• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any idea of what Young is doing in the offseason to improve?

Jmac

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I really cannot understand what the plan was when they drafted him. His size added so many challenges to a rookies development as it was. 

His throwing velocity was only a couple mph lower than Stroud's, but you cannottell it.

His deep throw was about 7-10 yards less than Stroud's.  I think 55 compared to about 65 air yards, but it looks much worse. 

His mechanics, or throwing motion was all over the place, but he was the most pro ready, supposedly.

Not to mention the size difference. It's like his off script plays out weighed everything else. 

Whatever they were thinking it certainly didn't work out.

I think there really is something to the idea of a fast-processing QB, but they were foolish if they thought he could just step right into the NFL and have success without improving his mechanics and footwork.

I thought that was the whole reason we hired a supposed "QB guru" with 200 years of experience like Frank Reich, but it doesn't appear that they even really bothered to improve these things. 

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, SOJA said:

Once we get aside all the grow 6 inches and add 60 lbs of muscle jokes I think he needs to work on his footwork. It was getting very sloppy towards the end of the year, likely because he was so used to taking hits 

I agree, he needs to work on footwork big time

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, thebdawg said:

Does making fun of a 22 year old kid make you feel better 

He's sitting on a contract worth just shy of 38 million dollars and he just finished the season statistically one of the worst rookie QB's in history. He's doing alright all things considered.

But I'm sure he would be relieved to know thebdawg online persona is here to defend his honor. What a crusader of justice.

13 hours ago, SOJA said:

Once we get aside all the grow 6 inches and add 60 lbs of muscle jokes I think he needs to work on his footwork. It was getting very sloppy towards the end of the year, likely because he was so used to taking hits 

His footwork has always been non-existent, going back to his Alabama days. He doesn't or doesn't know how to do standard drops, so I don't know how his footwork could have gotten "sloppy" when he had had none to begin with.

• Pie 1

On 1/30/2024 at 1:01 PM, CRA said:

dude needs to hit the cafeteria and the weight room

maybe go to some weird part of the world and find some voodoo spell to grow a couple inches. 

In reality, I think Young could do a great job if his physical tools were better.  He ain't dumb.  Most is up to the coaches and players around him IMO.  That's what it's going to take for Bryce to look good. 

Adding 10 pounds of muscle to his frame with the access he has to training and nutrition isn't asking for a lot.  

7 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I really cannot understand what the plan was when they drafted him. His size added so many challenges to a rookies development as it was. 

His throwing velocity was only a couple mph lower than Stroud's, but you cannottell it.

His deep throw was about 7-10 yards less than Stroud's.  I think 55 compared to about 65 air yards, but it looks much worse. 

His mechanics, or throwing motion was all over the place, but he was the most pro ready, supposedly.

Not to mention the size difference. It's like his off script plays out weighed everything else. 

Whatever they were thinking it certainly didn't work out.

Stroud's longest throw (without pads) at the combine was around 67 yards. Since the release point was between the hashes and the ball landed near the sideline, the actual air distance travelled by the ball was around 71 or 72 yards. Moreover, the throw was very accurate and was made without visible difficulty (he simply planted his feet and just slung it), so who knows how far Stroud could really throw if he didn't have to aim for a receiver whom he had never worked with prior to the combine.

Now compare that to Bryce's performance at the combine. Oh wait, never mind... Judging from game day footage, Bryce is capable of throwing the ball around 55 yards, max. You can forget about accuracy at that distance though, because Bryce has to heave his entire body (with both feet actually leaving the ground) in order to throw it that far.

So yeah, we passed on Stroud for him. Not great, Bob! Not great. 

7 minutes ago, GhostOfDocAnderson said:

Stroud's longest throw (without pads) at the combine was around 67 yards. Since the release point was between the hashes and the ball landed near the sideline, the actual air distance travelled by the ball was around 71 or 72 yards. Moreover, the throw was very accurate and was made without visible difficulty (he simply planted his feet and just slung it), so who knows how far Stroud could really throw if he didn't have to aim for a receiver whom he had never worked with prior to the combine.

Now compare that to Bryce's performance at the combine. Oh wait, never mind... Judging from game day footage, Bryce is capable of throwing the ball around 55 yards, max. You can forget about accuracy at that distance though, because Bryce has to heave his entire body (with both feet actually leaving the ground) in order to throw it that far.

So yeah, we passed on Stroud for him. Not great, Bob! Not great. 

Not disagreeing with you, but I'm pretty sure Jamarcus Russell wowed people with throws even longer than Stroud's...but was apparently throwing from his knees. 

2 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Not disagreeing with you, but I'm pretty sure Jamarcus Russell wowed people with throws even longer than Stroud's...but was apparently throwing from his knees. 

Bruh, did you miss the part where I said Stroud was making 60+ yard throws accurately when Bryce was maxing out at 55 yards with putrid accuracy? My observation is that not only Stroud can throw further than Bryce, but also he can make those throws accurately and make them look easy.