• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The CAP is now $255.4 MILLION….. now pay Burns, Brown, Luvu and let’s get this ship righted

TheBigKat

Here is what I would do......

Tag and trade Burns.  You could easily get a first round pick for him.  Likely an additional 2nd and/or 3rd.  I'd aim at the second for next year to replace our capital.

Before I execute the trade I am looking at getting a gauge if I can sign Bryce Huff, AJ Espinosa, and YGM.  If I can accomplish that, I have created depth, and replaced the production from last year and created cap flexibility.  All of this could be done prior to the legal tampering period.  By doing this we could also re-sign Frankie, extend DB, and have a late round first and the first pick of the second round.  We could even theoretically trade back into the bottom or the first round if we see a prospect worthy of a potential 5th year option.  Burns alone doesn't make up for the depth created by adding 3 players for the price of one.

If we get a mid to late 1st for Burns we have better options at WR, CB, and EDGE which are our three biggest weaknesses.  OL help can be found in the 3rd-5th round and via free agency.  I'd also be looking hard at Jenkins JR and Sweat at NT.

• Beer 1

18 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I am expecting to see one or two of the following moves:

Tag and trade Burns.  In a contract year, he was not great.  Is he a one-trick pony?  A luxury for a ring chasing team.

Trade Theilen.  Hard sell because the draft is so loaded, but there are teams who could use a third WR who can grab 100 balls.

Pay Brown top DT money.  He is versatile, great, and he never leaves the field.  Worth 1.5 salaries.

Luvu gets a raise -he is a good  LB-- but he is not great. 

It'd be such a Panthers move to trade the one guy in the locker room who actually seemed to give $hit. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, BeenPounding said:

Here is what I would do......

Tag and trade Burns.  You could easily get a first round pick for him.  Likely an additional 2nd and/or 3rd.  I'd aim at the second for next year to replace our capital.

Before I execute the trade I am looking at getting a gauge if I can sign Bryce Huff, AJ Espinosa, and YGM.  If I can accomplish that, I have created depth, and replaced the production from last year and created cap flexibility.  All of this could be done prior to the legal tampering period.  By doing this we could also re-sign Frankie, extend DB, and have a late round first and the first pick of the second round.  We could even theoretically trade back into the bottom or the first round if we see a prospect worthy of a potential 5th year option.  Burns alone doesn't make up for the depth created by adding 3 players for the price of one.

If we get a mid to late 1st for Burns we have better options at WR, CB, and EDGE which are our three biggest weaknesses.  OL help can be found in the 3rd-5th round and via free agency.  I'd also be looking hard at Jenkins JR and Sweat at NT.

I don't think you can easily get a first for Burns at this point 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, ClawOn said:

What seems to be lost on most is that,  IF everything breaks right, we have a chance to be competitive in 3 years.  There is no point in any big contracts for guys that will be past their prime in 2026.  

Burns is turning 26 in like April. He probably has another 6 or 7 years in his prime. 

1 hour ago, ClawOn said:

What seems to be lost on most is that,  IF everything breaks right, we have a chance to be competitive in 3 years.  There is no point in any big contracts for guys that will be past their prime in 2026.  

I mean, he would be 28-29. I would hardly call that "past his prime."

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean, he would be 28-29. I would hardly call that "past his prime."

Here is a little evidence supporting our claim:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sacking-father-time-elite-pass-rushers-productive-into-their-30s/

Admittedly, some of it probably undoubtedly depends upon who a person is paired with, but pass rushers can go to their mid 30s.

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 2

6 hours ago, cmichd08 said:

30 million no he isn't since he didn't play at full speed last year. Give him a 2 or 3 year with an option to talk after year two. Brown is coming up next year is he not. 

Brown, that's who we should focus on signing long term. I feel like with proper scouting and coaching (which we haven't had in years) another Burns could be developed at bare minimum. Brown is here and putting in the work week after week no matter what and he will need a new contract soon. Luvu, if he wants to stay is worthy of an upgrade to his contract as well but I just can't seem to make myself believe that Burns deserves this huge pay day. I just feel like if we do we are settling instead of relying on better scouting and coaching. There are more Brian Burns out there in the draft, and there are some beyond him. Let's scout better and find the guys beyond what Brian Burns is at his best but I certainly wouldn't settle and hand Burns a blank check to write in his pay day.