• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales and Morgan at the combine

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

So now Bryce is going to play under center as opposed to a near 100 percent from the gun? If you're going to do a lot of play action, it means "under center," right?

We'll see how all this works out. Canales knows more than me, but it kinda seems like pushing a square peg into a round hole. But, I guess I should quell skepticism in favor of optimism...I guess...

I guess we could use the pistol.  But yeah, I think you are right.

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Pretty much just sitting down to go through this today but did either morgan or DC say if we are staying with zone blocking or what?

Didn't watch just going off tweets. Dunno if I can stomach a full Panthers press conference anymore

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Canales is playing the cards he is dealt.  However, I do think he is going to make some of the Bryce Bashers on here eat some crow. 

MARK MY WORDS!!!

I bet you didn't mark them.  MARK THEM!!!

I mean, I think Bryce Young will look better in a functional offensive scheme and paired with a competent play-caller.  Frank Reich did no one any favors.  

but that alone isn't going to make me eat crow.  Bryce Young was selected #1 overall and we gave up a ton for him.  His bar is appearing to be special.  Not a little better. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Didn't watch just going off tweets. Dunno if I can stomach a full Panthers press conference anymore

I watched both start to finish (they weren't super long)

Wasn't filled with quotes about process and conviction though... I mean Morgan just said dawg mentality over and over but they answered the questions. Dave is interesting to listen too though.. he talks football A LOT.. like everything he talks about ends up in some kind of spiel about football or some training technique or some coaching point it's weird but refreshing I guess I could say.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Quite a few things that dont inspire confidence.

Why is Morgan making decisions on who is playing where?

Why not even entertain the idea of Icky moving to guard?

Bryce doesnt need a big fix? loll

"Master plan"? /me cringe

Edited by KillerKat
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

56 minutes ago, CRA said:

might as well just trade Bryce Young while his value is still high.  That's not building an O for your #1 overall pick. 

but worth noting, that isn't his QB or pick.  That's the former HC/GMs pick. 

IMO, right now his trade value is not very high. 

Canales will have 2024 to do what he can.  I do believe if Young can't measure up (pun intended) Canales will find his own QB in the 2025 draft. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

It always amazes me people who take every word the coach/gm says in an interview as meaningful or the truth of what their plans are.  You are going to get generic coach speak even if it seems like they are saying more.  They have no reason or obligation to tell us what their plans are.  All that does is hurt their ability to do their actual job.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean, I think Bryce Young will look better in a functional offensive scheme and paired with a competent play-caller.  Frank Reich did no one any favors.  

but that alone isn't going to make me eat crow.  Bryce Young was selected #1 overall and we gave up a ton for him.  His bar is appearing to be special.  Not a little better. 

Full disclosure:  I said at the time the DC hire was fine.  Probably best tepper could do without breaking the bank again but there are some issues you could nitpick with him.   And I hope we dont look in hindsight and have to discuss them.

Heres my overall issue with the hiring and the supposed fixing of bryce with the qb whisperer (feels like I have heard that with another coach) Canales.

He was a wr coach in seattle and he supposedly worked with Wilson when he was drafted and helped him.  He was the qb in seattle and supposedly helped Geno.  He was the OC in tampa and supposedly helped Baker.  And now he is the head coach tasked with the job of helping Bryce.   Something just seems off with this narrative.

19 minutes ago, CRA said:

No, I get it 100%.  I just see a situation like they had in Miami brewing.  We are going to build the OL and the WR corps.  I think Bryce is cerebral, and I think that worked against him last year.  I think he had never faced adversity before, and he was overthinking it a lot.  I think the first game he threw some early interceptions and he never fully recovered from that.  I am way past thinking that he is going to be special, but in the history of the NFL, there are a ton of first overall pick QBs that never panned out, so I am not shocked--I simply want him to improve into a decent starting QB.  I do believe he will become a smart QB--maybe like a Brees one day-best case scenario.  Probably more of a Tua.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Full disclosure:  I said at the time the DC hire was fine.  Probably best tepper could do without breaking the bank again but there are some issues you could nitpick with him.   And I hope we dont look in hindsight and have to discuss them.

Heres my overall issue with the hiring and the supposed fixing of bryce with the qb whisperer (feels like I have heard that with another coach) Canales.

He was a wr coach in seattle and he supposedly worked with Wilson when he was drafted and helped him.  He was the qb in seattle and supposedly helped Geno.  He was the OC in tampa and supposedly helped Baker.  And now he is the head coach tasked with the job of helping Bryce.   Something just seems off with this narrative.

I mean to a degree the QB whispering thing is getting a bit literal.  He's not working with Bryce step by step to improve everything. Nor should he be, he'd be neglecting his other duties as a HC.  All I need him to do is identify, plan to correct, instill a competent offense. Let your OC/QB coach go under the hood and do the heavy lifting.  

Watching how the rest of the hiring cycle shake out, Dave's hiring was the correct one especially given the lack of interest (I'll just say mutually) for Jim Harbaugh.  With the "top 2" offensive minds going back home.. yeah Dan Quinn would have started a riot here.

• Pie 2

31 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

IMO, right now his trade value is not very high. 

Canales will have 2024 to do what he can.  I do believe if Young can't measure up (pun intended) Canales will find his own QB in the 2025 draft. 

well, it depends on what you think of Bryce Young.  I personally don't think he has the tools to be very successful at this level and his value will just keep dropping.  And if you think that, his value is probably relatively high right now because you can blame it on Frank and that horrific O he called. 

it's year 2, and it certainly sounds like they have little interest in building a Bryce Young O.  So what's the actual point? 

I mean, it's not going to happen but I'd just cut bait on the Bryce experience.  He is too much of an anomaly physically and odds are against it ever working out. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Canales is playing the cards he is dealt.  However, I do think he is going to make some of the Bryce Bashers on here eat some crow. 

MARK MY WORDS!!!

I bet you didn't mark them.  MARK THEM!!!

I marked them, I marked them. No need to yell….

• Beer 1