• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dancing with The Devil

Mr. Scot

Saw this news item...

...and wondered.

Suppose the Panthers did decide to look for a new OC next year.

How would you feel about them hiring Josh McDaniels?

There's not really what you'd call a connection between McDaniels and Reich...that is unless you count that Reich took over for McDaniels when he bailed on the Colts. He did keep some of McDaniels staff in place at that time, for what it's worth.

As lousy a head coach as McDaniels may be, he's still considered an offensive genius who knows how to get good stuff out of his quarterbacks. Mind you, he's not really a West Coast guy, more of an E-P, but that's a system Reich played in and it's not terribly different from a WCO.

The flipside? McDaniels is known to be a massive jerk. He's also a bit weird about some things. Most have probably heard the story about his wife and Jim Irsay, but there's another rumor that McDaniels had a player cut loose (forget who) because he was afraid his wife might be attracted to him 😳

Unknown whether there's any truth to that mind you, but on the matter of McDaniels being an a--hole and maybe a bit of a flake, there's plenty of evidence. The most recent being that he got pissed off at Antonio Pierce for mentioning the Giants win over the then undefeated Patriots in a pep talk to the team 

So what would your opinion be? Is the talent worth the, uuumm...eccentricity, or is this a big "hell no"?

It's hard to untangle his success from Brady's, but he seems to be a pretty good OC and he's likely burned any and all likelihood of ever becoming a HC again, so I wouldn't think there's flight risk there. No real connectivity with Reich and co though so feel like he'd have to come in as an OC under a new staff with some connection to him.

Absolutely not. Weren’t m were reports of how happy the raiders locker room after he was gone? Beyond that - the poo he pulled in Denver and Indy - the dude is a snake. Nope, nope then absolutely tugging nope again.

Him being some sort of QB whisperer is way over played IMO. Between carr and cutler, he has a history of shipping QBs to start worse guys cause he thinks he’s the poo. He’s not, he’s just poo. IMO at least. Riding the coattails of Brady and the patriots org just like Adam Gase did w Peyton. 

Edited by Coheed
  • Pie 1

I'll give Dorsey one thing though...

So far, he's been tasked with running offenses that were managed by big, rocket armed gunslinger type quarterbacks. As a QB himself, Dorsey was way closer to Bryce Young than Josh Allen.

I know Greg Olsen believes heavily that Dorsey is a smart coach. I do kind of wonder what he might do with a quarterback closer to his own style.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Hmmm HC rejects running out of options, probably on Teppers radar.

"HC rejects" frequently make really good coordinators. Dan Quinn and Jim Schwartz are examples of that right now (granted both on the defensive side).

For whatever else you think of him, McDaniels has a hell of a resumé as a coordinator.

I think the Bill Belichick coaching tree has begun withering in the field for a few years now. There's a common denominator in their big wins, but they all seem to share in the ruin that followed both in Boston and elsewhere. 

They stepped into a magic puddle and we've been praising them for almost two decades for what may have been just a set of lucky circumstances.

And yes, maybe he did develop Brisset, Cassel and Garropolo but really, think of those guys. You know as well as I do that if any of those guys is your starting QB, you're in for a lackluster season at best. 

Maybe we should look elsewhere... and not chase someone else's past.