• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper should fire himself for this blunder

NAS

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bears-and-panthers-are-nfls-only-winless-teams-giving-chicago-hope-for-top-two-picks

The NFL now has just two winless teams. The Bears own both their first-round draft picks.

The Bears fell to 0-4 with yesterday’s loss to the Broncos, and the Panthers fell to 0-4 with yesterday’s loss to the Vikings. They’re the only 0-4 teams in the NFL.

And the Bears have both their own first-round pick in the 2024 NFL draft and the Panthers’ pick, thanks to this year’s trade that allowed the Panthers to take Bryce Young first overall.

It’s a long season and we don’t know if the Bears and Panthers will actually finish at the bottom of the standings when it’s all said and done, but at the moment the Bears would appear to have an excellent chance at owning the first overall pick, either by finishing with the worst record in the NFL or by the Panthers finishing with the worst record in the NFL.

USC quarterback Caleb Williams is considered the big prize in next year’s draft. The Bears have to be considered the favorites to land him.

Someone is going to have to get fired. But I think the Panthers will need to wait until after the 2024 season to fire anyone. No reason to make a new coaching staff and GM try to rebuild the team without a first round pick. 

Fitterer should be fired immediately though. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

Fitterer may fall on the sword but it's Tepper who instructed Fitterer to make the trade happen with the Bears even when Houston bailed..  The original trade was going to be three way where Houston would have had the 1st pick, and Panthers second. 

1 minute ago, NAS said:

Fitterer may fall on the sword but it's Tepper who instructed Fitterer to make the trade happen with the Bears even when Houston bailed..  The original trade was going to be three way where Houston would have had the 1st pick, and Panthers second. 

Can’t forget Tugjob Tepper pursuing Watson either 

1 minute ago, NAS said:

The trade itself is not horrible, if you land a franchise QB. And for all his faults I can't fault Tepper for pushing to get a franchise QB in the draft.

The problem I have is that they spent all these resources and ended up drafting a 5'9 QB with limited physical abilities and touted his mental processing as his best attribute. Bryce does seem to be intelligent and scored highly on the aptitude tests, but his play on the field has shown he's not an NFL level talent. His play at Alabama was bolstered by playing with an NFL level supporting cast. Now I'm not ready to say Bryce is a total bust, but he wasn't worthy of the 1st overall pick, and definitely not worthy of the price the Panthers paid for him. 

Heads need to roll for that and it'll likely be Scott Fitterer, who has already proven to be a terrible GM for many other reasons. 

• Pie 1

If they end up with #1 and #2, they'd be fools to not trade the #2 pick away for an even bigger haul. Especially if the QB class is as hyped as anticipated.

Either way, the Bears are going to get some serious talent coming in. 

And we are going to get basically nothing. 

#Fittermagic

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

20 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Someone is going to have to get fired. But I think the Panthers will need to wait until after the 2024 season to fire anyone. No reason to make a new coaching staff and GM try to rebuild the team without a first round pick. 

Man I don't know how many times i've heard this by October since 2018.

• The D 1

Biggest gripe I have is the complete lack of foresight and the lack of patience that has us in the position. The upcoming draft is already being touted as one of the best QB classes, ever. We’d have a legit shot at the guy they are calling the next Patrick Mahomes and now he is likely to end up in Chicago with maybe the best WR prospect ever in Marvin Harrison Jr. Pair those two with someone like Ben Johnson at Head Coach, and Chicago instantly becomes a threat to win that division for years moving forward. 

Just a complete failure from the top down. 

Edited by OnlyPantherFaninMaine
  • Pie 2

31 minutes ago, hepcat said:

The trade itself is not horrible, if you land a franchise QB. And for all his faults I can't fault Tepper for pushing to get a franchise QB in the draft.

The problem I have is that they spent all these resources and ended up drafting a 5'9 QB with limited physical abilities and touted his mental processing as his best attribute. Bryce does seem to be intelligent and scored highly on the aptitude tests, but his play on the field has shown he's not an NFL level talent. His play at Alabama was bolstered by playing with an NFL level supporting cast. Now I'm not ready to say Bryce is a total bust, but he wasn't worthy of the 1st overall pick, and definitely not worthy of the price the Panthers paid for him. 

Heads need to roll for that and it'll likely be Scott Fitterer, who has already proven to be a terrible GM for many other reasons. 

Agreed. I have no problem with the trade-up, honestly most drafts its not even possible to trade up as the #1 pick team usually needs a QB, so it would typically be much more expensive than what we gave up. But you absolutely cannot whiff on that pick, I hope we win some games cause it will sure hurt to give up #1 or #2

Start firing now and hire someone to hold his hand and teach him how to do the most basic stuff because there is no reasons to not blow this turd up at this point. Clean out the FO and have it ready to hire new people by the end of the year. That is the best I could hope for from Tepper so it won't happen. 

37 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If they end up with #1 and #2, they'd be fools to not trade the #2 pick away for an even bigger haul. Especially if the QB class is as hyped as anticipated.

Either way, the Bears are going to get some serious talent coming in. 

And we are going to get basically nothing. 

#Fittermagic

And they'll get SOMETHING for Fields. At lease a 3rd or so. At least. They could change the course of their franchise this draft.