• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wow, Steve Wilks just released in SF

jb2288

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not Wilks' biggest fan but the dude got scapegoated. That D allowed 19 points in regulation to an offense led by Patrick Mahomes and ran by Andy Reid. The offensive wunderkind could t put up enough points. If you'd told him before the game their D would only give up 19 points and force two turnovers he would've very confidently told you what champagne he wanted for the post-game toast.

That offense led by Mahomes and Andy Reid was pretty middle-of-the-road this year.  They were 15th in points scored on the season, at 21.8 PPG.  So the 49ers, with all their talent, allowed less than a FG below the Chiefs' average.  I get that Mahomes is the GOAT and all, but this year the Chiefs thrived on the back of their #2 ranked defense.  So saying a team held Mahomes to 19 points sounds much more impressive on paper than it is in reality.  They scored 19 or less points in just about half of their games in the regular season (8 out of 17).

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, onmyown said:

I doubt he was fired just for the superbowl, the Lion game defensive plan was putrid. Wilks is just too predictable and considering the talent the 49ers have on defense should’ve done much better. I do think he’s a good coach and would even take him at DC. But he’s predictable, won’t adjust, awful blitz scheming/predictability and he won’t be winning against modern teams that adjust well.

His D just put up the 8th best DVOA since 1981.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

That offense led by Mahomes and Andy Reid was pretty middle-of-the-road this year.  They were 15th in points scored on the season, at 21.8 PPG.  So the 49ers, with all their talent, allowed less than a FG below the Chiefs' average.  I get that Mahomes is the GOAT and all, but this year the Chiefs thrived on the back of their #2 ranked defense.  So saying a team held Mahomes to 19 points sounds much more impressive on paper than it is in reality.  They scored 19 or less points in just about half of their games in the regular season (8 out of 17).

Now do the Niners offense...

Let's be real, if all we knew before the game is that the Niners would hold the Chiefs to 19 points and force two turnovers EVERYBODY would've said the Niners won.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Playoff Mahomes ain't regular season Mahomes

and I think sometimes you have to look into the # of offensive possessions.   They scored 27 vs the Bills on 9 drives (and that includes a kneel down drive).   Through 9 drives vs the 49ers they scored 6 points.  I mean, eventually, if Mahomes/Reid get enough shots.....points will come. 

• Pie 3

28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not Wilks' biggest fan but the dude got scapegoated. That D allowed 19 points in regulation to an offense led by Patrick Mahomes and ran by Andy Reid. The offensive wunderkind could t put up enough points. If you'd told him before the game their D would only give up 19 points and force two turnovers he would've very confidently told you what champagne he wanted for the post-game toast.

Thats if you believe he was fired entirely for the super bowl.

1 minute ago, MasterAwesome said:

Why?  I'm just saying that holding Mahomes to 19 points in regulation is not exactly the monumental feat it used to be.  That was basically their season average 😂

Because Shanny is supposed to be some type of offensive genius and his offensive underperformed while the D actually over performed. I bet if you look at the per possession numbers the D actually wildly over performed.

• Pie 2

I think a better coach and leader than Shanahan could make it work with an accomplished coach like Wilks. I see firing him after one season as a sign of weakness. yes he's a great offensive mind, but maybe he's not all that as a HC.

if Wilks was good enough to hire after righting the Panthers ship, then he's good enough to retain after a year that saw SF finish 4th in total defense and stifle KC in the first half of the Super Bowl.

I think Shanahan just didn't trust Wilks. with an offensive-minded head coach, Wilks had total purview over the defense. and yet here we are in the Super Bowl and Shanahan is calling time out because he doesn't like a play call that Wilks is making. literally his job. just a bad sign all around, to me.

raw deal is exactly what Wilks got.

1 minute ago, Tr3ach said:

Thats if you believe he was fired entirely for the super bowl.

8th best DVOA since 1981. Just saying.

Shanny needed a scapegoat. Can't be having the narrative be that his play calling abandoning the run blew another double digit lead in the SB.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2