• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wow, Steve Wilks just released in SF

jb2288

1 minute ago, Coheed said:

I think the logic is that if both teams score a TD and it goes to sudden death, you get the ball first in sudden death, which I get the logic of. Everyone’s just blasting it cause it didn’t work. 

the bigger mistake was not running the ball/going for a FG in their last drive before OT. They threw, it was incomplete and kept them out of FG range 

It's basically the same as in college. When both teams are guaranteed a possession there's a HUGE advantage in knowing what you need. If you force a stop you know you only need a FG to win. If they score a TD you know you HAVE to have a TD. 

You don’t do that if you were happy with him otherwise. Maybe they were done win or lose.  

Who knows? May have been some disagreement over the particular game or it could have been a disagreement about something regarding moving forward. 

I didn’t see any blatant reason why that loss goes on the defense. It was a team loss in most aspects, I’d say. So I mean, fired because of that game? If anything it was ‘the straw....’. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

Wilks showed he will revert back to 90s defense despite going up against a Mahomes/Reid led team…you absolutely can not do that

In fairness, his defense held mahomes and Reid in check to the tune of 19 points in regulation with 7 coming off a turnover in their own red zone.  If you said the 9ers would hold kc to 19 points in regulation, I promise every single fan and coach would have predicted that they win.

2 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Yeah that's where I was pulling my data, hence the snippet I included directly from that site.  So the 49ers were 1st in Offense DVOA and 4th in Defense DVOA, which would suggest their offense was overperforming at a higher rate than the defense.

Gotcha, I see what you're saying.

That just makes their offensive performance in the SB even more disappointing IMO.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, I don't think it is controversial to call him better in the postseason vs regular season.  He is better essentially across the board statistically in the postseason...and that generally is vs tougher defenses 

There's 35 quarterbacks in NFL history with at least 10 playoff starts. Mahomes is the only one to improve his numbers from the regular season to the playoffs in each of these five categories: win percentage, completion percentage, touchdown percentage, interception percentage and rush yards per game. 

and then if you deep dive into his playoffs stats....he has some freaky stuff in there. 

Mahomes is 7-for-7 converting playoff drives with under a minute left in regulation and trailing by seven or fewer points. He is the only perfect player in those situations since 2001. Meanwhile, Tom Brady is 5-for-11 (46%) and the league average is 40% in that span.

He's 5-2 in the playoffs down 10+ points (rest of NFL is 8-55 since 2018) 

Patrick Mahomes the best closer since Jordan, the comeback king like Brady and more mind-blowing playoff stats - CBSSports.com

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree that the stat difference equates to "a whole different level":

image.png.578662087b11d8e207ab625a9a31c00c.png

Win percentage is an odd stat to include because it's not an individual stat.  So the only stat I'd personally chalk up to being pretty significant is the Int %.  Everything else you posted is in reference to how clutch he is, which is what I already gave him props for in the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree that the stat difference equates to "a whole different level":

image.png.578662087b11d8e207ab625a9a31c00c.png

Win percentage is an odd stat to include because it's not an individual stat.  So the only stat I'd personally chalk up to being pretty significant is the Int %.  Everything else you posted is in reference to how clutch he is, which is what I already gave him props for in the playoffs.

I mean, he across the board has been better in the postseason.  Every year.  Every year.  I mean, you seem to think there needs to be a HUGE jump in order to say it.  He is too good in the regular season for a good jump on paper to exist. 

I mean, especially the deeper dive ones and situational ones......show Mahomes is almost uniquely unstoppable to date in the playoffs.   He ain't the same dude.  I mean, he uniquely stands alone in what he does in the playoffs.  Just a human nightmare to go up against in the playoffs. 

that loss was the O.   For that reason alone.  Just flat out silly to think Wilks should of done more and that it wasn't on the O blowing that game.  They lost it in the 3rd q.  The 49ers O. 

46 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

What about him going prevent and then Shanahan calling a time out to stop that crap?

Shanahan called timeout because they were in press cover 0 with a blitz dialed up. He in fact wanted to do something else. Romo called it out on the broadcast. 

27 minutes ago, Coheed said:

I think the logic is that if both teams score a TD and it goes to sudden death, you get the ball first in sudden death, which I get the logic of. Everyone’s just blasting it cause it didn’t work. 

the bigger mistake was not running the ball/going for a FG in their last drive before OT. They threw, it was incomplete and kept them out of FG range 

Romo claimed he may have needed to rest his defense and let them regroup.  Regardless it was a questionable call....