• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Barnwell: Panthers have the slowest WR routes in the NFL

Dorian Gray

I am confused by your switching the points you're making from "types of routes matter" which has been agreed upon by everyone, including myself and your "speed is speed" comments.

I think we've both said our piece as clearly as we can on a message board and are now veering into the who has the last word phase of the discussion. 

2 minutes ago, Loyalty4Life said:

I am confused by your switching the points you're making from "types of routes matter" which has been agreed upon by everyone, including myself and your "speed is speed" comments.

I think we've both said our piece as clearly as we can on a message board and are now veering into the who has the last word phase of the discussion. 

Speed is speed but some routes allow for a higher max speed than others.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So why is this? I mean, we all knew Thielen had lost a step so that's not surprising. But DJ Chark ran a 4.34. TMJ ran a 4.38. Mingo ran a 4.46. 

These guys are fast. How are we making them look slow? This is a coaching/system issue more than it is a physical lack of speed issue.

Terrace Marshall definitely doesn't play that fast.  That was even true at LSU and was one of his negatives as a prospect, that he didn't run as fast as he was timed (here's one example of a scouting report noting it).  And in Mingo's case, a 4.46 isn't particularly fast for a WR.  15 wide receivers in this past draft alone ran a faster 40.  And that is just in this last draft.  Almost every NFL team has at least 2, if not 3, WRs faster than Jonathan Mingo.

The coaching has been bad, I agree.  But these wide receivers are very slow.  DJ Chark is the only one with legit speed on the field.

Another issue is that while they may have straight-line speed, we have NO wide receiver with agility whatsoever.  Nobody that can make a dude miss in open field outside of Shenault, who isn't fast either.  That makes it harder for them to separate because it limits their route-tree.  Again not defending the coaching but this is a legitimately bad and slow receiving group.  

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 1

23 minutes ago, 96Bravo said:

I hate to say it, but I think Curtis Samuel would be perfect for Young's style of play.

Why do you hate to say it? Curtis was an absolute dawg. Ran 4.32 and it showed, made people miss, ran all the routes, contested catches, YAC. Super underrated.

1 hour ago, Mage said:

Terrace Marshall definitely doesn't play that fast.  That was even true at LSU and was one of his negatives as a prospect, that he didn't run as fast as he was timed (here's one example of a scouting report noting it).  And in Mingo's case, a 4.46 isn't particularly fast for a WR.  15 wide receivers in this past draft alone ran a faster 40.  And that is just in this last draft.  Almost every NFL team has at least 2, if not 3, WRs faster than Jonathan Mingo.

The coaching has been bad, I agree.  But these wide receivers are very slow.  DJ Chark is the only one with legit speed on the field.

Another issue is that while they may have straight-line speed, we have NO wide receiver with agility whatsoever.  Nobody that can make a dude miss in open field outside of Shenault, who isn't fast either.  That makes it harder for them to separate because it limits their route-tree.  Again not defending the coaching but this is a legitimately bad and slow receiving group.  

Despite their inability to play fast, our esteemed GM took both TMJ and Mingo in round 2 of the draft. I don’t see the value of taking a possession receiver that high in the draft unless that is literally the only think you are lacking on offense. Even then I’d want to use a pick that high to address another need and take that type of receiver later in the draft or try to obtain one thru a trade or free agency (ex: Thelen). A receiver drafted in the 2nd round should be a difference maker on the field and neither of these guys are so far.

13 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So why is this? I mean, we all knew Thielen had lost a step so that's not surprising. But DJ Chark ran a 4.34. TMJ ran a 4.38. Mingo ran a 4.46. 

These guys are fast. How are we making them look slow? This is a coaching/system issue more than it is a physical lack of speed issue.

I'd look into the 3 cone drill more than the 40 time. Fast breaks are how most of WR's get open. This is why I wanted Tank Dell instead of Mingo, but here we are.