• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Evero

Martin

7 minutes ago, NAS said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Evero's defense is just fine as long as he fits into Canales' vision for the type of culture he wants to instill

Canales spoke glowingly of him in a pregame presser. I know most coaches give respect but he was like enthusiastically talking about him. Definitely at this point in the cycle it would be wise to keep him

• Pie 2

There's no way I let him go assuming Canales is on board with keeping him, and I think he is. I'm sorry but you signed a 2 year contract and will be getting 3M to coach here next season, you're fine. Best thing for the team as well to get the two 3rd round comp picks next year as well. 

If Canales wants him, he stays. He is under contract. Force his way out? How, by throwing a temper tantrum? He is well payed and his defense has played well considering the injuries and a sucky offense. I don't think this will be an issue once he and Canales sit down and talk (if they haven't already). 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Almost all our FAs are on the defensive side of the ball too (ones that matter) so locking in the DC should be priority.  No sense re-signing dudes if we are changing DCs and scheme because they might not fit one or the other, possibly both.

Here's the list:

image.png.ef7a9d0481ce6a6ddb82c40867480644.png

Ray and Thurman were offered new deals shortly after the season, so at least the DL has some depth.

IMO I'd sign Frankie Luvu (He's a hype man)(multi-year contract), pair him back up with Kamu Grugier-Hill (depth) cap-friendly, Derrick Brown (extension), Yetur Gross-Matos (depth) cap-friendly, Jeremy Chinn (short-term/prove it deal cap-friendly) great when not injured and (line him up as a rover linebacker/moneybacker, Donte Jackson (short term/cap friendly), sign Brian Burns as a non-exclusive franchise tag player (so other teams can make offers, if panthers don't match, and he signs with another team panthers is entitled to (2) first-round picks as compensation!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Steelo said:

He's making 3M per year, he's already one of the highest paid DCs in the NFL.

He was passed over last year and became the DC with a nice contract.  Wouldn't see him going unless someone made him THE highest paid DC in the NFL.  More likely just to stay and build on last year.

It has to be an upward movement.  He can't interview for a DC job with another team unless we give him permission.

Canales should keep him.  This allows him to focus on what he knows best and that's offense.  He can let Evero run the defense and take a big burden off his shoulders.

Plus keeping him for 2 seasons gives us 2 third round picks if he is signed away as a head coach.  That would definitely help with the 2025 draft. 

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, MtnJax said:

This. I don’t even think about 3-4 vs 4-3 any more. At best you just think of it as what base front do you run? 3 DL vs 4 DL. Everything else in the back 7-8 varies after that

They could also convert 4-2-5 defense, but I never see that happening because they don't have the personnel to play that defense,lol

I'm still in the camp of wanting the entire staff gone from last season.  I want a 100% rebuild.  We don't get it because of what the last brain trust did with our picks but that is out of our control.  What is in our control....is letting the new HC bring in a 100% new staff. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

in addition, if you are playing the odds....got to think if we go the Ejiro path in 2024 that it has high odds of being the end of the line for one reason or another.  So what the point of a rebuilding team in 2024 going down the path where they start over on D in 2025. 

new HC should bring in his own guys.  Everyone on staff needs to see the door from last year.  Let the new HC who is known for having a good individual culture to him focus on bringing in guys he wants and not "influenced" by the owner and just taking leftovers from a year we all would like to forget. 

• Pie 2

Yea, I dont love Evero's scheme personally but it works, especially when you dont have an overall talented roster to work with.  Our defensive talent overall last year was bad, especially considering injuries.  If Canales wants him here, he will be here this upcoming season at least.

• Pie 1

If Evero was lukewarm on returning, could he be traded? I don't know if I've ever heard of a coordinator being traded, but he is under contract and there seems to be a healthy market for his services.

While I'd rather keep him around and see what the defense looks like in year two with players that are a better fit for his scheme, I'd also entertain trading Evero for a 3rd.

• Pie 2