• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

While we all are mad at Tepper, can we give him credit for FIRING Reich?!?!

TheBigKat

I mean he knew firing Reich was going to be a poo storm, but he still did it

He basically told Texas A&M "hold my beer" when it comes to paying coaches who are no longer coaching for him

Yes Tepper made a MASSIVE mistake in hiring Reich but he also had enough insight to can him and not subject us to 3 years of Reich. I don't think there would be anything left of the fanbase had he given Reich that long of a leash.

Keeping Reich next year basically ruins any salvation chance with Young

Reich is a nice man but AWFUL coach

His playcalling- atrocious

he's never really developed a QB unless you call Wentz something special

The CHI FG attempt literally highlighted how inept and out of touch he is

Am I wrong to credit Tepper for at least recognizing how horrible the Reich hire was and immediately canning him

Edited by TheBigKat
  • Pie 5

He definitely deserves credit for biting the bullet and getting rid of Reich before things got any worse. Honestly, for as bad as the mistakes Tepper has made you cannot argue the fact that he desperately wants to win. Maybe that's the keyword here: desperate, but I'm glad he did what he did. People on the board are talking about both sides of their mouths. One on hand every is all mad that he canned Frank 11 games in, yet, these same people would be screaming for Reich to be fired after every game he was allowed to keep coaching in if Tepper didn't. So which is it? You can't have it both ways. If any of us were the owner, wouldn't you fire Reich after all this? Offense has shown ZERO improvement in 12 weeks (BYE included), Bryce is starting to regress in his foot work, and Reich's game management was so bad he made Rivera look like Chuck Noll. Anyone who says that they would allow him to keep coaching with them as the owner is a liar. Tepper did the right thing here and will throw money at our next HC. I'm not a Tepper apologist by any means because how he allowed Rhule to do Cam was horrific, and that Rhule contract was also stupid. But give credit where credit is due. He learned from his mistake and gave Reich a normal contract and had him hire coaches with actual NFL experience. When that didn't work out, he didn't wait another 3 years, he canned him and will start the search again. As much as it sucks right now, I do believe it'll pay off in the long-run which if the right HC is hired next, may not be as long as we think....

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

No, because I think it was a shortsighted mistake to fire him.

I still contend that we won't get anyone we actually want, as any good up and coming HC candidate isn't going to risk their HC future on Bryce.

Our best bet was to keep Reich into next season and then fire him a month into the season. 

Then when we end up with a Top 3 pick in the 2025 draft, you can attract a new coach at that point by telling them they can draft a QB to replace Bryce with the pick and leave the decision 100% up to them.

THAT's how you get someone like a Ben Johnson.

We'll either end up with a sub-par new HC who Tepper will be too afraid to fire after one season because of how bad it will look to do it 3 years in a row or he'll actually fire them and then even the good candidates aren't going to come work for a guy that just forced the Bryce decision and fired 3 HC's in 3 years.

That only worked out for the Texans because one of the hottest names in the HC cycle was one of the Texans best players in franchise history and wanted to be there, we don't have that option.  

Tepper cut off his nose to spite his face here, for once we needed to just embrace the suck and play for the 2025 #1 pick and use that to attract a high quality HC candidate.

Firing Rhule was the smart decision and it re-set the franchise, but they then didn't go about a proper re-set, they tried to game the system and only made it worse.  But the trade and subsequent drafting of Bryce set the franchise back 3-4 years.  Firing Freich now just set us back an additional 2 more years, rather than staying with the 3-4 window it would still be if we stuck with Reich and did a full re-set after 2024.

Edited by tukafan21

8 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

No, because I think it was a shortsighted mistake to fire him.

I still contend that we won't get anyone we actually want, as any good up and coming HC candidate isn't going to risk their HC future on Bryce.

Our best bet was to keep Reich into next season and then fire him a month into the season. 

Then when we end up with a Top 3 pick in the 2025 draft, you can attract a new coach at that point by telling them they can draft a QB to replace Bryce with the pick and leave the decision 100% up to them.

THAT's how you get someone like a Ben Johnson.

We'll either end up with a sub-par new HC who Tepper will be too afraid to fire after one season because of how bad it will look to do it 3 years in a row or he'll actually fire them and then even the good candidates aren't going to come work for a guy that just forced the Bryce decision and fired 3 HC's in 3 years.

That only worked out for the Texans because one of the hottest names in the HC cycle was one of the Texans best players in franchise history and wanted to be there, we don't have that option.  

Tepper cut off his nose to spite his face here, for once we needed to just embrace the suck and play for the 2025 #1 pick and use that to attract a high quality HC candidate.

Firing Rhule was the smart decision and it re-set the franchise, but they then didn't go about a proper re-set, they tried to game the system and only made it worse.  But the trade and subsequent drafting of Bryce set the franchise back 3-4 years.  Firing Reich now just set us back an additional 2 more years, rather than staying with the 3-4 window it would still be if we stuck with Reich and did a full re-set after 2024.

This makes no sense. You would keep Reich only to know you're going to fire him a month into next season? You essentially waste an entire off-season and negatively impact Bryce Young's development. That is how dysfunctional franchises work. Even if you don't believe in Bryce Young (which it clearly sounds like you do not), you give the kid every chance to succeed like Tepper is trying to do now. If Bryce sucks then he will still land you the #1 overall pick but at least you give your team and him a fighting chance by allowing a real off-season and a change in offensive philosophy. 

• Pie 4