• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young’s Arm Strength

0kBoomer

Just now, CRA said:

Bryce Young is bottom 5 in terms of arm talent/strength in terms of NFL starters. 

I watched all the panthers games and couple prime time ones. Young was the clear weakest throwing QB out of all of them. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Navy_football said:

I could start with NE, but I think that's irrelevant. The point being made is that he doesn't have an NFL arm. If every other QB in the NFL has an "NFL arm", then even if he's at the bottom (like dead last), he still has an NFL caliber arm. He can make every throw needed. Every single one. That's NFL caliber. Some folk are dying on that "he can't make NFL throws" hill, and that's just not true. It isn't. My man definitely has issues. But arm strength ain't one of them.

all 32 starters in the NFL can't make the same throws in reality.  Throws that exist for QB A might not for QB B.  

Bryce definitely falls in the camp that isn't going to be able to make all the throws top tier QBs in today's NFL have on the table. 

• Poo 1

3 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

I could start with NE, but I think that's irrelevant. The point being made is that he doesn't have an NFL arm. If every other QB in the NFL has an "NFL arm", then even if he's at the bottom (like dead last), he still has an NFL caliber arm. He can make every throw needed. Every single one. That's NFL caliber. Some folk are dying on that "he can't make NFL throws" hill, and that's just not true. It isn't. My man definitely has issues. But arm strength ain't one of them.

I didnt watch NE this year, dont know the QB for the game in question. I did watch all panthers and couple prime time games, young was the clear weakest. 2nd was minshew. 

I dont know if he can make all NFL throws in a timely matter. His ball seems to float at a higher rate, the timing is a big question for me given the lack of force. 

5 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I didnt watch NE this year, dont know the QB for the game in question. I did watch all panthers and couple prime time games, young was the clear weakest. 2nd was minshew. 

I dont know if he can make all NFL throws in a timely matter. His ball seems to float at a higher rate, the timing is a big question for me given the lack of force. 

in terms of that bottom 5 area, it's largely a mix of guys that happened to start this year.  They aren't actually the plan for those teams.  Replacements, band aid types etc. 

Generally, teams are drafting and attempting to build around dudes with elite tools.  So you take a Trevor Lawerence who actually is hovering in that 15ish area Bryce defenders are claiming he occupies.....his physical tools blow the doors off Bryce. 

4 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Mac Jones is the only other starting QB I'd even consider putting in the "Bryce tier" of arm strength and I still think that's probably unfair to Jones. His arm is definitely subpar but I still think it's better than Bryce's.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Mac Jones is the only other starting QB I'd even consider putting in the "Bryce tier" of arm strength and I still think that's probably unfair to Jones. His arm is definitely subpar but I still think it's better than Bryce's.

the Bama boys could probably all start a club. 

Hurts is OU.  Bama can't claim him in this convo because he couldn't pass until he got to OU. 

There were plenty of throws with no zip that defenders broke on because the ball floated to the target and it was very obvious secondary’s were not the least bit threatened by deep routes and it made playing D against Carolina easy.  

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I believe Jones beats young easy. Zappe, that I dont know and feel it would be tooo close call for either. 

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

all 32 starters in the NFL can't make the same throws in reality.  Throws that exist for QB A might not for QB B.  

Bryce definitely falls in the camp that isn't going to be able to make all the throws top tier QBs in today's NFL have on the table. 

The Ringer did a dynamic ranking system this past year for the 32 starters w/a bunch of different metrics. 

Bryce was ahead of 10 in arm talent (#22): Purdy, Rudolph, Stidham, Minshew, O'Connell, Browning, Heinicke, Devito, Mullens, & Zappe.

Only one of those guys was the undisputed "starter" going into the season, being Purdy.   

Other notables for Bryce:

32nd in YPA

31st in EPA/PLAY (Which is good at measuring clean pocket work)

31st in success rate

23rd in Comp % Over Expected

His arm is only OK, so he may not be able to replicate what he did out of structure against college competition.

https://nflrankings.theringer.com/qb-rankings

25 minutes ago, Solaris said:

Most of those guys get that separation while commanding the attention of the defense. Meanwhile you can stick a warm body on our non-Thielen receivers and they're taken out of the play.

sigh.

DeVonta Smith, #2 to AJ Brown, 2.8 Sep, caught 81 balls for 1066 yards.

Gabe Davis, #2 to Stefon Diggs, 2.8 Sep, caught 45 balls for 746 yards.

Rashid Shaheed, #2 to Chris Olave, 2.8 Sep, caught 46 balls for 719 yards.

Jordan Addison, #2 to Justin Jefferson, 2.8 Sep, caught 70 balls for 911 yards.

But seriously, why does it matter how they got the separation they got?  Oh, right, it doesn't.  These guys were NFL open.  Our guys were NFL open.  Put the ball on them.  If we subsequently lead the league in drops, ok, fine we can clearly see where the problem is.

Man, can we face reality please?  It's one thing to hope for the best, but we have to do it while staring at reality.  I hope Bryce makes a miraculous turnaround.  I hope he becomes a franchise QB.  I promise, I want him to succeed.

What I can't stand is seeing the continuous string of excuses that the copium and hopium peddlers keep trying to sell.  What I can't stand is the idea that a potentially good coach gets hamstrung by the dead weight of a QB who can't do the things the NFL demands.  What I can't stand is the thought of another wasted season with no backup plan.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

I watched all the panthers games and couple prime time ones. Young was the clear weakest throwing QB out of all of them. 

Even Flacco off the couch at almost 40 years old had a noticeably stronger arm in the Browns game I watched. I need the list of the 4-5 starters with weaker arms that some people are claiming he’s above

• Flames 1

28 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

The Ringer did a dynamic ranking system this past year for the 32 starters w/a bunch of different metrics. 

Bryce was ahead of 10 in arm talent (#22): Purdy, Rudolph, Stidham, Minshew, O'Connell, Browning, Heinicke, Devito, Mullens, & Zappe.

Only one of those guys was the undisputed "starter" going into the season, being Purdy.   

Other notables for Bryce:

32nd in YPA

31st in EPA/PLAY (Which is good at measuring clean pocket work)

31st in success rate

23rd in Comp % Over Expected

https://nflrankings.theringer.com/qb-rankings

Yep, all the comparables aren’t guys any team ever planned to build around.  They were shots in the dark or depth that sometimes find their way into the starting lineup briefly.  Purdy obviously looking to be the anomaly in the best situation in the NFL. 

I mean I don’t expect it to be public and said, but if Dan Morgan and company aren’t already acknowledging that this was most likely an error and prepping soon for that…..then we don’t have the right guy.  

• Pie 1