• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

J person, Athletic. Canales has one job Fix Young

1 hour ago, bandu said:

yeah I  don't understand why successful originizations like the 49ers make a big trade up to #3 overall for QbTrey Lance for example & still make him earn the starting QB job in camp &then  know when it's time to cut their losses if he doesn't eventually show signs that he can be the starter one day  .then on the other hand you have a team like the Panthers who just continually trot a player out there week in & week out that clearly is not ready to be the starter nor the best option at QB...just saying 

It’s why the 9ers are sniffing the Super Bowl again and the panthers are in full on desperation mode. Two different franchises. One with a clear vision and execution the other well….you know. 

I expect by game six next year for the Brice Young era to be over in Charlotte. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, HardcoreHokie said:

Tyrod Taylor and Alex Smith could not be less comparable.  Not sure what you’ve been watching.  

Regardless, the point is you need a backup with UPSIDE…risk adverse is not the priority.  Andy Dalton is risk adverse but he won’t push Bryce in any way.  If Bryce doesn’t play well, we need someone to win games and push him at the same time without threatening him. 

You said the ideal vet for Bryce, which I interpreted as mentor. If that's not the case then understood.

With respect to Tyrod, dude is exactly the same player as Alex Smith down to the same allergy to touchdowns, which cost him the job in Buffalo. In terms of 'threat to Bryce' he is no different than Dalton, who I never mentioned but who is just as likely to win games as Tyrod.

Tyrod got 3 seasons as a starter. Dalton and Smith both had way more than that. Tyrod is defintely not above the Dalton line. Tyrod, Dalton... doesn't matter who is on the roster.

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You can't fix a noodle arm QB who can't scan the field because his Oline is towering over him.

The physical tools are lacking. Nothing we can do about that.

I'm already looking at the 2025 QB class. 

It’s really more mental problems than physical ones. He has a weakish arm but plenty of QBs have thrived with similar arms. And of course QBs with similar difficulties seeing over the line have thrived (and in one case been a top ten-ish all time QB). With Young it’s about decision making and processing speed (but but but the S2!!! Is garbage.)  After those two deficiencies his next biggest problem is accuracy. I’ve never seen a more inaccurate passer, whether under pressure or throwing from a clean pocket to a wide open receiver. After that would be arm strength. 

16 minutes ago, KSpan said:

You said the ideal vet for Bryce, which I interpreted as mentor. If that's not the case then understood.

With respect to Tyrod, dude is exactly the same player as Alex Smith down to the same allergy to touchdowns, which cost him the job in Buffalo. In terms of 'threat to Bryce' he is no different than Dalton, who I never mentioned but who is just as likely to win games as Tyrod.

Tyrod got 3 seasons as a starter. Dalton and Smith both had way more than that. Tyrod is defintely not above the Dalton line. Tyrod, Dalton... doesn't matter who is on the roster.

You changed this whole topic around, but that’s what we do on The Huddle I guess.

Gardner Minshew, Tyrod Taylor, and Jacoby Brissette are better starting QB’s than Bryce Young or Andy Dalton *RIGHT NOW*.

Bryce should start, but he needs a vet at #2 that will push him and also keep the fans happy (wins) if inserted into the lineup.

Not someone to threaten his career (Fields, rookie) but a vet to compete.

47 minutes ago, HardcoreHokie said:

Tyrod Taylor and Alex Smith could not be less comparable.  Not sure what you’ve been watching.  

Regardless, the point is you need a backup with UPSIDE…risk adverse is not the priority.  Andy Dalton is risk adverse but he won’t push Bryce in any way.  If Bryce doesn’t play well, we need someone to win games and push him at the same time without threatening him. 

Last season wasn’t about winning. It was about Bryce starting no matter what. Dalton looked better in the one game he played in one of the most hostile environments in the NFL, in the rain, and under tremendous pressure. It doesn’t need to be about upside. It needs to be about winning. Dalton should have been playing the first half of the season at minimum. Bryce wasn’t ready. Nothing wrong with that. But you have to be willing to acknowledge the truth about the situation and that’s not something Dave, Scott, and possibly Frank were willing to do. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Last season wasn’t about winning. It was about Bryce starting no matter what. Dalton looked better in the one game he played in one of the most hostile environments in the NFL, in the rain, and under tremendous pressure. It doesn’t need to be about upside. It needs to be about winning. Dalton should have been playing the first half of the season at minimum. Bryce wasn’t ready. Nothing wrong with that. But you have to be willing to acknowledge the truth about the situation and that’s not something Dave, Scott, and possibly Frank were willing to do. 

I agree with that, that’s why I say we need to have the best backup QB in the league with the most upside.

Tyrod, Minshew, a few others are just better than Dalton and still won’t threaten Bryce long-term - just push him.  

When Bryce needs to be benched, Bryce needs to be benched.  And we need to still have a chance to win the game.

38 minutes ago, HardcoreHokie said:

You changed this whole topic around, but that’s what we do on The Huddle I guess.

Gardner Minshew, Tyrod Taylor, and Jacoby Brissette are better starting QB’s than Bryce Young or Andy Dalton *RIGHT NOW*.

Bryce should start, but he needs a vet at #2 that will push him and also keep the fans happy (wins) if inserted into the lineup.

Not someone to threaten his career (Fields, rookie) but a vet to compete.

If I did, it was a misunderstanding from your original post. Agreed that Tyrod is generally a solid backup and agreed that all the guys you mention are about the same level. Tyrod was actually on my list of bridge QBs back in 2020 before Rhule and Tepper caught the dumb and threw silly money at Teddy.

• Beer 1

10 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It’s possible but I really doubt it.  If Bryce is the same or worse next year I’d expect the team to move on.  Real question is does this coach survive to see that happen?

I hope that Canales didn't make any promises other than, "I'll give it the old college try."

If Tepper fires Canales for not being able to fix Bryce, that would really be unfair to the HC and the fans. At least Canales would have a payday. Fans would have absolutely nothing instead of another wasted year of our lives.

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

I hope that Canales didn't make any promises other than, "I'll give it the old college try."

If Tepper fires Canales for not being able to fix Bryce, that would really be unfair to the HC and the fans. At least Canales would have a payday. Fans would have absolutely nothing instead of another wasted year of our lives.

The odds would favor it being another losing season for us. Whether it will be wasted will depend on how they improve the roster, if they even do.

The article is stupid--no head coach's job is to "fix" one player.  It does, however, suggest that they see the problem as coaching, and I agree.  The play calling was terrible and predictable.  The system was not one that would allow Bryce to prosper--so he did not prosper.  His WRs simply were not open--we heard that all season long--do not dismiss the importance of an open WR on QB development.  The OL made mental and technical mistakes all season long. 40% of the OL was injured and we had to play inexperienced developmental players there.  The QB was sacked 65 times or so, something I blame on the WRs as much as the OL.  TE?  We were below average.  So if we can give Bryce weapons, change the system, improve the OL.  Addition by subtraction.  Folks, we are signng some weapons this offseason.  (See Dolphins, Miami) Stay tuned.

Edited by MHS831

12 hours ago, 4Corners said:

It’s why the 9ers are sniffing the Super Bowl again and the panthers are in full on desperation mode. Two different franchises. One with a clear vision and execution the other well….you know. 

I expect by game six next year for the Brice Young era to be over in Charlotte. 

The York's have made plenty of terrible decisions and post-Harbaugh was pretty brutal. 4 seasons, 17-47 record, 3 coaches.  It doesn't make us any better, but just consider, it wasn't all peachy.     

Cycled through Tomsula and Kelly 2 years in a row after Harbaugh.  They brought in Shanahan, who wasn't considered this savior type hire.  Then proceeded to start his coaching career 10-22.  Just look at the stuff written and said about them after that second season.  People hated his dual role, stubbornness, made bad challenges, didn't have a good rhythm of calls run-pass early on either.    

Sometimes you just stumble into the right group of people that click.  Once they got guys like Deebo, Bosa, Greenlaw, and Shan called in his pal Forrester to help, they took a huge step forward.  He had the personnel and staff where his strengths were able to be flexed. 

But Lynch and Shanahan took big lumps early and many people weren't fans.  Unsavory trade ups in the draft (not just Lance).  Him and Lynch were reported to have a beef at the get-go, there were leaks coming out from the FO, it was a mess.  Solomon Thomas didn't pan out, Reuben Foster even moreso.  

Sometimes, they can just figure it out, but people acting like they had some magical button that was just hit aren't remembering correctly.  

Oh and then York had the whole insider trading fiasco as well.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

I would hate to accept a job knowing my first order of business that I am expected to do is fix someone who I did not pick and does unfortunately have some serious flaws with mechanics, size, strength, mental confidence and aggression to push the ball downfield. If Tepper fires new guy because he is unable to fix Bryce then that is some serious BS. I hope he can but i am not confident he can fix Bryce and he may need to find and draft his own guy.

• Poo 1

52 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

The York's have made plenty of terrible decisions and post-Harbaugh was pretty brutal. 4 seasons, 17-47 record, 3 coaches.  It doesn't make us any better, but just consider, it wasn't all peachy.     

Cycled through Tomsula and Kelly 2 years in a row after Harbaugh.  They brought in Shanahan, who wasn't considered this savior type hire.  Then proceeded to start his coaching career 10-22.  Just look at the stuff written and said about them after that second season.  People hated his dual role, stubbornness, made bad challenges, didn't have a good rhythm of calls run-pass early on either.    

Sometimes you just stumble into the right group of people that click.  Once they got guys like Deebo, Bosa, Greenlaw, and Shan called in his pal Forrester to help, they took a huge step forward.  He had the personnel and staff where his strengths were able to be flexed. 

But Lynch and Shanahan took big lumps early and many people weren't fans.  Unsavory trade ups in the draft (not just Lance).  Him and Lynch were reported to have a beef at the get-go, there were leaks coming out from the FO, it was a mess.  Solomon Thomas didn't pan out, Reuben Foster even moreso.  

Sometimes, they can just figure it out, but people acting like they had some magical button that was just hit aren't remembering correctly.  

Oh and then York had the whole insider trading fiasco as well.

I remember the rough patch between Harbaugh and Shanahan but I forgot it took Shanahan 3 seasons to get things going.  Now this year you have Dan Campbell getting it together in year 3.  Hopefully Tepper will be more patient with Canales than he was with Reich.