• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank Reich was the fall guy

Jmac

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's a narrative I'm not going to be too surprised to see people take up.

Frank certainly did some things wrong, but there's an argument to be made that he just put in a terrible position.

Good point, While I agree this could be true, the results on the field were absolutely terrible and his adjustments were some of the worst in the league. Multiple teams this season have had to depend on Backup QB’s, some Undrafted free agents, and the teams are winning games even facing this “challenge”. We had a game back in the day where Deangelo Williams ran out of wild cat on 95 percent of our plays and we won against Atlanta. Frank may have been in a bad spot potentially but his adjustments as an NFL head coach was atrocious at best. 

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 2

Just now, Waldo said:

Too little is still actually known. It sure sounds like it's headed for more to drop to us. It's going to be interesting to see where the poop falls. 

That's pretty much my take right now.

Get the feeling that if / when we get more info, It's going to sound like a Mongolian cluster of huge proportions 😕

• Beer 1

I do believe Reich did want Stroud. Go back and look at his proday. But in the end Reich was a dinosaur and I think it just was not a match one way or another. Should have hired Steichen. But Tepper didn't want some young guy who had never been a head coach before telling him what's what. Conversely he didn't want Wilks either. Reich was just the type of man Tepper could overshadow and manipulate and he wouldn't make a big fuss. That should tell you how completely screwed we are for the foreseeable future.

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Get the feeling that if / when we get more info, It's going to sound like a Mongolian cluster of huge proportions 😕

This is what I’m curious about.

HC (offensive-minded) coach gets fired, sure.

RB coach / assistant head coach gets fired at the same time.  Hmm.

QB Coach also gets fired at the same time.  Wha?

Jim Caldwell (who interviewed and missed out on the HC position to Reich but accepted Sr Assistant to the HC)…is then promoted to Special Advisor.  ?

Then there’s the chatter about coaches texting the owner behind peoples backs.  Who was doing the texting and about what?

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's pretty much my take right now.

We know there was one schism when Frank got fired. We know the BS they were slinging throughout the process. There is so much more that has beem happening along the way. Frank asking to sit Young after week six is a great example. Not adapting is another. Like what did they actually ask him to do or was it just Fank being Frank? No idea but I would love to find out.

11 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I said during pre draft if you hire a coach especially one who emphasizes in QBs and immediately overrule them in what QB to get its already the beginning of the end. 

Best ownership philosophy:

Offensive coach, defensive coach, quarterback guru, whatever...

Just stay the hell out of it.

• Beer 2