• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any idea of what Young is doing in the offseason to improve?

Jmac

Once we get aside all the grow 6 inches and add 60 lbs of muscle jokes I think he needs to work on his footwork. It was getting very sloppy towards the end of the year, likely because he was so used to taking hits 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

First off-He simply needs to unrattle himself.  Get comfortable in the mud.  If you're going to play non-traditional back there when you drop, then get used to the discomfort in an NFL muddy pocket.

Most importantly- He needs to get disciplined in the pocket.  And he can figure that out however he wants to.  I've accepted he has his own dropback, the Jim Furyk-swing of dropbacks.  I just don't see him changing to have a more by-the-book technique.  Whatever he does though, his drops need to be in sync with the playbook and he needs to consistently plant and get it properly timed with routes.  

He becomes his best self out of structure, on the move.  But he still needs to be a better version of himself in the pocket.  

To that point--the timing being off and the velocity lost on throws are the two biggest issues that come from his pocket problems.  It's a rookie curve you'll see from time to time, they aren't adding the layer of nuance to match their drop to the timing of their primary.     

So I hope he figures that out and doesn't look like a mini-Josh Rosen again.  At least give us rookie Tua.  People compare them, but rookie Tua had a 1.0 yard better YPA, 64% completions, 47.7% success rate, adjusted 17 game stats would've been 3,000+ yards, 18 pass TDs, 8 INTs.  Bryce just had a 59%, 36.5% success rate..we know the rest.  His YPA can only go up as it was top-3 lowest all time for a season long starting QB.  

In short-I would love for him to show enough where we don't have this "It's all the OL/It's all the WRs" banter because it all looks so bad.  Time to step this sh*t up.

• Pie 1

I'm sure Canales - as a former QB coach - will have a plan for what Bryce needs to be working on. And even his biggest detractors can't accuse Bryce of being lazy so I'm sure he'll attack it head-on.

That alone should lead to some significant improvement.

The footwork thing has always baffled me. How can we have two supposed QB "gurus" on staff and they didn't even bother to address Bryce's footwork?

31 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I'm sure Canales - as a former QB coach - will have a plan for what Bryce needs to be working on. And even his biggest detractors can't accuse Bryce of being lazy so I'm sure he'll attack it head-on.

That alone should lead to some significant improvement.

The footwork thing has always baffled me. How can we have two supposed QB "gurus" on staff and they didn't even bother to address Bryce's footwork?

I don't' think footwork is viewed the same today as it was long ago.   Well, not how it has been talked about by fans for decades.  

I mean, do the best QBs in the game today have good traditional footwork?  I would say they don't.  So I'm not sure we missed something.   Issue for Bryce is he doesn't have the physical gifts that do and he needs ideal footwork and mechanics to have a chance to get the ball where it needs to get.  That what I don't' think the Panthers understood....that his size and arm are an issue.  And it's a hard ask to expect him to be so elite that that can easily just deal with his physical shortcomings at this level. 

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, 0kBoomer said:

Our new OC Brad Idzik hasn’t ever called plays. You talking about our HC? Maybe you should watch a little more….

You got me there, I was watching the new HC as OC. 

Those play calls though. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I don't' think footwork is viewed the same today as it was long ago.   Well, not how it has been talked about by fans for decades.  

I mean, do the best QBs in the game today have good traditional footwork?  I would say they don't.  So I'm not sure we missed something.   Issue for Bryce is he doesn't have the physical gifts that do and he needs ideal footwork and mechanics to have a chance to get the ball where it needs to get.  That what I don't' think the Panthers understood....that his size and arm are an issue.  And it's a hard ask to expect him to be so elite that that can easily just deal with his physical shortcomings at this level. 

If that's the case it's absolutely something you'd expect your veteran experienced head coach and former NFL QB to understand and address.

You can't coach physical attributes, but you can and should be coaching footwork and mechanics whether your QB is built like a Greek god or not.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I really cannot understand what the plan was when they drafted him. His size added so many challenges to a rookies development as it was. 

His throwing velocity was only a couple mph lower than Stroud's, but you cannottell it.

His deep throw was about 7-10 yards less than Stroud's.  I think 55 compared to about 65 air yards, but it looks much worse. 

His mechanics, or throwing motion was all over the place, but he was the most pro ready, supposedly.

Not to mention the size difference. It's like his off script plays out weighed everything else. 

Whatever they were thinking it certainly didn't work out.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

51 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

If that's the case it's absolutely something you'd expect your veteran experienced head coach and former NFL QB to understand and address.

You can't coach physical attributes, but you can and should be coaching footwork and mechanics whether your QB is built like a Greek god or not.

well, I think Frank and McCown likely understood.   Hence the rumored split in house over who they should take at QB.   I think Bryce Young was GM /owner driven.  

but I mean, his size is just an issue I think.  You could teach Bryce proper footwork and mechanics for an ideal ball coming out.....and where he would be in the pocket would likely cause some issues for him. 

• Pie 1