• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers have a Shotgun problem

Newtcase

Do the Panthers have a shotgun problem and by extension a tell?

Through four games we've run 227 of 257 from the gun.  26 of the 30 plays we've ran from under center were rush attempts.

That's right we've only passed from under center four times, Bryce only once.  Below is the chart of plays ran from under center.  We are broadcasting to the defense that if we line up under center we are running the ball.  

Atlanta 68 of 70 plays from Shotgun
3Q 9:34-M.Sanders for 9 yards
3Q 4:52-C.Hubbard for 21 yards

New Orleans 45 of 52 plays from Shotgun
1Q 11:52-M.Sanders for 13 yards
1Q 10:36-M.Sanders for 1 yard
2Q 9:17-M.Sanders for -4 yards
2Q 6:18-B.Young 15 yard completion
2Q 5:02-M.Sanders for 6 yards
4Q 12:08-M.Sanders for 4 yards
4Q 11:26-M.Sanders for 5 yards

Seattle 62 of 72 plays from Shotgun
1Q 13:25-M.Sanders for 4 yards
1Q 10:21-M.Sanders for no gain
1Q 9:25-Dalton sacked for -11 yards
1Q 2:49-M.Sanders for no gain
2Q 12:07-M.Sanders for 1 yard
2Q 11:31-M.Sanders for 3 yards
2Q 8:34-Dalton incomplete
3Q 14:54-M.Sanders for 1 yard
3Q 14:13-Dalton incomplete
3Q 9:03-M.Sanders for 1 yard

Minnesota 52 of 63 plays from Shotgun
1Q 7:02-C.Hubbard for 7 yards
1Q 6:26-M.Sanders for 1 yard
1Q 5:14-C.Hubbard for 6 yards
1Q 3:48-A.Thielen rush for 6 yards
1Q 3:03-C.Hubbard for 5 yards
2Q 8:17-M.Sanders for 3 yards
3Q 15:00-M.Sanders for 1 yard
3Q 3:58-C.Hubbard for -1 yard
4Q 10:19-M.Sanders for 2 yards

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

I knew it was bad but the numbers are truly disgusting. That falls squarely on Frank. We have to do better than letting everyone know if we’re under center with Bryce it’s a run. Just awful coaching and game planning there. 

please god let Thomas Brown step up 

• Beer 2

31 minutes ago, Castavar said:

This was already known if you watched Bryce Young at Alabama. I have to find the stat again, but I believe he only took 4 snaps under center his whole career at Alabama. It seriously limits what you can do and how you disguise your offense, but it can be done if we had a better HC and scheme.

Not only that, I'm also sad we will never be able to run QB sneak on important downs with Bryce. That also takes an almost automatic part of your offense out due to his size.

Yeah no doubt Bryce and shotgun go together like peas and carrots.  I just don't think we can stay on the 26/30 pace running the ball.  That is ungodly predictable.  

48 minutes ago, Castavar said:

This was already known if you watched Bryce Young at Alabama. I have to find the stat again, but I believe he only took 4 snaps under center his whole career at Alabama. It seriously limits what you can do and how you disguise your offense, but it can be done if we had a better HC and scheme.

Not only that, I'm also sad we will never be able to run QB sneak on important downs with Bryce. That also takes an almost automatic part of your offense out due to his size.

So you want to explain why this was also the case in Seattle?

18 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

So you want to explain why this was also the case in Seattle?

Guess people just have short term memory.

Back in the spring when Reich first got here.  And then we brought in Sanders.

It was noted by Reich then that  the offense was going to be similar to Philly’s and Even Sanders mentioned it.

After those comments it was also noted that the Eagles run primarily out of the shotgun.  There were even charts floating around to how much teams around the league have moved to the shotgun.  And the Eagles were at the top rarely running from under center.

The issue isn’t the shotgun.

The issue is the LG making Michael Jordan looking like Zac Martin

The issue is, the RG was bagging groceries a week ago

The issue is, Ickey having a sophomore slump.  And continuing the trend of Post Gross OTs playing at the level of Byron Bell, Remmers, Cam Erving, etc (a lot may be due to the new zone system vs Wilks power run heavy system)

The issue is, our “blocking” TE is getting rag dolled.

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, jb2288 said:

I knew it was bad but the numbers are truly disgusting. That falls squarely on Frank. We have to do better than letting everyone know if we’re under center with Bryce it’s a run. Just awful coaching and game planning there. 

please god let Thomas Brown step up 

Reich is poo but it should be fairly obvious at this point some of the offensive scheme is built around Bryce Young's deficiencies that were known before the draft. There's only so much any coach is going to be able to do to compensate for Bryce Young's phsyical limitations. This was the risk with the pick.

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 1