• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official: Panthers hire Canales

Mr. Scot

WHAT THIS MEANS (my biased opinion):

What did they have in Seattle and Tampa Bay?

Seattle

• Tight End: Noah Fant, (averaged about 50 catches last 3 seasons)
  • Wide Receiver: Tyler Lockett (5 seasons averaging over 1000 yards, approx 80 catches;  DK Metcalf (4 seasons-through 2022-averaging about 1000 yards and 80 catches)

Tampa Bay

• Tight End: Cade Otton (47 receptions)
  • Wide Receiver: Mike Evans (1250 Yards, 79 receptions, 13 TDs, 16 yards per catch average); Chris Godwin 83 receptions, 1000 yards)

Carolina

• Tight End: Hayden Hurst and Tommy Tremble combined (41 catches)
  • Wide Receiver:  DJ Chark (525 yards, 35 catches); Adam Thielen (103 catches, 1000 yards)  Panthers had one arm tied behind their backs--Marshall continuing to suck, Chark being a dud--they had very little on the outside. 

Basically, Canales had 2 1000 yard WRs at Seattle and Tampa Bay.  Adam Thielen was an overachieving slot WR who benefited because he was smart and knew how to get open to bail out the QB.  When you have only 1 1000-yard WR, it means the defense does not have to stay honest.  Cover Thielen and let Chark/Mingo beat you.

Good News:  Mingo (quietly) showed signs of becoming a solid #2 WR.  He had 43 catches, but only about 450 yards.  If we add a #1 WR, we can be legitimate.   Moose Muhammad had 52 catches in his first 2 seasons (22 games).  Mingo is on that pace.

Good News:  Canales has not had great TEs.  Fant is good, Otton is average at best.  If we get a stud WR and a productive TE to go with Hurst and Tremble, I see the situation getting better.

Good News:  The "under center, play action" will keep defenses from pinning their ears back as much.  It also requires the QB to turn his back to the secondary and throw more on the move.  If Young's ability is between his ears, this offense might work for him.  Not sure.

If we build the OL (get healthy--BC, Zavala, and Corbett and get coached up Ekwonu, Mays, Jensen, Zavala, and maybe another draft pick in 2024, we could be closer than people think--if Young adapts to this offense and we get 2 weapons (WR, TE) it might turn around quickly.  And I do not pretend to know if Young is a bust or not--he probably is, but we need to try to save him.  I think we should sign a QB in free agency--I would love to see what he can do with Fields, and Davis Mills might be available. Sam Howell reminds me of Baker, to a degree.  So I would not put all my eggs in one basket, but I would not draft a QB this year.  They won't, fwiw.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 4

Who cares about a 6 year deal, what are you guys on about? If he sucks really bad halfway through he will get canned, we all know this.

Also, aside from Tepper’s firing spree, as it stands, no one in their right mind sees this trash team turning around in two years. The Panthers fielded one of the worst teams in NFL history and has an engrained losing culture, and no first round pick. 

To top it all off, if Young doesn’t work out, and all signs point to that being true, Canales really won’t even get started until year two maybe three when he has an opportunity to get his guy in place.

This is all part of the domino effect and repercussions of a poo run organization. Tepper made a complete mess of everything and dug a deep hole.

I personally don’t expect anything from this team next year, 5-6 wins will be a huge positive step as sad as that sounds.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

32 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

WHAT THIS MEANS (my biased opinion):

What did they have in Seattle and Tampa Bay?

Seattle

• Tight End: Noah Fant, (averaged about 50 catches last 3 seasons)
  • Wide Receiver: Tyler Lockett (5 seasons averaging over 1000 yards, approx 80 catches;  DK Metcalf (4 seasons-through 2022-averaging about 1000 yards and 80 catches)

Tampa Bay

• Tight End: Cade Otton (47 receptions)
  • Wide Receiver: Mike Evans (1250 Yards, 79 receptions, 13 TDs, 16 yards per catch average); Chris Godwin 83 receptions, 1000 yards)

Carolina

• Tight End: Hayden Hurst and Tommy Tremble combined (41 catches)
  • Wide Receiver:  DJ Chark (525 yards, 35 catches); Adam Thielen (103 catches, 1000 yards)  Panthers had one arm tied behind their backs--Marshall continuing to suck, Chark being a dud--they had very little on the outside. 

Basically, Canales had 2 1000 yard WRs at Seattle and Tampa Bay.  Adam Thielen was an overachieving slot WR who benefited because he was smart and knew how to get open to bail out the QB.  When you have only 1 1000-yard WR, it means the defense does not have to stay honest.  Cover Thielen and let Chark/Mingo beat you.

Good News:  Mingo (quietly) showed signs of becoming a solid #2 WR.  He had 43 catches, but only about 450 yards.  If we add a #1 WR, we can be legitimate.   Moose Muhammad had 52 catches in his first 2 seasons (22 games).  Mingo is on that pace.

Good News:  Canales has not had great TEs.  Fant is good, Otton is average at best.  If we get a stud WR and a productive TE to go with Hurst and Tremble, I see the situation getting better.

Good News:  The "under center, play action" will keep defenses from pinning their ears back as much.  It also requires the QB to turn his back to the secondary and throw more on the move.  If Young's ability is between his ears, this offense might work for him.  Not sure.

If we build the OL (get healthy--BC, Zavala, and Corbett and get coached up Ekwonu, Mays, Jensen, Zavala, and maybe another draft pick in 2024, we could be closer than people think--if Young adapts to this offense and we get 2 weapons (WR, TE) it might turn around quickly.  And I do not pretend to know if Young is a bust or not--he probably is, but we need to try to save him.  I think we should sign a QB in free agency--I would love to see what he can do with Fields, and Davis Mills might be available. Sam Howell reminds me of Baker, to a degree.  So I would not put all my eggs in one basket, but I would not draft a QB this year.  They won't, fwiw.

Fant is a FA. I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers took a swing at him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Let's see..........do any of you think that Young is that diamond in the ruff just waiting to be mentored into a SB champion?

and they hire this OC because in big part he's helped some QBs in the past?

but decided to hire him as HC?

Anyone see a problem with this? 

4 minutes ago, PghPanther said:

Let's see..........do any of you think that Young is that diamond in the ruff just waiting to be mentored into a SB champion?

and they hire this OC because in big part he's helped some QBs in the past?

but decided to hire him as HC?

Anyone see a problem with this? 

Rough*

Also, I don't think he was exclusively hired to "fix" Bryce. We wanted an offensive mind, Sportsology has a history of hiring young guns, and a 1-year OC isn't unprecedented; McDaniel was only an OC for 1 year in San Francisco before becoming the HC in Miami. So I think the problem you're seeing is one of your own fancy. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Rough*

Also, I don't think he was exclusively hired to "fix" Bryce. We wanted an offensive mind, Sportsology has a history of hiring young guns, and a 1-year OC isn't unprecedented; McDaniel was only an OC for 1 year in San Francisco before becoming the HC in Miami. So I think the problem you're seeing is one of your own fancy. 

Is this Tepper posting?

Another thing about this hire that I hate is the entire panthers organization is rotten to the core. This isn’t like Pittsburgh signing tomlin; they had a good structure in place for him to build with/grow/help support etc, to say nothing about the players on offense. 

the panthers hired a guy without a ton of connections. Assuming we hold on top evero, his offense is going to be all Seahawks and bucs people. We already know who the OC is going to be. 

This is to say nothing about the front office. 

I dunno man I think this is bad. He better be the fuging nfl version of Steve Kerr of personality and vibes