• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is it possible that Young being so cerebral

Frank9999

I don’t think so. If he didn’t have that part to his game he’d probably have chemistry with none of his receivers and we’d be even worse without his chemistry with Thielen. So it shows me he understands the plays, can read the defense and has the ability to know where the ball should go.. but the receiver has to be in the right place too. Everybody has to be on the same page.

Of course, he needs more NFL reps but I think that’s part of what he needs and any other rookie. 

The thing I find myself thinking with him is it appears he doesn’t trust anyone but Thielan to make a play on the ball. He’s gaining it with Mingo to at least give him a shot but there’s something going on there. I kind of get it seeing the drops he’s dealt with this season as well. Combine that with lack of separation across the board and he has to ask himself who he feels comfortable throwing a 50/50 ball to on a lot of plays. If we asked him that question outside of Thielen I’m willing to be his response would sound a lot like his post game pressers..

”um, y’know…”

Edited by CLG

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It doesn't matter how high your football IQ is if you don't have the physical tools to deliver on it. 

I'm honestly not sure he's nearly as cerebral on the field as folks want to believe. Last night during the game thread on our final drive I pointed out that that Bryce was throwing to the same basic area every play and that if the Bears were smart they'd just camp a defender there. Well, they actually did one better. They had a LB give a blitz look pre-snap on 3rd down and then drop back into a robber position right there in the middle of the field 6-8 yards deep where Bryce had been throwing the ball every play. Bryce threw it right to him and he dropped it. The Bears 100% sprung a trap on Bryce and he never saw it coming. I thought they were being dumb letting us have that play over and over several times but they were actually playing chess against checkers. They were setting Bryce up to expect that to be open and to bait him into throwing a pick. He stumbled right into the trap and the defender just botched it. That's not high level cerebral stuff from your super processor QB.

Eh, i'm not on the Bryce train at all but that's pretty tpyical learning curve for a rookie. May not fit the 'super processor' narrative but Bryce himself probably doesn't have anything to do with that.

From an objective perspective though, and being the lover of defense that I am, that play was fantastic. The Bears did exactly what you describe and it damn near worked to perfection to ice the game. As a general football fan you love to see it.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

There are no shots to even take to begin with. These receivers aren't even getting "NFL Open" on a consistent basis, and even when they are the line isn't holding up long enough for Bryce to find them.

Right, like I’m not trying to absolve Bryce of any responsibility for his bad play but I think it’s unfair some of the judgement he gets. He was compared to a Point Guard (Steph Curry) well unfortunately you can’t call your number like in Basketball and just start splashing 3s when your team isn’t shooting well. Only QB I’ve ever seen take over a game like that consistently was Cam.. and we may never see something like that again. 

And is many like to talk about his physicality.. it’s not his game.. and if it ever was he probably wouldn’t have made it to the NFL lol. We are a legit shitshow all the way across the board offensively. I’ve never even seen the Panthers not be able to run the ball.. we’ve lost so much identity

Edited by CLG

3 minutes ago, CLG said:

Right, like I’m not trying to absolve Bryce of any responsibility for his bad play but I think it’s unfair some of the judgement he gets. He was compared to a Point Guard (Steph Curry) well unfortunately you can’t call your number like in Basketball and just start splashing 3s when your team isn’t shooting well. Only QB I’ve ever seen take over a game like that consistently was Cam.. and we may never see something like that again. 

And is many like to talk about his physicality.. it’s not his game.. and if it ever was he probably wouldn’t have made it to the NFL lol. We are a legit shitshow all the way across the board offensively. I’ve never even seen the Panthers not be able to run the ball.. we’ve lost so much identity

The problem is entirely on the coaching staff and the scheme they have developed. Bryce isn't even making a ton of bad decisions or reads, he's throwing the ball to the "Right" guy with the way the plays are drawn up, it's just they are terrible plays to begin with. This is why I want them to clean house and bring in a new staff and FO top to bottom. Reich is an idiot for running this dogshit scheme and Fitt is an idiot thinking he plugged the holes that would allow Reich to run his dogshit scheme to begin with.

The fact that they thought we were a good QB away from competing just shows how out of touch and unaware of anything this entire franchise is at the moment. 

Clean house. Don't drag it out like with Rhule. It's not working and it's obvious. Cut your losses, try again.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

He seems like a really good young man. And he has won before.

Just he's not showing any fire here and we seem to want him to play like Drew Brees when we should be looking at a young Russell Wilson for a model of how he works best. For some weird reason, short Drew could see through his linemen and work from within the pocket. Wilson, on the other hand, did his best work when he was flushed out and had to improvise. 

You've seen the same games I have out of Bryce this year... having him stand back in the shotgun and then just hold his ground scanning the field hasn't worked and will probably get him killed eventually. When he has moved and been able to change the field of play and the parameters of what the defense has to do, his processing speed comes into play and he can outmatch the individuals on the defense.  

A good coach could both encourage that and gameplan for it. Maybe they could make something happen. Or a fiery QB could just push to will it into existence. We've got an uninventive coaching cadre and a far to even keeled QB who is just about passive out there on the field.

And something I noticed last night... If this QB was able to break down the offensive line assignments and theory for training camp, he sure as hell should be over at the O-line bench after each failed series getting those guys together and on the right page, either by explaining where things went wrong or lighting a fire under their doughy asses.  Lead, PeeWee, Lead!

And lastly, give Miles Sanders an apple and a bus ticket home. 

Edited by Khyber53
  • Pie 4

26 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

There are no shots to even take to begin with. These receivers aren't even getting "NFL Open" on a consistent basis, and even when they are the line isn't holding up long enough for Bryce to find them.

His only weapon is going on 34 years of age.  Panthers nation is blind as hell.  He literally has no weapons.

• Pie 6

17 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

The problem is entirely on the coaching staff and the scheme they have developed. Bryce isn't even making a ton of bad decisions or reads, he's throwing the ball to the "Right" guy with the way the plays are drawn up, it's just they are terrible plays to begin with. This is why I want them to clean house and bring in a new staff and FO top to bottom. Reich is an idiot for running this dogshit scheme and Fitt is an idiot thinking he plugged the holes that would allow Reich to run his dogshit scheme to begin with.

The fact that they thought we were a good QB away from competing just shows how out of touch and unaware of anything this entire franchise is at the moment. 

Clean house. Don't drag it out like with Rhule. It's not working and it's obvious. Cut your losses, try again.

Why can't we get a good offensive mind. We either have a coach that sends everyone deep on 5 second developing routes or we have a coach having all routes ran 4 yards from los

• Pie 1