• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Quandary: 2024 Draft, FA Stopgap, or Stand Pat?

rayzor

best course of action at QB in 2024  

86 members have voted

1. 1. best course of action at QB in 2024

• 2024 draft pick
    • FA stop gap to get us through to 2025
    • Stand Pat with who we've got

lol you delusional fugers on here that won’t accept that Bryce is gonna be here for the length of his contract and they are going to do everything and give him every opportunity to be the guy during that time. They gave up way too much to give up on him after 1 year. Just fuging accept it and deal with it

Edited by MtnJax
  • Pie 1

12 hours ago, 45catfan said:

image.png.297fd2c984059e8100aeb774c8b25c5e.png

LOl!  Ewers will end up being the top QB and he's not even close to a generational QB.

WAIT TO 2025 THEY SAY!!!!  Man, if I could did up all those receipts from last offseason (and prior), but I'm not petty enough to do that as tempting as it is.

Ewers and sanders are better than Bryce right now.

18 minutes ago, MtnJax said:

lol you delusional fugers on here that won’t accept that Bryce is gonna be here for the length of his contract and they are going to do everything and give him every opportunity to be the guy during that time. They gave up way too much to give up on him after 1 year. Just fuging accept it and deal with it

And they will have to deal with a empty stadium every sunday and eventually a disgruntled locker room because they know bryce sucks. We will see how far that goes buddy.

9 hours ago, Waldo said:

A vet winning 7-8 games seems like the stretch. Even with Dalton starting as many games as he physically could this year it's still a 5 win team. Now spending big in free agency on a QB or god forbid a frigging trade is absolutely the worst addition to the situation. But some Dalton like vet? I mean worst case scenario you do a Baker @ 4 mil a year deal and get into the playoffs and hope to have hired the offensive guy who made that possible before they are snagged away. Even in that scenario there is more competency than this franchise has sniffed in years. That wouldn't be a complete loss. Just saying

LG had stated 7-8 wins, so I just kept what he had went with. The team is going to ride with Young next season for better or worse. People need to accept that and move on. Hopefully, that will also mean either Young is the guy or he leads the team to another top 3 pick.

Edit: Going back to mediocrity is not something that needs to happen but I think most fans would be happy with even though that is sad.

Edited by jayboogieman
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

LG had stated 7-8 wins, so I just kept what he had went with. The team is going to ride with Young next season for better or worse. People need to accept that and move on. Hopefully, that will also mean either Young is the guy or he leads the team to another top 3 pick.

Edit: Going back to mediocrity is not something that needs to happen but I think most fans would be happy with even though that is sad.

If he plays like he did in 23 then there is zero good justification for playing him past week 6 to 8. A first year HC that does that is a loser and shouldn't make it past their first year as HC. Young shouldn't have this last year so yeah Reich was right about that. I don't see how the team is worse off after another year like that because picking 1st vs 5-10 isn't worth it. They won't pull a Bucs in 24 with a Baker signing, they just don't have enough tallent even if they can finally sign a good HC (that is also very unlikely). Forcing Young to play the entire year just for another #1 pick just feels like a Madden move that is unjustifiable in real life...as much as I would like that to be the answer. Just be one and done with Morgan and whatever idiot he helps hire.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Waldo said:

If he plays like he did in 23 then there is zero good justification for playing him past week 6 to 8. A first year HC that does that is a loser and shouldn't make it past their first year as HC. Young shouldn't have this last year so yeah Reich was right about that. I don't see how the team is worse off after another year like that because picking 1st vs 5-10 isn't worth it. They won't pull a Bucs in 24 with a Baker signing, they just don't have enough tallent even if they can finally sign a good HC (that is also very unlikely). Forcing Young to play the entire year just for another #1 pick just feels like a Madden move that is unjustifiable in real life...as much as I would like that to be the answer. Just be one and done with Morgan and whatever idiot he helps hire.

I get what you're saying, but that's why you have to be smart. Get it written into the contract that you get two years if you have to start the current QB, no matter if you're sold on him or not, and get to pick his replacement in the draft if things don't work out with him.

That said, odds are the team ends up with one of the lesser HC candidates because the better ones aren't going to come here. So, does it really matter?

I have zero trust or faith in Tepper's organization. Hiring Morgan wasn't a strike, it was an out. They have two more and one of them will be the HC hire. The minimum to get me to restore even a little bit of faith or trust is back to back winning seasons or a superbowl victory. Whichever happens first and I'm not holding my breath for either to happen anytime in the next decade.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I get what you're saying, but that's why you have to be smart. Get it written into the contract that you get two years if you have to start the current QB, no matter if you're sold on him or not, and get to pick his replacement in the draft if things don't work out with him.

That said, odds are the team ends up with one of the lesser HC candidates because the better ones aren't going to come here. So, does it really matter?

I have zero trust or faith in Tepper's organization. Hiring Morgan wasn't a strike, it was an out. They have two more and one of them will be the HC hire. The minimum to get me to restore even a little bit of faith or trust is back to back winning seasons or a superbowl victory. Whichever happens first and I'm not holding my breath for either to happen anytime in the next decade.

No it doesn't matter because the guy who owns it runs a trainwreck. Still what I said stands. I have no problem with wanting it to happen but it really shouldn't in reality...but this is a trainwreck so they really could do it because their people are that bad here. There just isn't anything smart about it, it will be more incompetence that does that job in 24. Hell they can't even do a firesell in week 6 like Miami dod to build themselves up because there is so little talent left on the roster.

• Pie 1

Bryce is starting every game next year until he gets hurt.  This is how we should prepare...

• Trade Burns for a late first and get a speedy WR that can get a little separation.
  • Draft a G/C at the top of the second so there might be an actual pocket to play from.
  • Draft a pass-catching TE at the top of the 3rd to have an option in the middle of the field.
  • Stay away from high priced Free Agents.

We will win 4 games and have a top 5 pick regardless of what we do.  But we have to be able to evaluate our most expensive investment.  

If we are scrappy competitive underdogs and Bryce plays well, then the rebuild continues with an eye toward defense in 2025.  If Bryce continues to struggle and we're getting blown out each week, you have to think about a QB in 2025.

On 1/22/2024 at 10:36 AM, kungfoodude said:

I would say option 1 should be Dalton. But, if a great option exists at 33, we'd be fools not to take it. BPA all the way. We have too many holes to fill in one offseason. This will be a multi-year rebuild.

Bryce and Dalton this year. Use our draft to add much needed pieces both offense and defense. Supplement with FA.

If Bryce shitts the bed, that means we will have a top ten pick in 2025. Grab the best QB available at that draft position and keep moving.

Edited by Jmac
  • Beer 2

On 1/22/2024 at 10:34 AM, frankw said:

We've been flailing around making moves for QB's going on 4 years now and each time we've been worse off for it.

Leave it alone and reassess in 2025 and if you need to draft one then go for it. Odds are 95% we will have a top ten pick.

On 1/22/2024 at 10:36 AM, CamWhoaaCam said:

This is easy.

Keep Bryce get the #1 pick in the draft.

Draft our QB #1 overall in 2025.

I would say these two guys sum it up pretty well. Stay put, start Bryce and if he develops into something great we are okay. If not then he probably leads us to a top pick and we draft his replacement right after next season.

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

Riding with the vet and winning 7-8 games would also make a lot of fans feel better about themselves. But as you said, it wouldn't help the team find an actual QB answer.

I agree, but that's pretty hard on the players that want to win. Starting Young is like waving a white flag, there will be a mutiny eventually. Not an easy situation for a new coach.

18 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I agree, but that's pretty hard on the players that want to win. Starting Young is like waving a white flag, there will be a mutiny eventually. Not an easy situation for a new coach.

Eh, it really all depends on what Young does this offseason and if he goes into the season playing better. Having a quality coach that holds him accountable to improve his fundamentals and builds a system for him from day 1 could be the kick in the ass Young needs to succeed. If Young is able to show promise, improvement, and leadership, the other players will follow him even in another losing season. If he can't, the Panthers will be looking for another QB in the draft.

18 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Ewers and sanders are better than Bryce right now.

Yup, but they aren't better than a QB we could get at #33 this year and that's my entire point.  Penix and Nix would be higher than either Sanders or Ewers if they could have returned for one more year.