• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton: Tepper wants Belichick

TheSpecialJuan

37 minutes ago, t96 said:

lol brady didn't do poo in the first 3, or the last 1

To the topic: Cam's opinion is interesting in that he's one of the few common links between Tepper and Belichick, having played for both of them. But it is still just his opinion. The connecting of the dots makes some sense, but I disagree with Cam's take that "Tepper will give him everything he needs." The one thing this team and Tepper can't give Belichick is a roster that can be ready to contend within 2-3 years. It just ain't happening.

Unless Belichick thinks the world of Bryce, which I kinda doubt based on film this year so far, this is by far the worst roster imaginable for Belichick to be inheriting, AND we don't have a 1st round pick to improve it next year. Even if he does think the world of Bryce, this is a bad roster. And Belichick at his age can't go through a long rebuild, which is where this team is at. He's shooting for Shula's win record and it could take him 4-5 years to get there here, and with a poor pace such that even if he eventually gets the record, Andy Reid could catch and pass him pretty darn quickly. He can claim he wants to coach that long all he wants but at that age frankly things can change pretty damn quickly. If he leaves NE he'll go somewhere with a roster ready to compete, and likely with a legit franchise QB already in place. Chargers make a lot of sense. Or Bills or Bengals if either of them want to make a change/splash.

Don’t forget the Saben/Belichick connection 

39 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

nah Belichick def gets the credit on the first one and probably the second against us even tho Jake outplayed him in the SB. But yeah that was 20 years ago and the game has passed him by. Dont think he would fare well here

Bill isn't failing because he's without Tom Brady. He's failing because he's with Mac Jones, the worst starting QB in the NFL. The Patriots were fine in the Cam year, going .500 with a horrendous roster. They retooled the following offseason and would've been primed to compete for years had they stuck with him.

Brady also gets no credit for winning a SB without Bill. He left the Patriots for a reason. Their roster sucked. He went and built a superteam in Tampa Bay. That team was absurdly loaded. Honestly, I'd say him winning only 1 super bowl in 3 years on that super team is an indictment on him.

Brady wouldn't have succeeded with an average NFL roster without Bill. Bill could've succeeded with literally anyone but Mac Jones. He did choose him though, so he kind of deserves all this.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

I'm not saying he wants to be here, but there is a chance that New England is ready for a fresh start.  Bill might not get the chance to coach that top QB prospect.

I would say that is highly unlikely. He will get to retire on his terms, IMO. Provided this rut doesn't last 2-3 more seasons.

Edited by kungfoodude

29 minutes ago, IndyPanther said:

Bill isn't failing because he's without Tom Brady. He's failing because he's with Mac Jones, the worst starting QB in the NFL. The Patriots were fine in the Cam year, going .500 with a horrendous roster. They retooled the following offseason and would've been primed to compete for years had they stuck with him.

Brady also gets no credit for winning a SB without Bill. He left the Patriots for a reason. Their roster sucked. He went and built a superteam in Tampa Bay. That team was absurdly loaded. Honestly, I'd say him winning only 1 super bowl in 3 years on that super team is an indictment on him.

Brady wouldn't have succeeded with an average NFL roster without Bill. Bill could've succeeded with literally anyone but Mac Jones. He did choose him though, so he kind of deserves all this.

Actually Bill has always been an extremely poor judge of QB talent. Literally the only one he got right was Brady and that was accidental.

27 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Please stop with cam playing quarterback here or anywhere.  His arm is toast and he would be better then ridder and the current version of young but that's a very low bar

When he plays in the NFL ineffectively, people will stop talking about it. He was a top 16 QB when he last played and has never been a bottom half starter in his entire career. There is nothing to suggest his arm is toast besides just pure guessing that it's changed since he's last played.

Aside from the question of if Bill has anything left to even be worth trying to get, how has nobody brought up that he's still under contract with the Patriots for a while?

Which means we'd have to trade for him... we don't have the draft picks to adequately re-stock the roster, we can't be giving out high draft picks for a soon to be 72 year old coach who may or may not still have what it takes to turn this team into a winner.

Even if the Patriots want to move on from him (which in itself would be a sign that it's a bad idea) and they don't demand a 1st for him like the Saints did for Payton, I'm guessing they'd want our 2nd rounder this year for him.

There's probably only a small handful of current HC's that I'd be willing to give up that 2nd pick to get, and Bill sure as hell ain't one of them.

Shannahan, Siriani, and McDaniel would probably be the extent of my list that I'd trade a draft pick for.

Sure, there are plenty of other great HC's out there that I'd love to get, but if we were trading away good picks, you have to factor in things like age (so no to an Andy Reid) and likelihood of still wanting to coach for a long time (so no McVay has he's already been rumored to be wanting to move to the TV studio in the near future).

Edited by tukafan21

I will say this: IF there is anything that could save Bryce Young, it would be this. There's a good chance he's beyond salvage but Tom Brady is literally the only QB with his arm strength to succeed in the NFL in the last 30 years. If he did it for Brady, there's at least a chance he could do it for Young.