• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Retooling the offensive approach...

Mr. Scot

8 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah, you can do the better weapons excuse for Stroud all you want but if Bryce was on that team he's not even attempting probably half the throws CJ's made, some if he did he'd get picked by lack of velocity alone. I love when people try to pretend like Robert Woods and Nico Collins weren't ass the last 2 years with basically the same offense minus the qb

Woods was a Tennessee titan last year  and LA Ram the year before that and Nico Collins was showing signs of coming on in his 2nd year which was last year. PFF predicted his breakout this off-season.

Collins might have already had a breakout season in 2022 if not for a couple of injuries and below-par quarterback play. His 72.4 PFF grade ranked only 35th among wide receivers last season; however, passes going his way were completed only 56.9% of the time, the 10th-lowest rate in the NFL despite Collins not dropping a single target all season. In fact, he was just one of nine receivers not to drop a pass among players with at least 50 targets last season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-breakout-candidates-all-16-afc-teams-chiefs-kadarius-toney-steelers-kenny-pickett

The Texans have also been 3 different head coaches and offensive coordinators the last 3 years so not sure how you can claim it’s the same offense just with a different QB.

Edited by X-Clown

8 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah, you can do the better weapons excuse for Stroud all you want but if Bryce was on that team he's not even attempting probably half the throws CJ's made, some if he did he'd get picked by lack of velocity alone. I love when people try to pretend like Robert Woods and Nico Collins weren't ass the last 2 years with basically the same offense minus the qb

Robert Woods barely eclipsed 500 receiving yards the two seasons prior and Nico Collins didn't even reach 500 in a single season until he met CJ Stroud.

It's crazy people are still clinging to this he has elite WR's narrative but copers gonna cope.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

26 minutes ago, X-Clown said:

Woods was a Tennessee titan last year  and LA Ram the year before that and Nico Collins was showing signs of coming on in his 2nd year which was last year. PFF predicted his breakout this off-season.

Collins might have already had a breakout season in 2022 if not for a couple of injuries and below-par quarterback play. His 72.4 PFF grade ranked only 35th among wide receivers last season; however, passes going his way were completed only 56.9% of the time, the 10th-lowest rate in the NFL despite Collins not dropping a single target all season. In fact, he was just one of nine receivers not to drop a pass among players with at least 50 targets last season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-breakout-candidates-all-16-afc-teams-chiefs-kadarius-toney-steelers-kenny-pickett

The Texans have also been 3 different head coaches and offensive coordinators the last 3 years so not sure how you can claim it’s the same offense just with a different QB.

Collins had 481 yards and 2 touchdowns. Hinting that's the making of a breakout season is comical.

Now do Noah Brown.

Or you could just admit the Texans drafted the QB with the clearest arm talent in the draft who looks to be one of the better rookie QB's in years while we said no thanks.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

You can cherry pick stats from great QB's and busts early on that struggle. About all you can really tell is that they are struggling.

The difference is that in years 2, 3, etc the great guys are getting progressively better. The busts(see Darnold, Sam) they don't get any better and sometimes they get worse.

So our answer on Bryce isn't coming in season 1. It's gonna be season 2 and 3 that you find out if this project was worth it at all. If he is fully in the throes of David Carr Battered QB Syndrome, it's over. We either ruined him or it was never gonna work.

Or maybe he gets progressively better like Horseface Sunshine down there in Jacksonville. Maybe he eventually shows an inkling of why people thought he was the best guy(myself included).

We better all REALLY hope it's the latter because the former portends a very lengthy stretch of being an incredibly bad team.

I can tell you this much, I am not gonna be that interested in dedicating Sundays to Panthers football for another 5-7 years of watching is lose most of the time. 

I have done this enough. For all our faults under all these head coaches that never could string together back to back winning seasons, we were never THAT far away from being a winner again. We had talent, we had draft capital, we had SOMETHING to make us hope next year could be a winner again. If we bust with this QB, we are a consistent cellar dweller and we are as overall talent deficient in our core as we are now.......I am not interested in that.

I have said how we look so startlingly similar to the almost 20 year run of Browns futility but without a lot of their early success. I am not going to spend the last third/quarter of my life watching this stupid BS. I'm out.

I feel the same as you. When I was in my 20s and 30s I figured we’d get a Super Bowl soon. Now I’m just hoping for one in my lifetime but I’m certainly not bothering to invest a bunch of time and energy, much less my money, into this franchise as long as they are committed to being as bad as possible.

• Beer 1

57 minutes ago, frankw said:

Collins had 481 yards and 2 touchdowns. Hinting that's the making of a breakout season is comical.

Now do Noah Brown.

Or you could just admit the Texans drafted the QB with the clearest arm talent in the draft who looks to be one of the better rookie QB's in years while we said no thanks.

I am well aware of what the counting stats say for Collins but if you ever watched him play before this year you would understand that he played on a bad offense, showed promise and wasn’t “ass” as the other guy pointed out. 

And guess what TheRed? There can be nuances to these discussions. So far it looks like the Texans have the better QB…I’ve never said anything different so you can stop trying to once again read words that aren’t on the screen. 

• Poo 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

you think he falls?

I mean, there's Marv, Nabers, Rome, Keon, and Egbuka who are all great and 1st round dudes.  I think he's absolutely right in range. And he fits exactly what we're looking for.  Quickness, speed, big play threat, decent size, he's improved drastically when it comes to route running this year, YAC stuff is really shifty.  

If we weren't such idiots with trades, he'd be a perfect guy to secure in that 22-30 range in a trade up.  But, we're running out of ammo and have too many holes.  

I've been hoping he could be our guy since week 1.  Have never ID'd a player this early but he really is exactly what we need.

• Pie 1

Just now, Bear Hands said:

I mean, there's Marv, Nabers, Rome, Keon, and Egbuka who are all great and 1st round dudes.  I think he's absolutely right in range. And he fits exactly what we're looking for.  Quickness, speed, big play threat, decent size, he's improved drastically when it comes to route running this year, YAC stuff is really shifty.  

If we weren't such idiots with trades, he'd be a perfect guy to secure in that 22-30 range in a trade up.  But, we're running out of ammo and have too many holes.  

I've been hoping he could be our guy since week 1.  Have never ID'd a player this early but he really is exactly what we need.

the kid from Scar looks incredible but no way he falls

Football sucks when you are outmatched athletically- and our offense definitely is IMO. That said coaches are supposed to know what their players abilities are and then design an offense to be competitive. I was thrust into a HC position at a small school that hasn’t won a game since before the Covid outbreak. We are too small and slow to really compete with the many larger schools we have to play. I was, however, able to teach kids some fundamentals and design an offense that was able to put points on the board and keep us in games this year. Kids just had to run the right routes know the correct blocking schemes and stick their noses in there without hesitating or thinking too much. A little pre snap motion and a lot of heavy formations and misdirection served us well. I’m not a great coach- but my kids played hard. The current panthers roster are professional athletes who aren’t as out matched as my MS team. We should see evidence of coaches trying things to help the players succeed. Unfortunately I see very little. I have been a Panthers Fan since the very start and have never been as disappointed as I am now. - that said- Keep Pounding

• Beer 2