a boast. 

all Andy Dalton offers is time for them to work on fixing this bad offense before we put Bryce back out there.  Nothing more.  Hyping Dalton up right now is frankly no different than hyping Miles Sanders up before the season started.  Recent times have proven what these players are.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

31 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Interesting to se Mahomes and Hurts in the top 10, but I guess if you have time with the better OLs then you can take longer to throw it.  Your boy Howell is challenging Jimmy G for the INT leader in the NFL.  

You also can't really blitz Mahomes (and I assume Hurts) - teams are always wary about blitzing the elite QBs too much 'cos they get burned by it.

• Pie 2

37 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah and him looking average last year after losing his big play makers seemed to be an afterthought in the media. While CJ having weapons was to his detriment. So weird how people just lock on to general narratives fed to them by the media

Yeah and Bryce’s numbers dropping didn’t matter, but Howell’s stock was destroyed by it just a year earlier. 

The draft is definitely narrative based, and that’s something Chris Simms talks about a lot even though he is hated because of his Corral take around here. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, csx said:

Zach Wilson is dead last but yeah Young needs work. QB school was pointing out open receivers he needs to be throwing to.

You're right, I missed Wilson. The sort function on that site doesn't work on my phone. Updated the title and original post. Thanks.

Zach Wilson though... not great company. 😂

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Andy Dalton has been called to start in each of the last 7 years.  He hasn't finished with a winning record in any of them.    

Bryce Young completed 66% of his passes vs a very tough Saints defense.  Stats always tell an incomplete story. 

It's 2023.  If you are QB averaging 200 passing yards per game.  The team is managing that QB not to lose games.  And Dalton had a losing record last year.  That's not a boast. 

all Andy Dalton offers is time for them to work on fixing this bad offense before we put Bryce back out there.  Nothing more.  Hyping Dalton up right now is frankly no different than hyping Miles Sanders up before the season started.  Recent times have proven what these players are.  

Can you just outright tell me what claim I made that you're finding so offensive?  I don't like doing this vague back-and-forth where it feels like you're straw manning everything I say.  You brought up Dalton last year; I simply laid out his stat line which I would say is objectively respectable for a back-up QB, and you're calling it a "boast"?  And I'm "hyping Dalton up"?  Huh?  Just tell me who you think are 3 better back-up NFL QBs, because that's about the boldest claim I made about Dalton.  Everything else is pretty mild praise.  Unless you're a big Teddy Bridgewater fan and my comparison to Teddy is what offended you.

I mean this was pretty easy to see if you watch bryce tape at Alabama. The concerns were right there, it was all about what will translate to the nfl. The things he did in college that helped him succeed are just not gonna work here unless he makes changes. This is why you cant always trust what evaluators say because they speak from a fandom point of view sometimes more than unbiased analysis. 

4 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I mean this was pretty easy to see if you watch bryce tape at Alabama. The concerns were right there, it was all about what will translate to the nfl. The things he did in college that helped him succeed are just not gonna work here unless he makes changes. This is why you cant always trust what evaluators say because they speak from a fandom point of view sometimes more than unbiased analysis. 

He did a lot of throwing on the move running around at Alabama but NFL defenders are catching him.

He's a super processor, but his targets needs to be WIDE open before he'll throw it. He was never one to thread needles, since he just doesn't have the arm. WR's don't have to be Olympic track stars if you have a QB who can put it over the defender or in front of the receiver in stride, Young doesn't do either well. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

It's 2023.  If your QB is averaging 200 passing yards per game.  The team is managing that QB not to lose games.  And Dalton had a losing record last year.  That's not a boast. 

Not to mention having Chark out there fully healthy against an atrocious defense. But people like @LinvilleGorgewant Bryce to be bad so they’ll grab on to anything they can while they can. 

43 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Can you just outright tell me what claim I made that you're finding so offensive?  I don't like doing this vague back-and-forth where it feels like you're straw manning everything I say.  You brought up Dalton last year; I simply laid out his stat line which I would say is objectively respectable for a back-up QB, and you're calling it a "boast"?  And I'm "hyping Dalton up"?  Huh?  Just tell me who you think are 3 better back-up NFL QBs, because that's about the boldest claim I made about Dalton.  Everything else is pretty mild praise.  Unless you're a big Teddy Bridgewater fan and my comparison to Teddy is what offended you.

Dalton is a fine mentor backup.  That’s what we need.  There is no point in him playing outside of giving Bryce time though.  That’s all. 

I can’t keep everyone straight.  There is a building narrative that some people just want to see us win pointless games with Dalton.  I don’t care about wins.  Especially pointless ones with Dalton.  They need to find away to get things settled to get Bryce back on the field.  

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Not to mention having Chark out there fully healthy against an atrocious defense. But people like @LinvilleGorgewant Bryce to be bad so they’ll grab on to anything they can while they can. 

I absolutely don't.  But I'm not going to distort reality. Reality is that Bryce has been bad and Dalton was significantly better yesterday. That sucks, but like I said that is just cold hard reality. Going around being on utter denial doesn't make you a good fan. Any decent fan hopes Bryce will improve and be a great QB. But any rational fan has to admit that he hasn't been good so far. Sorry.