• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Tepper frustated by the offense

BIGH2001

8 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Texans don't totally count for firing a HC 3 years in a row, since part of the reason they did it, was because they knew they were going to get Ryans as he's a team legend and wanted to go there (they also got a ton of bad PR from doing it 3 years in a row though too).

It's also worth looking at who the two head coaches were prior to Ryans.

The hires of Lovie Smith and David Culley were greeted with responses like "him?" and "who?"

You can also look to the Raiders going for Lane Kiffin back in the day or even Josh McDaniels given the lack of trust he had after pulling out of his last hiring.

Can you still get a head coach with bad team ownership? Sure.

Are you going to get the best head coaches in that situation?

Only if you luck into it, and that's not something I feel comfortable counting on.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

He may not necessarily have to convince him of anything.

If it's true that Tepper is the one who was sold on Brtce Young and influenced the decision, who do you think she's going to blame for things going wrong: the GM who was equally sold on him or the guy who was coaching when the problems happened?

So Tepper would overlook the depletion of talent over the last 3 years just because they agree on the QB choice? I guess it’s not too hard to believe after hearing Tepper’s opinion of Bryce after the draft.

Bryce doesn’t need receivers who can get open or a line to protect him, just give him a coaching staff that understands how amazing he is and the team is a contender. 

...If tipper wants to bamba, and to chill with the big boys... he needs to release Reich and Fitt at seasons end because this is clearly not working and hasn't for some time. We regressed every year since he bought the panthers, hows that for analytics. Start looking for a consultant NOW that can advise him and begin that sht NOW on the down low....it will only cost him 0.001% of his net worth...that would equate to pennies to common folk like you and I.... quit halfazzing everything...

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Judo Thoreau said:

So Tepper would overlook the depletion of talent over the last 3 years just because they agree on the QB choice? I guess it’s not too hard to believe after hearing Tepper’s opinion of Bryce after the draft.

Bryce doesn’t need receivers who can get open or a line to protect him, just give him a coaching staff that understands how amazing he is and the team is a contender. 

Remember the first two years Rhule had final say. And again, you have to factor in that this season we transitioned from Rhule and his systems to Reich and his systems which meant some prior players no longer fit what we do (misfits aren't necessarily busts).

Going back to Russini though, she mentions that ownership is "satisfied with the defense and special teams". They only have issues with the offense. Specifically, Reich's specialty.

That doesn't sound like it's a roster issue in their minds.

Russini also adds this:

I have learned those in power want to start seeing an offense that looks like what Young executed to precision at the University of Alabama, which included bubbles and RPOs, and that leans into his strengths.

That sounds like someone above the head coach dictating football strategy to the head coach.

Could mean Tepper. Could also mean Fitterer. But either way, that's not good.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

Looking at that same paragraph via the beginning and ending sentences...

If the second half of the regular season looks like the first half, I expect Carolina to make changes.

Ownership is satisfied with the defense and special teams.

The entire focus of Russini 's article is the offense (again, Frank Reich's specialty). If the end result of the season sees little to no improvement, then it seems clear that's likely where the "changes" would be made.

Said earlier I could see James Campen getting fired (unfairly) but if Reich stays, then I imagine it's possible the changes go higher than Campen, possibly to OC Thomas Brown.

Would that be fair? Don't know. This is his first year as an NFL OC, and even with acknowledged assistance and influence from Reich and McVay It was Brown who wrote the playbook. Still, with the offensive know-how on the coaching staff it's amazing that no one seems to have seen the mismatches between personnel and approach. That can't necessarily be blamed on Brown.

Also mentioned elsewhere that if there are in-season changes, I could see Brown relieved of his duties and replaced by Jim Caldwell. That's a change that could carry into next year if Caldwell wants to stay in that role. If not, I'd imagine the next OC would be someone more experienced.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Remember the first two years Rhule had final say. And again, you have to factor in that this season we transitioned from Rhule and his systems to Reich and his systems which meant some prior players no longer fit what we do (misfits aren't necessarily busts).

Going back to Russini though, she mentions that ownership is "satisfied with the defense and special teams". They only have issues with the offense. Specifically, Reich's specialty.

That doesn't sound like it's a roster issue in their minds.

Russini also adds this:

I have learned those in power want to start seeing an offense that looks like what Young executed to precision at the University of Alabama, which included bubbles and RPOs, and that leans into his strengths.

That sounds like someone above the head coach dictating football strategy to the head coach.

Could mean Tepper. Could also mean Fitterer. But either way, that's not good.

I think an important common thread between the Rhule offseasons and the one Reich offseason is the inability to replace or retain players who played with heart and inspired the team. 

Reddick was probably our best defensive player in 2021, but for some reason we move on and he signs with the Eagles for 15m per. Still looking for a legit replacement for that production. Same could be said about Gilmore who was a great vet presence for the DB room and actually wanted to stay here. 

Trading CMC was probably the right decision and we were lucky to have someone like Foreman on the roster who ran hard and gave us a great identity for the 2nd half of the season. Instead of retaining him for 3-4m, we pay a guy 2x that amount who seemingly doesn’t care & showed up for 1 quarter in half a season. 

Thielen is a good piece but we really tried to replace Moore’s role with Chark, who isn’t half the player even when healthy, which is a rarity. Replacing team leader types with JAGs has been a constant under Fitterer, I think that may be his worst quality as a roster builder. 

16 hours ago, jb2288 said:

Line up Ben Johnson. Pay him whatever it takes Dave don’t f this up a third time 

Why do people post stuff like this? Do y’all not get it?

It doesn’t work like that. It isn’t money- For players or coaches, this is something Tepper needs to learn. It’s compatibility, no worthwhile coach wants to play for Tepper. Tepper doesn’t want himself or wife to be disagreed and have no say in a job that isn’t his and takes years to do well in if even doing well (football operations).

How many great candidates turned down teams like the Browns, Dolphins, and Lions over the years? Thats what this franchise has become. Teppers meddling will domino and I truly believe it will come to a point Tepper will just get desperate and finally give in just to get some wins. But we are 5-10 years from that. Just like the aforementioned franchises.

Some players will but for the money (Samuel) but players and coaches with options see the writing on the wall and that is it is extremely difficult to succeed under an owner like Tepper.

Edited by onmyown

1 hour ago, KillerKat said:

Like I said, all talk. Another Sunday and Frank is still here. Tep dont give a poo.

Exactly, this is the second report Tepper isn’t happy right? Poo or get off the pot Davey boy. Sick of hearing crap like this, he’s the owner, do something about it.