• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank Reich was the fall guy

Jmac

3 hours ago, Jmac said:

He was stuck with a QB he probably didn't want and was expected to perform miracles.

The whole playbook indicates that Young was very limited and he knew it. Only so much he could do with what he had.

I have a feeling Tepper had his foot on his neck to start Young and make it work. He was probably relieved that he was let go.

This whole thing with Tepper and Young had set this team back years. Having to take all kinds of crap from your boss and be the fall guy really sucks.

His scheme was a terrible fit for his personnel.  Thats the definition of a bad coaching job as far as Im concerned.   There is blame to be placed on everyone in the building.  Reich doesnt get a pass.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, Jmac said:

He was stuck with a QB he probably didn't want and was expected to perform miracles.

The whole playbook indicates that Young was very limited and he knew it. Only so much he could do with what he had.

I have a feeling Tepper had his foot on his neck to start Young and make it work. He was probably relieved that he was let go.

This whole thing with Tepper and Young had set this team back years. Having to take all kinds of crap from your boss and be the fall guy really sucks.

Dude Franks suck as a HC. He was fired 2 straight years. How did you watch his awful play calling and think he was a fall guy?

He sucks as a play caller and he doesn't seem to be any kind of vocal leader in the locker room. Good riddance he's rich he will be fine.

Just now, Tr3ach said:

Him and Thomas Brown made it together.   I believe Reich said it was 60/40

As far as influences, but Brown wrote the plays. That's per Brown himself.

Frank put him on a position he wasn't really ready for. Mind you, it's not a bad thing to give somebody an opportunity, but if they aren't ready for it then this is the kind of thing that happens.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Why are we trying to pretend Frank was some amazing coach in the first place? Check out Indianapolis message boards and it might open your eyes a bit. Hell, listen to the interview with Jeff Saturday about what the culture was like when he took over for Frank.

Nobody is saying Reich was an amazing coach. He had his hands tied by a meddling owner and was forced to deal with a QB he had no confidence in. He had no choice in the matter even though he was the "HC".

He got the shaft and probably regretted  taking the job not long into the season.

Edited by Jmac

3 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I don't disagree, but he shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

He may be a good coach in some way shape or form, but he isn't who we as the 2023/24 Panthers needed as a coach this year.

We are so beyond broken as a franchise, we probably need a guy like Belichick or Harbaugh brought in to instill some semblance of a team culture because right now we have absolutely none.

Belichick is 71. If he leave N.E. I would be surprised if he doesn’t call it a day. 

Leading up to the draft was when Frank realized it was bait and switch. Whenever a job overpays, there’s a damn good reason.  Verbal ‘here’s how things are going to go’ kind of spitballing shifted with wind. I wouldn’t doubt if everyone was unified in the Stroud pick from the beginning and morale was actually pretty decent. 

The problem is that Tepper gets hot and bothered by obscure calculations and evaluations, in an effort to prove how superior analytics are compared to traditional ways. Unfortunately, this also included the eye test and can this dude even throw a football. 

*Here’s where I start my logical speculation*

Frank has seen enough football that he knew it would never work with Bryce, so I don’t think he ever really tried. You can’t find a single interview where he genuinely looked enthusiastic. 

He needed to get fired. If he quits, he likely has to pay back the net amount of any sign on bonus… that taxes have already assessed on.  His goal was to continue to run the ‘get the piss beat out of Bryce’ offense so Tepper would have no choice but to fire him or have Bryce completely smashed.  A game of chicken he knew he would win.  

Frank’s not a good coach, but once Bryce got the nod and Frank realized he had 0 autonomy of what was supposed to be his team, he was out. 

6 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

Belichick is 71. If he leave N.E. I would be surprised if he doesn’t call it a day. 

He should probably retire. He's a walking football encyclopedia, I'd absolutely love to watch him do some sort of show on the NFL Network or something similar. When he's not being asked dumbass questions by the media, he has some great insight on all facets of the game if he breaks down film or is speaking about the game in general.

Is there any doubt if we just started Andy, or drafted CJ, and Frank was our coach for 17 full games we’d have 6 or 7 wins and Frank keeps his job? We have a bad team, but we were never in complete rebuild mode like the Cardinals and Patriots. The team is mostly just mid market veteran types. Frank honestly got screwed. He was made to play Bryce and Tepper applied tons of pressure to make it work, it was never going to work. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

*Here’s where I start my logical speculation*

Frank has seen enough football that he knew it would never work with Bryce, so I don’t think he ever really tried. You can’t find a single interview where he genuinely looked enthusiastic. 

He needed to get fired. If he quits, he likely has to pay back the net amount of any sign on bonus… that taxes have already assessed on.  His goal was to continue to run the ‘get the piss beat out of Bryce’ offense so Tepper would have no choice but to fire him or have Bryce completely smashed.  A game of chicken he knew he would win.  

Frank’s not a good coach, but once Bryce got the nod and Frank realized he had 0 autonomy of what was supposed to be his team, he was out. 

1000% this

here is the really big huge problem in Carolina right now & that is the fact that David Tepper is way way more worried about being right than anything else & yeah that's his egomaniac & dogmatic personality & moreover being a spoiled rotten brat that's used to getting his way all the time.instead of on the other hand addressing the problem for what it really is & publicly  saying hey you know what i screwed up sorry & now it's time we need to go in a different direction next year at Qb ...period

Edited by bandu