• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

J person, Athletic. Canales has one job Fix Young

excerpts below 

While Dave Canales lacks experience, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator had two things that helped him stand out in a field of 12 candidates: a history of resurrecting quarterbacks and close ties to new Panthers general manager Dan Morgan.
….

But the Panthers needed someone to get quarterback Bryce Young turned around, and it became increasingly clear they weren’t going to land Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson. Canales’ track record with struggling quarterbacks is encouraging. Geno Smith won the AP Comeback Player of the Year in 2022 when Canales was the Seahawks’ quarterbacks coach and the Bucs’ Baker Mayfield is a finalist for the award this year.

There’s a rich irony that the Panthers hired Canales in part for his work with Mayfield a year after they released him when interim coach Steve Wilks decided to play Sam Darnoldover Mayfield.

The Panthers stayed in touch with Young’s representatives throughout the search. A source close to Young and his representation said the No. 1 pick is optimistic about Canales and likes that he’s young with a strong track record with quarterbacks.

Smith and Mayfield had career years with Canales, with Mayfield throwing for 4,044 yards and 28 touchdowns in the regular season before leading Tampa Bay to a wild-card win over Philadelphia.

The Bucs’ offensive numbers overall weren’t stellar. They were last in the league in rushing, 23rd in total offense and 20th in scoring (20.5 ppg), but finished 17th in passing.

Tampa Bay managed just 228 yards and three field goals in a 9-0 win at Carolina in Week 18, when Morgan and Canales spent a few minutes catching up before the game at Bank of America Stadium. The Bucs’ offense fared better in Canales’ first meeting against Carolina and Evero, whom the Panthers hope to retain.

Evero interviewed for the head-coach opening in Atlanta and remains in the mix for the position in Seattle. But he’s under contract with the Panthers, who can block him from taking a lateral move.

Personnel executives and other officials around the league said they’ve heard good things about Canales but don’t know much about him because of his relative inexperience. As recently as 2020, Canales was helping out with the Seahawks’ tight ends as the team’s passing game coordinator. Former Panthers tight end Greg Olsen, who was in Seattle that year, recently posted on X that he “spent a lot of time talking ball and philosophy” with Canales.

If Canales is successful in putting Young on a path to success, Tepper will look like a genius for hiring him before anyone else was considering it. If Young fails to thrive in Canales’ system — which, like Thomas Brown’s, is an offshoot of Sean McVay’s — Tepper will be blasted for hiring one of Morgan’s buddies and pairing an inexperienced head coach with an inexperienced GM.

Essentially, Canales has one job. And no one in the organization can afford for him to screw it up.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You can't fix a noodle arm QB who can't scan the field because his Oline is towering over him.

The physical tools are lacking. Nothing we can do about that.

I'm already looking at the 2025 QB class. 

this hire says they are rolling with bryce for at least 2 more years

• Pie 1

It's a little bit off to say his 1 job is to fix Young. His 1 job is to win games. If that includes Young improving, then it's great. If it means cutting ties with Young and moving on, then that's great too. To say that is his 1 job, fix Young, well, might as well live out of a suitcase at the hotel like Dan Henning did back in the day, especially with Tepper's infamous trigger finger.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

this hire says they are rolling with bryce for at least 2 more years

It’s possible but I really doubt it.  If Bryce is the same or worse next year I’d expect the team to move on.  Real question is does this coach survive to see that happen?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

We have our 1st Rd pick in 2025.

If Bryce doesn't work next season we are likely moving on for another QB in 2025.

I mean I dont know what works out means.  If we win 6 games do we make a move?   5 games?   IMO it would have to be an absolute disaster (3 games or less) for tepper to see bryce aint it

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I mean I dont know what works out means.  If we win 6 games do we make a move?   5 games?   IMO it would have to be an absolute disaster (3 games or less) for tepper to see bryce aint it

6 games after this past season will seem great. I’d lock that in if I could.