• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce critics - let's be honest

NAS

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I know. The poor guy is in denial. The reality of what we're watching sucks but delusion is a worse option.

How many passes do we see across the NFL on a weekly basis that the receiver isn't open but the ball is put where only the receiver can get it? A NFL QB has to be able to make those throws too. 

I genuinely think the reason we're seeing so many WR screens is he can't see over the linemen very well. At Alabama he had time behind one of the best lines to wait for lanes to open. Right now he doesn't. You can only anticipate so many throws. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I haven't watched the all 22 and don't plan to but I wouldn't be surprised if there's not plenty more of the same. Bryce looks shellshocked. 

Bryce's biggest detractors wouldn't have predicted that he'd look this bad. That's just the honest truth.

My concern levels have jumped significantly. We hired a staff that was brought into develop a guy, they are failing hard on all levels, and we got a rookie who is too afraid to let it rip. I'm not a rush to judgement guy,  but if the play doesn't improve in a few more games I think we will be looking for someone new 2 years from now. The question is, will we have missed the boat? We need a proper rebuild and no more of this retool business, and actual modern coach. It's certainly trending towards rough years ahead.

Just now, SmokinwithWilly said:

How many passes do we see across the NFL on a weekly basis that the receiver isn't open but the ball is put where only the receiver can get it? A NFL QB has to be able to make those throws too. 

Throwing guys open is a necessary skill in the NFL. When you play at an Alabama or an OSU you're going to be able to hang out behind dominant OLs waiting for your future NFL 1st round picks to beat future PE teachers trying to cover them. That poo doesn't happen in the NFL.

• Pie 1

I highlighted  the moment!! He could've had a free shot. Brady Quinn even mentioned all game how he has a bad tendency  to turn his body facing the sideline and basically  running into pressure because  he has limited  everything to  1 side of the field. He did it 3 separate  times I know where he could've stepped up and passed or ran for a 1st down. 

Screenshot_20231002_152223.jpg

Edited by Lurk21
  • Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Throwing guys open is a necessary skill in the NFL. When you play at an Alabama or an OSU you're going to be able to hang out behind dominant OLs waiting for your future NFL 1st round picks to beat future PE teachers trying to cover them. That poo doesn't happen in the NFL.

That is what Bryce is missing. On said play that throw is all anticipation and placement related. 2 things Bryce is supposed to excel at. But he just doesn't seem to trust himself or his eyes. 

3 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I genuinely think the reason we're seeing so many WR screens is he can't see over the linemen very well. At Alabama he had time behind one of the best lines to wait for lanes to open. Right now he doesn't. You can only anticipate so many throws. 

Andy did it in Seattle to Chark for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

My concern levels have jumped significantly. We hired a staff that was brought into develop a guy, they are failing hard on all levels, and we got a rookie who is too afraid to let it rip. I'm not a rush to judgement guy,  but if the play doesn't improve in a few more games I think we will be looking for someone new 2 years from now. The question is, will we have missed the boat? We need a proper rebuild and no more of this retool business, and actual modern coach. It's certainly trending towards rough years ahead.

I was concerned after the first two games. But after seeing the offense operate with Dalton and Bryce look the same as the first two starts with two full weeks to prepare to face a bad defense? I'm not saying it's time to panic but there's a desperate need to see something promising soon.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

I highlighted  the moment!! He could've had a free shot. Brady Quinn even mentioned all game how he has a bad tendency  to turn his body facing the sideline and basically  running into pressure because  he has limited  everything to  1 side if the field. He did it 3 separate  times I know where he could've stepped up and passed or ran for a 1st down. 

Wait, I have been assured on good authority by Huddlers that Frank's playbook only has plays under 10 yards.   Maybe Bryce was confused why AT was so far down the field.  Dude must have went rouge on that play.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 1

18 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

You can’t actually be serious? That’s as open as it gets in the NFL

At the 2-second mark Bryce pumps towards Theilen to sell the double move, at the 5-second mark Danielle Hunter bull rushes Moton towards Young, forcing him off the spot. The opposite corner and Safety at the seven-second mark are looking directly at Young their backs aren't turned toward him 

6 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

I highlighted  the moment!! He could've had a free shot. Brady Quinn even mentioned all game how he has a bad tendency  to turn his body facing the sideline and basically  running into pressure because  he has limited  everything to  1 side of the field. He did it 3 separate  times I know where he could've stepped up and passed or ran for a 1st down. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, NAS said:

If you look at my post history I was a CJ Stroud guy, so miss me with being a Bryce fanboy or coddler.    However, I think the kid can be a really good QB if he gets put into a better situation.   I don't know if he will be great, or have the same ceiling as AR or Stroud,  but I think we should lookin in the mirror and self reflect by asking ourselves a few questions:

1. Is it Bryce Young's fault that Panthers traded up to pick him at #1? 

Your anger should be directed at the FO not the rookie QB who is trying to develop in an extremely difficult situation.

2. If Bryce was 6'2" instead of 5'10" and had the same identical performances, would you feel the same away about his progress as a rookie QB? 

Be honest.  You would probably give him a much longer leash but you're playing into the optics of him being small as the reason for not performing better.  

3.  If Ian Thomas catches the TD on the ball that hit him in the hands, or Bryce has even decent offensive line protection, Panthers win the game yesterday and Bryce wins with over 100 QB rating and Panthers are 1-3 instead of 0-4.    Would you still be saying he's a bust?  

I'm just saying, 3 games into his career, this is a major overreaction.  Trevor Lawrence was terrible most of his rookie year, but people didn't call him a bust because he's tall,  Jaguars didn't trade up to get him, and he had a terrible coach.  Bryce should at least get a chance to play out his rookie year and support him along the way.

Him being small has been the least concerning thing for me so far. It's every aspect of being a good QB (arm strength, accuracy/touch, scrambling, pocket awareness, not fumbling, reading a defense) that has me alarmed. If he were 6'2", I would be equally as concerned about him being a bust as I am right now.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Wait, I have been assured on good authority by Huddlers that Frank's playbook only has plays under 10 yards.   Maybe Bryce was confused why AT was so far down the field.  Dude must have went rouge on that play.

Bro, I feel you!! Yes Frank could play calling better but no excuses for Bryce. It's been plenty of opportunities  where he should've just let it rip!!  

• Pie 1