• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who really wanted Young?

AU-panther

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I agree, but what I'm saying is that Bryce's size was a hard sell to many, despite being a former Heisman winner, national champion, and otherworldly processor. 

I think this is true, but debate between him and Stroud wasn't "a huge QB vs a tiny QB", it was "an average to slightly smaller-sized QB to a tiny QB."... I don't think Stroud's size was a concern (dude was pretty lanky and not that tall, but the NFL fixes some of that), but nor was it a plus (as AR's was). And the fear of OSU QBs was very strong... everyone pointed to the WRs.

I think it's easy to watch BY play in college and see how his movement and escapability could become a great asset.  He's actually shown glimpses of that already. But he's just so damn small, you have to wonder if he can succeed with his physical tools. Ultimately only so much of this game is mental...

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

I think this is true, but debate between him and Stroud wasn't "a huge QB vs a tiny QB", it was "an average to slightly smaller-sized QB to a tiny QB."... I don't think Stroud's size was a concern (dude was pretty lanky and not that tall, but the NFL fixes some of that), but nor was it a plus (as AR's was). And the fear of OSU QBs was very strong... everyone pointed to the WRs.

I think it's easy to watch BY play in college and see how his movement and escapability could become a great asset.  He's actually shown glimpses of that already. But he's just so damn small, you have to wonder if he can succeed with his physical tools. Ultimately only so much of this game is mental...

Let what Fields is doing right now and what Stroud has done this whole season be a prime example of why we should no longer accept the critique of “he can’t be successful in the NFL because he went to X school”. 

And let CJ also be a prime example of why “it’s just preseason” is accurate. He had a terrible preseason and folks here were mocking him like crazy after his first preseason game where he had a terrible INT and had no rhythm within the offense. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

30 minutes ago, PantherBoy95 said:

I always hated that they were saying publicly "we haven't really talked about who it will be much."
Arguably the most important pick in Franchise History...and you're waiting until the last minute to make sure you're on the same page sounds like a recipe for disaster. Though I'd hope that's not how it truly went lol

That was one of the hints that BS was in the air. Glazer is still saying 'it was always Bryce' but that could just be coming from Tepper so while it's true it could also be misleading in this convo. 

8 minutes ago, Martin said:

I’ve yet to hear that Frank wasn’t happy with the pick. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is reporting it as being, at worst, a 1a vs. 1b situation. 

So feeling sorry for Frank because he got Bryce? Not buying it. Frank has months to create a playbook to maximize Bryce’s skill set and have failed doing so, on top of general coaching blunders. At this point Frank looks like a bad hire.

"Happy with the pick" isn't the same as "preferred choice".

After Cam, they wanted the low key choir boy type.....with talent. Bryce is a good kid with some good intangibles.

Small with a weaker arm, and not athletic,  yes. They are hoping this A+ coaching staff would make up for shortcomings.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I agree, but what I'm saying is that Bryce's size was a hard sell to many, despite being a former Heisman winner, national champion, and otherworldly processor. 

Oh yeah for sure. Especially trading up to acquire him. Stroud made the most sense with the risk that was involved with the trade up. At worst you have a Goff type QB who is pretty solid. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

That was one of the hints that BS was in the air. Glazer is still saying 'it was always Bryce' but that could just be coming from Tepper so while it's true it could also be misleading in this convo. 

I doubt it was "always" bryce because the trade up happened the day after the combine and at the combine was when CJ blew up and bryce didnt even throw.  I think the teppers fell in love with bryce the night before his pro day at the dinner that so much was made about

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/bryce-young-carolina-panthers-dinner-alabama-pro-day

• Beer 1

38 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Let's not act like Bryce isn't abnormally small for a QB. He's historically small. 

Perhaps the "big QB" thing meant "just not a little guy" as opposed to Cam Newton, Big Ben, or Josh Allen.

I'd say that ~6'2" and 220 isn't necessarily a big QB, but a normal one within an NFL context.

https://hortonbarbell.com/average-height-and-weight-of-nfl-quarterbacks/

Who is arguing he wasn’t an outlier size wise? That doesn’t negate anything I said.

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

I doubt it was "always" bryce because the trade up happened the day after the combine and at the combine was when CJ blew up and bryce didnt even throw.  I think the teppers fell in love with bryce the night before his pro day at the dinner that so much was made about

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/bryce-young-carolina-panthers-dinner-alabama-pro-day

And Tepper is still pushing the original message as the leaks spring elsewhere. We may never know that when but it doesn't sound like it was 'always Bryce' all along.

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

No, but it is a huge departure from the crowd pushing the notion that Frank didn’t want Bryce at all.

I don't think there's any credible suggestion that Reich was absolutely opposed to Young.

It does, however, seem possible that Reich might have preferred Stroud.

And if he changed his pick in any part because of owner influence, that's a very bad thing.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think there's any credible suggestion that Reich was absolutely opposed to Young.

It does, however, seem possible that Reich might have preferred Stroud.

And if he changed his pick in any part because of owner influence, that's a very bad thing.

What if Fitt convinced him to take Young? 

• Flames 3

2 minutes ago, MGH1989 said:

Who is arguing he wasn’t an outlier size wise? That doesn’t negate anything I said.

I'm not necessarily saying that it outright negates what you said, but You mentioned faulty logic, old reports, and the "lying season." 

For me, the reports aren't really old, and even if you consider them old, that doesn't mean they weren't and aren't correct even at this time. For some, and Frank could have easily been one of them before the owner got into his ear, a tiny QB was, and is a "reach," particularly for a day one pick,  and certainly too much to trade the farm for. 

Mind you, I haven't given up on Bryce, I'm just saying that he absolutely was considered a reach by some, despite his college accolades, and that you just can't discount the connection of the stories about Reich really wanting Stroud out of hand (particularly in light of his refusal to do much more than run-run-screen).