• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who is falling for the Peacock Wildcard bullshitt

Jmac

I cut all my streaming services.  I may sign up for Apple when Masters of the Air comes on, but the cost of all of them was getting ludicrous. 

Also, at one point in time, boxing was one of the biggest sports in the US.  Millions watched Sugar Ray Leonard or Ali on network TV.   But all their main events were PPV.  Don't get me wrong, boxing had a lot of problems, but PPV is one of the reasons that it is no longer a major sport.  

NFL should take that lesson to heart. 

Edited by Davidson Deac II

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I cut all my streaming services.  I may sign up for Apple when Masters of the Air comes on, but the cost of all of them was getting ludicrous. 

Also, at one point in time, boxing was one of the biggest sports in the US.  Millions watched Sugar Ray Leonard or Ali on network TV.   But all their main events were PPV.  Don't get me wrong, boxing had a lot of problems, but PPV is one of the reasons that it is no longer a major sport.  

NFL should take that lesson to heart. 

They won't.

It makes a TON of money.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

It's circling back to a cable bundle model, as streamers (other than netflix) are all losing money and figure merging services is the solution 

It won't be a cable bundle, though. Cable companies are getting out of the tv business, left and right. It's more profitable to just be ISP's. 

There will be bundles, but they'll be streaming bundles.

3 hours ago, fanpanther said:

Profootball talk (nbc owned) talks about it in their article the nfl gets alot of freebies from the government bc they are suppose to allow the entire country free access to view but until congress cracks down on it the nfl will keep selling games behind pay walls

I didn't know this so that now makes sense about everything

58 minutes ago, djp14 said:

It won't be a cable bundle, though. Cable companies are getting out of the tv business, left and right. It's more profitable to just be ISP's. 

There will be bundles, but they'll be streaming bundles.

Maybe, maybe not. I mean, I see your point but there’s this twist:

look at the negotiation Spectrum/Charter did with Disney last year. They negotiated the inclusion of the Disney streaming apps for their customers into the cable bundle. Disney gave in because (in part) they know they’ll have a bigger battle selling ESPN direct to consumer for the predicted $30/month price point vs what the $12/mo they’re getting from cable now. And because of how carriage contracts are written, you should expect to see the same happening with Comcast, Verizon, and others down the line.

yes, some cable providers are shutting down the TV service in lieu of providing only broadband access…and while its shrinking, there is still an audience who appreciates the convenience and AYCE approach cable provides vs managing multiple services.  

the streamers are finding that it may be more cost effective to focus on content rather than manage content+distribution.

6 hours ago, countryboi said:

I dont know who thought this was a good idea but I will bootleg this game before I pay a dime

I am sure executive at NBC had this idea. They are trying to see if they can increase Peacock membership by taking a wildcard game off the regular NBC market.

1 hour ago, PanthersATL said:

Maybe, maybe not. I mean, I see your point but there’s this twist:

look at the negotiation Spectrum/Charter did with Disney last year. They negotiated the inclusion of the Disney streaming apps for their customers into the cable bundle. Disney gave in because (in part) they know they’ll have a bigger battle selling ESPN direct to consumer for the predicted $30/month price point vs what the $12/mo they’re getting from cable now. And because of how carriage contracts are written, you should expect to see the same happening with Comcast, Verizon, and others down the line.

yes, some cable providers are shutting down the TV service in lieu of providing only broadband access…and while its shrinking, there is still an audience who appreciates the convenience and AYCE approach cable provides vs managing multiple services.  

True, but the people still interested in cable skew much older.

I watch tv on my flatscreen, and play games on my phone. My adult kids play games on their flatscreen, and watch tv on their phone.

And if you're not into sports, there's really no reason to have live tv. 

So yes, cable is a viable option for now. But it's going the way of the dodo, eventually.

14 hours ago, CRA said:

Everyone took it when they went to Amazon all year.  Only a matter of time before everyone buys a random game to force you to buy their service (and forget to cancel it) 

Yeah but, everyone uses Amazon and a ton of people already had prime. That being said I still think it’s bs and nfl games should be on normal tv.