• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers closing in on hiring DAVE CANALES

Coheed

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Word was they were pretty high on Callahan before the Titans got him. Hence why I fear we panicked here.

It also comes off as a "bidding against ourselves" sort of thing since no one else was pursuing him. There was no need to rush...but we did.

I hope it works, but it might be one of those cases of "more lucky than good".

Did they panic or was he already number one in their list?

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, KSpan said:

The standard for Canales should be exactly as it was for Reich - steady and visible improvement thorughout the season with little to no regard for the overall record. If the team (players and staff alike) compete, grow, and show themselves to be strategically competent, then as long as they end 2024 playing much better football than they did at the start it's a positive season. If they don't then the leash should continue to be short, and if things carry along this same trend as this year we'll know that Tepper is an even more massive moron than he has appeared thus far.

Agreed. I’m not expecting many wins the next couple years but could we just see some improvement, please? How about seeing 2-3 starters from each draft with at least one being really solid and not feeling like the team is getting worse every year? It doesn’t seem like much to ask.

I’m just hoping we get back to Rhule/Hurney level where we weren’t good but at least we at least occasionally hung with playoff teams. Still hurts to think how bad Fitterer really was that Rhule/Hurney was a lot better than last year. Just get us there first, baby steps.

33 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

That tells you all you need to know about the search.   Getting a coach that wasn't down on Bryce and could fix him.   Whatever that means 

fug me if true. Welp, another 2 more wasted years before we find another QB, coach and GM. 

Interesting, I've warmed up to him the past couple weeks. he definitely was not my first choice. My gut tells me that both Johnson and Slowik told us no thanks under the table and Tepper/Morgan just said fug it and went for Canales. 

That being said, can we please give this guy some grace to build our football team? We have our first round pick next year. Let this process play out for a bit instead of crucifying him when we don't have a good season next year (we likely won't no matter who was hired)