• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How difficult to go back to a 4/3 D?

Jmac

I hate the 3/4. Seems a liability against the run and a certain type of player is needed to make it work.

If Brown and Luvu could fit in the scheme and excell, then do it. I'm not sure Burns will even be here in the long run.

Since they are doing a house cleaning except for a few key players, then why not. A new HC and staff and possible GM. If they going to ever do it, that would be the time.

Is it doable?

Edited by Jmac
  • Pie 3

I'm a traditional 4-3 defence guy & wasn't a fan of the 3-4 scheme at the beginning, but as the season went on & being a newly implemented scheme, they have really showed some promise. It's in the top half of defences in the league, even with so many injuries in the squad, merry-go-round of CB, not having Chinn on the field, and no "real" MLB. Shaq is not the answer at MLB & Luvu is showing an improvement over him, but it's not his natural position.

• Beer 1

We never picked up a true 1-technique nose tackle after cutting McCall. I’m surprised the run defense wasn’t exposed more often this year. Nevertheless a 3-4 would work much better with a pro typical 335- 345 pound hog mollie that can take on a double team, without getting pushed around. 

If the reports about Evero staying are true I expect the new GM to help support the 3-4 conversion by bringing in another edge and a 3-4 nose tackle.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

I don't know what fans know about 3-4 but why are people saying Burns is DE? Do you know the difference between DE and OLB in 3-4? This thread is odd.

The DEs are not too small and the OLBs are not too small imo. It's more of a talent issue than a size issue imo. I like 6-5 300lbs DEs, but there needs to be the talent along with that. I think we're ok at OLB and NT, but we could upgrade Matos but his size is fine for OLB. Burns is fine but lazy and wanting his big payday. Takes plays off and doesn't want to get hurt mixing it up.

• Pie 1

IDC about the scheme as long as we are effective. This season our defense has been very good(not so much this game), so I have minimal issues with them.

Certainly could use some upgrades on personnel but not upset at that side of the ball at all.

Our offense needs a heavy overhaul or at least some fuging identity. I know it was better today but it still has to get far better this offseason.