• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Assistant Coach Chatter

Mr. Scot

19 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1750888703294152762?s=20

Seahawks passing game coordinator Sanjay Lal withdrew his name from consideration as Bears OC.   He coached with Canales.   Maybe there is something there?

Small nit, think he was being interviewed for a WR coach/PGC role given Waldron is the OC. I could see him coming here tho if Canales makes him OC - better “title” than he’d get with the Bears. 

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, catnip said:

Do we keep Tabor as special teams coach or do we let him go for someone else ?

Torn on this one.

On one hand, he's a good ST coach. On the other, he was absolutely involved in the tattling mentality the staff had.   

I also wonder about Campen.    I don't think he can be retained considering how poorly his unit performed even though he has a good reputation.   His line couldn't pick up blitzes or stunts.  That's coaching.  Even if it's with backups, and 3rd string guys.  They should at least know their assignments.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ironically enough, Carolina might be the more secure job spot atm.

Eberflus is definitely on the hot seat next year and if they suck he gets the axe and then everyone's jobs are in question.

Canales is getting at least 2 or 3 years to establish something here.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

32 minutes ago, catnip said:

Honestly, no. The "hunger games" culture of the last staff, rife with dissension and back channel conversations, should have been addressed with a full and complete teardown of the organization. They should not have promoted Dan Morgan and they should not retain any of the staff from last year. Despite Evero's success I can see animosity building because he feels he deserves the top job. He's getting a lot of attention elsewhere in the league for head coaching positions and he will get an opportunity eventually. 

Chris Tabor is obviously in Tepper's ear since he made it through the Rhule staff and onto the Reich staff. If Tabor survives three different coaching regimes, something is wrong. Same with James Campen. I get these are "good" coaches, but given the culture issues the team has had, you have to accept some growing pains for the sake of team chemistry and harmony. It would have made a lot more sense to keep them had they retained Wilks for the top job. 

Dave Canales has worked on a couple NFL team staffs and should have some connections to build his own staff. And he should have the autonomy to do that. But I doubt he does. And if they keep Evero or bring in another defensive coordinator, that coordinator should be allowed to build his own staff. But obviously Tepper is going to review every decision, and who knows what ends up happening. 

I just don't like the idea of keeping anyone who made it through the last 1-2 seasons considering how bad things had gotten in the building and I think they're making the same mistakes again. It's insanity. 

1 hour ago, catnip said:

good special teams coach. but from the way it's sounding a toxic presence in the organization. at the heart of most of the hunger games drama. 

give him the boot (if tepper will let you) and find someone else who isn't stirring and spreading poo all over.