• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

38 minutes ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

I imagine the Panthers wait on Ben Johnson until next week.

The problem with waiting is that they might miss on the guy(s) that want to coach this team instead of just getting the biggest check. That's if there are any of them that truly want to come here.

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

Something to keep in mind. Once Raheem Morris and Dave Canales officially interview today, the Panthers meet the Rooney Rule requirements and can hire a HC at any point after that. There is the possibility that the Canales hype was covering for the Vrabel interview. It seems like the news didn't break that he was interviewing in Carolina until after he was on his way out of Atlanta. 

I think Vrabel is a Wild Card, he doesn't bring the flashy type of football that Tepper likes and I doubt they get along much at all but Morgan could be the buffer.

I still think Canales or Quinn could be in play just off of their connections to Dan Morgan but I just don't think the Panthers are ready to commit to either one yet. Definitely much more likely chance of Canales over Quinn though.

I think Macdonald has a better chance than Monken out of the Baltimore crowd. He's young, been with John H. a while, has a strong personality, and giant finance brain. Prior to this season and his time at Georgia, Monken had a spotty career. He's also an older guy and I don't believe he brings that structure that they are looking for. He's much more of the Xs/Os type guy. 

I imagine the Panthers wait on Ben Johnson until next week. I think you at least have to bring him down to Charlotte and take your shot in person. I think his chances of going to Washington are pretty high. Only way I see that not happening is if Macdonald gets in there first and pulls it out from under him.

In no particular order I would have to say: Canales, Macdonald, Monken, and Vrabel as the wild card.

What if they are also waiting to see if they get to keep Ejiro? 

If Ejiro were to get the ATL or SEA job that would change the calculus on hiring someone like Canales.

22 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

The problem with waiting is that they might miss on the guy(s) that want to coach this team instead of just getting the biggest check. That's if there are any of them that truly want to come here.

Oh for sure, which is why I think just about every move this week is calculated. I don't think coincidences exist this week. 

19 minutes ago, Evil Hurney said:

What if they are also waiting to see if they get to keep Ejiro? 

If Ejiro were to get the ATL or SEA job that would change the calculus on hiring someone like Canales.

I think Ejiro is on the table in Carolina but very much near the edge. I think he may be getting some looks through the league to satisfy the RR but I think his interviews here are more of a play to keep him happy and engaged in an effort to possibly align him as DC with the next HC. (Should the next HC feel compatible). I am willing to eat my crow in front of the message board should the opposite happen though.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

Oh for sure, which is why I think just about every move this week is calculated. I don't think coincidences exist this week. 

I think Ejiro is on the table in Carolina but very much near the edge. I think he may be getting some looks through the league to satisfy the RR but I think his interviews here are more of a play to keep him happy and engaged in an effort to possibly align him as DC with the next HC. (Should the next HC feel compatible). I am willing to eat my crow in front of the message board should the opposite happen though.

Good stuff 

If you think you have even a 10% chance at Johnson I’m fine to wait and let this weekend play out to make a final Hail mary attempt. But if the Lions win, I’m not sure we can go an extra two weeks without hiring a coach unless we’re super confident we might get him. And every insider thinks him to Washington is a formality 

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

Something to keep in mind. Once Raheem Morris and Dave Canales officially interview today, the Panthers meet the Rooney Rule requirements and can hire a HC at any point after that. There is the possibility that the Canales hype was covering for the Vrabel interview. It seems like the news didn't break that he was interviewing in Carolina until after he was on his way out of Atlanta. 

I think Vrabel is a Wild Card, he doesn't bring the flashy type of football that Tepper likes and I doubt they get along much at all but Morgan could be the buffer.

I still think Canales or Quinn could be in play just off of their connections to Dan Morgan but I just don't think the Panthers are ready to commit to either one yet. Definitely much more likely chance of Canales over Quinn though.

I think Macdonald has a better chance than Monken out of the Baltimore crowd. He's young, been with John H. a while, has a strong personality, and giant finance brain. Prior to this season and his time at Georgia, Monken had a spotty career. He's also an older guy and I don't believe he brings that structure that they are looking for. He's much more of the Xs/Os type guy. 

I imagine the Panthers wait on Ben Johnson until next week. I think you at least have to bring him down to Charlotte and take your shot in person. I think his chances of going to Washington are pretty high. Only way I see that not happening is if Macdonald gets in there first and pulls it out from under him.

In no particular order I would have to say: Canales, Macdonald, Monken, and Vrabel as the wild card.

Joe Person on Twitter was talking about maneuvering two nights ago and teams not confirming interview requests etc.

does it seem like the organization is being pretty tight lipped about their moves and could that be a reason we haven’t seen any confirmation the panthers might send people to Detroit like the Commanders and Falcons have? 

Seems like they are playing this pretty close to the vest. Does Slowik still have a shot? 

• Beer 1

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Getting the impression from what I've read that some of what he was wanting might have scared them off.

That's mostly speculation though.

Atlanta beat writers are saying that Rich McKay has been the road block between them landing Belichick. 

McKay is an old friend of Blanks and helped realize the new stadium project and parleyed that influence into having high executive powers. It’s being leaked from someone in the organization. 

Do you guys understand how directionless this search is? The Seahawks have their mind set on a defensive guy to stop 49ers and Rams. The Titans had their mind set on a west coast offense guy for Will Levis. We are interviewing everyone from the eagles OC to Mike Vrabel to defensive guys. Totally lost franchise right now. 

3 minutes ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

Do you guys understand how directionless this search is? The Seahawks have their mind set on a defensive guy to stop 49ers and Rams. The Titans had their mind set on a west coast offense guy for Will Levis. We are interviewing everyone from the eagles OC to Mike Vrabel to defensive guys. Totally lost franchise right now. 

I get hating Tepper but the interviews are not directionless. We have some solid candidates set for our second round of interviews and seeing Vrabel on the list makes me happy. The Eagles OC didn’t make the cut for 2nd interviews. 

• Pie 4

13 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

If they hire Vrabel the Morgan hire makes sense. They needed a GM strong enough to physically restrain Vrabel in meetings

Good, we need someone like Vrabel. We have had two of the softest coaches in the league the last two hires 

4 minutes ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

Every team so far has interviewed a blend of offensive and defensive coaches. I’m totally fine to be skeptical about everything this team does right now but what exactly would you like to see them do differently? Also, last year our search had a “direction.” We were set on an offensive mind and missed out on Ryans and Gannon because of it.

• Pie 1