• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg lobbies for the HC job

Tbe

4 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Brown would go for it because nobody else is giving him an OC job in 2024, not after how this year went, he'll have to take a step backwards next year.  So for him, I think it's a no brainer to get another chance at being OC in 2024 and see if he can show anything.

Evero would be tougher to sell, but at the same time, he's not getting a HC job in 2024, so if the option is having to be a DC for a 3rd team in 3 years, or keep the same players and system he had this year that has been decent with mostly backups and hope they can stay healthy in 2024... the later seems like a better path for him to get an HC opportunity in 2025.

It would be more favorable for finding a new HC because even if we kept losing because Bryce is awful, there at least will be more of a fight in the players with someone like Greg leading them.  He'll instill a sense of confidence back into the players and franchise, even if the wins aren't there, similar to what Dan Campbell did in his first year with the Lions when they only won 3 games.

And since in this scenario, Greg is taking it knowing it's a 1 year job unless we somehow have an amazing season, him stepping down because it's not working (which is what he'd have to agree to ahead of time in this scenario to get the job) is VERY different than if Tepper fires someone for the 3rd year in a row.  We then have our Top 5 draft pick to entice a good HC candidate to come in and use to replace Bryce with the QB of their choice, while the franchise as a whole is just in a better mental state than they are right now.

Again.... I'm not advocating for this and I don't think it will happen... but if the alternative is settling for say, Eric Bienemy, who will only make the locker room worse over 2024 because the players will hate playing for him, and then Tepper has to fire him after 1 year... I'll take this Greg scenario I've laid out 100 times out of 99 over the Bienemy one.

Seriously, if we end up with Bienemy, people are going to long for the times like right now, when we realize we were nowhere near rock bottom compared to this time next year when the players are openly complaining about Bienemy being a POS.

If Tepper realizes he's turned this job into this hard of a sell then he should be more than willing to go out and hire a legit GM and give him legit GM controls and that would fix a lot of the hard sell issues.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If Tepper realizes he's turned this job into this hard of a sell then he should be more than willing to go out and hire a legit GM and give him legit GM controls and that would fix a lot of the hard sell issues.

No it won't, it will slightly help, but it won't fix poo in time for this hire.

Even hiring a legit and competent GM before an HC this offseason, it doesn't solve the real problem, that we're tied to Bryce for 2024, no 1st round pick in 2024, and a depleted roster.

I don't care if we could somehow steal Howie Roseman from the Eagles, no decent HC candidate wants to step into that situation this offseason.  Which is why I've been saying for weeks that firing Riech right now is 1 step forward but 3 steps backwards, it solves one problem while creating a whole new mess of others that I don't see a logical path forward from, namely, we can't attract someone we actually would want long term as HC this offseason.

Short of Tepper guaranteeing this new HC that they won't get fired after this season, that they have free reign to replace Bryce with our 2025 1st, and another guarantee of 2 or 3 full seasons after that point before he'd consider firing them... nobody is tying their HC career to Bryce, not when most HC's only get 1 shot at it.

They'd be taking a job where they're on the hot seat before they even move into the city and have Bryce as their QB while on said hot seat... who in their right mind wants that?!?!?!

Edited by tukafan21

10 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Brown would go for it because nobody else is giving him an OC job in 2024, not after how this year went, he'll have to take a step backwards next year.  So for him, I think it's a no brainer to get another chance at being OC in 2024 and see if he can show anything.

Evero would be tougher to sell, but at the same time, he's not getting a HC job in 2024, so if the option is having to be a DC for a 3rd team in 3 years, or keep the same players and system he had this year that has been decent with mostly backups and hope they can stay healthy in 2024... the later seems like a better path for him to get an HC opportunity in 2025.

It would be more favorable for finding a new HC because even if we kept losing because Bryce is awful, there at least will be more of a fight in the players with someone like Greg leading them.  He'll instill a sense of confidence back into the players and franchise, even if the wins aren't there, similar to what Dan Campbell did in his first year with the Lions when they only won 3 games.

And since in this scenario, Greg is taking it knowing it's a 1 year job unless we somehow have an amazing season, him stepping down because it's not working (which is what he'd have to agree to ahead of time in this scenario to get the job) is VERY different than if Tepper fires someone for the 3rd year in a row.  We then have our Top 5 draft pick to entice a good HC candidate to come in and use to replace Bryce with the QB of their choice, while the franchise as a whole is just in a better mental state than they are right now.

Again.... I'm not advocating for this and I don't think it will happen... but if the alternative is settling for say, Eric Bienemy, who will only make the locker room worse over 2024 because the players will hate playing for him, and then Tepper has to fire him after 1 year... I'll take this Greg scenario I've laid out 100 times out of 99 over the Bienemy one.

Seriously, if we end up with Bienemy, people are going to long for the times like right now, when we realize we were nowhere near rock bottom compared to this time next year when the players are openly complaining about Bienemy being a POS.  There is a reason he's never gotten that HC job before now, and it sure as hell isn't the color of his skin, it's because nobody likes him, he couldn't even get along with Mahomes.

This year is not over. 

Greg would walk in day 1 with the immediate respect required of players and staff. 

I would love to see his offensive concepts. He obviously doesn’t seem to hate the idea of coaching Bryce or he’d never put it out there. 

Greg isn’t the kind of guy to work an angle on something. He’s straight up and I truly believe he is interested. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan
  • Pie 1

I heard him talk to Rich Eisen about this yesterday.  While he did not say "No, I'd never take it" he did seem like he's interested.  His point is that there have been more than enough failures of NFL coaches to justify trying something different, a la John Lynch (has been repeated enough to wonder if he's just a lucky unicorn and not a model for the future).  There's a lot of thoughts about the rise through the coaching ranks being necessary or not.

Greg is a fantastic leader.  Every team he's been on, he's been one of the dudes.  A coach on the field.  Being the HC does require you to be a great leader.  He's also very smart, and he's called a lot of games.  He's seen a LOT of football on the field and in the booth.  I would not discount Greg's ability to coach football players and to find the right coaches.  Greg's been in production meetings with tons of players and coaches.  While he doesn't have  Reich level rolodex of players - he does have a lot of contact and relationships with current coaches and players.

I will say, you can talk yourself into Greg Olsen being the next great Panthers coach.  It looks like it could be lightning in a bottle.  I have no idea how that would work.  It's above my pay grade.  It could be entertaining if nothing else.  And he'd give great pressers!

At this point - I'm just kind of done being frustrated with the Panthers.  I'm going to enjoy whatever good times, and laugh at the bad.  It's not worth me feeling bad about entertainment.  I will just try to be entertained one way or another.  I will have the Benny Hill music on loop ready for the mistakes!

• Pie 1

The more time I’ve thought about it, the more I REALLY want Greg here. He doesn’t have a negative quality. 

He was a DUDE. Alpha. Laser focused, intense, highly intelligent clutch GAMEBREAKER who kept other defensive coordinators up at night. You NEVER saw him take a play off. He was the most savvy offensive player the Panthers have ever had. He was the Luke of our offense. I really want to see what plays he would draw up. 

It Greg were to walk in to that locker room this Sunday, the whole place would go silent waiting for what he had to say. That’s what this team desperately needs  

Edited by Gapanthersfan