• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Evero

Martin

The big question is if Canales likes a 3-4? If not I don’t see Evero staying. Also, if it is likely a 1 year thing as his contract expires next year, who would take over and run said 3-4 if he leaves? They might also with great together for all I know, but since we are in a rebuild stage, do you continue with pieces for a defense that might not be here long?

Almost all our FAs are on the defensive side of the ball too (ones that matter) so locking in the DC should be priority.  No sense re-signing dudes if we are changing DCs and scheme because they might not fit one or the other, possibly both.

Here's the list:

image.png.ef7a9d0481ce6a6ddb82c40867480644.png

Ray and Thurman were offered new deals shortly after the season, so at least the DL has some depth.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, 0kBoomer said:

How often are we in base 3-4 with Evero? 

At this point football is more about personnel vs personnel match ups. 

This. I don’t even think about 3-4 vs 4-3 any more. At best you just think of it as what base front do you run? 3 DL vs 4 DL. Everything else in the back 7-8 varies after that

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, MtnJax said:

This. I don’t even think about 3-4 vs 4-3 any more. At best you just think of it as what base front do you run? 3 DL vs 4 DL. Everything else in the back 7-8 varies after that

Very fair. In my mind I was thinking of how you build the front 4 vs a front 3 with OLBs.  Very different type of players depending on what you do.

24 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Can we give him a raise to stay as DC?

Losing him would absolutely hurt. He's the only proven bright spot on the coaching staff. Give the man a raise and let's keep building this defense please.

He's making 3M per year, he's already one of the highest paid DCs in the NFL.

9 minutes ago, Tbe said:

He was passed over for the HC job so I expect him to go.

He was passed over last year and became the DC with a nice contract.  Wouldn't see him going unless someone made him THE highest paid DC in the NFL.  More likely just to stay and build on last year.

17 minutes ago, Steelo said:

He's making 3M per year, he's already one of the highest paid DCs in the NFL.

He was passed over last year and became the DC with a nice contract.  Wouldn't see him going unless someone made him THE highest paid DC in the NFL.  More likely just to stay and build on last year.

I don’t know why we wouldn’t keep him another year. Canales isn’t a D guy and if we keep Evero and he does well we could get 2 3rds if he gets hired as a HC. It’s one thing to let Brown walk because Canales wants his OC to implement his offense. On the D side he likely doesn’t have a preference and Evero did fine this year. F other teams as a DC, why would we not keep him and then get the benefit if he does get a HC position. 

• Pie 5

In the MMQB, Breer speculates that Evero could force his way out to go to the Rams or Packers because he is friends with the coach and they are better teams.  

I think it's nonsensical.  Evero's HC candidacy hasn't taken a hit at all; he's still gotten multiple interviews. 

If Canales wants him, I think he stays.   And I'm ok with Carolina forcing the contract unless they think he will be disruptive (which is doubtful because he is very professional).   There is a lot at stake with him being DC.  He's a top guy that won't be able to be replaced , especially this late.   They also would be sacrificing the (2) third round comp picks for when/if he gets hired as a HC. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

In the MMQB, Breer speculates that Evero could force his way out to go to the Rams or Packers because he is friends with the coach and they are better teams.  

I think it's nonsensical.  Evero's HC candidacy hasn't taken a hit at all; he's still gotten multiple interviews. 

If Canales wants him, I think he stays.   And I'm ok with Carolina forcing the contract unless they think he will be disruptive (which is doubtful because he is very professional).   There is a lot at stake with him being DC.  He's a top guy that won't be able to be replaced , especially this late.   They also would be sacrificing the (2) third round comp picks for when/if he gets hired as a HC. 

I would agree he stays if he and Canales talk and agree they can work together.

If not though, does Tepper really need another "sh-tty boss to work for" strike against him?

Hell, why would Canales want him if he doesn't want to be here?

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I would agree he stays if he and Canales talk and agree they can work together.

If not though, does Tepper really need another "sh-tty boss to work for" strike against him?

Hell, why would Canales want him if he doesn't want to be here?

I think it just depends.  There is going to be some nuance to the discussions.   Maybe he feels he would be more successful in GB/LA (and is likely right) but won't force the issue.  

If that's the case, I'm keeping him.   

But yes, if he absolutely doesn't want to be here, let him go (or try to trade for minimal compensation to offset your future loss)