• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales "I'd like to take the pressure off the quarterback to be a part of what the offense is doing rather than a feature of it"

rayzor

11 hours ago, top dawg said:

I just listened to him. It's a bunch of generalities. He ain't really saying anything. It's a bunch of coach-speak. It's going to be a waiting game until the action starts and we see what we have, boys and girls. 

He's keeping it vague for the cameras but he's basically talking about the same offense he ran in Tampa

• Beer 1

44 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

We had the worst WR's in the NFL at creating separation 

No we didn't.  The separation of our WR's was largely equivalent to some very highly rated receivers like Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb, Jordan Addison, Stefon Diggs and Rashid Shaheed.  One of our problems was that our QB didn't view that separation as "open", when in fact it was "NFL open".

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

No we didn't.  The separation of our WR's was largely equivalent to some very highly rated receivers like Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb, Jordan Addison, Stefon Diggs and Rashid Shaheed.  One of our problems was that our QB didn't view that separation as "open", when in fact it was "NFL open".

100%. But the Bryce Boys won’t hear it. They’ll keep spouting the same rhetoric and propaganda, especially if you venture into IG or twitter. Same tired arguments that people made up and others parrot.

12 hours ago, top dawg said:

I mean, he sounds smart and all-in, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the product on the field. 

He's so positive, I kinda feel like he's shooting sunshine up our ass all the time. Admittedly, it may be a personal problem. We're in a honeymoon phase. We'll see what he sounds like at the beginning of November.

There were a plethora of coaches and players recently saying how positive and fun it was working for/with Canales.  I dont recall one saying how he out schemed or put together a lights out game plan to beat some team.  His offense last year was kindof "meh" and there are a few other red flags so I guess we will just have to wait and see and be patient.   Like I said, this was probably the best Tepper could have done at the time.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, top dawg said:

I mean, that's one way to look at it. 

If "the SB or nothing mentality is laughable for Panthers fans to have," it's only because the franchise has never had back-to-back winning seasons and we're programmed to think that mediocrity is a goal to aspire to. I'd rather think longer term. If other franchises can aspire to championships most years, we can too.  We just have to rebuild, or possibly simply build, the right way. 

We made the playoffs 4/5 seasons from 2013 to 2017, and had a winning franchise record until Tepper took over.

We only got accustomed to mediocrity after Tepper blew up the organization with his meddling

15 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Show me don't tell me.

I fell for the Frank hype last offseason. I'm done with hope. 

If he's the guy he will prove it. Wish him luck. Not going to down the guy. I'll let this one play out.

Pretty much how I feel

I'm pretty indifferent to everything coming from the Panthers until the actual games start

The team has erode me getting excited at this point 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

100%. But the Bryce Boys won’t hear it. They’ll keep spouting the same rhetoric and propaganda, especially if you venture into IG or twitter. Same tired arguments that people made up and others parrot.

When you have a noodle with average accuracy, "NFL open" isn't open. If you're gonna make it in the NFL with a subpar arm your anticipation and accuracy have to be ELITE. Bryce has to clean up his footwork to have a chance. His feet aren't ready to throw because he's standing square to the LOS. He has to identify his target, then get his feet set, then deliver a ball with JV HS velocity. It's all too slow. He has to bring his feet and hips with his eyes.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Bryce has to clean up his footwork to have a chance. His feet aren't ready to throw because he's standing square to the LOS. He has to identify his target, then get his feet set, then deliver a ball with JV HS velocity. It's all too slow. He has to bring his feet and hips with his eyes.

i'm hoping that this is the kind of stuff they are going to pick out in the "self-scouting" phase and Canales' detailed and specific plan for BY. 

i REALLY hope that canales is what he was hyped up to be. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

When you have a noodle with average accuracy, "NFL open" isn't open. If you're gonna make it in the NFL with a subpar arm your anticipation and accuracy have to be ELITE. Bryce has to clean up his footwork to have a chance. His feet aren't ready to throw because he's standing square to the LOS. He has to identify his target, then get his feet set, then deliver a ball with JV HS velocity. It's all too slow. He has to bring his feet and hips with his eyes.

very true.  Routes and plays open for some NFL arms are definitely not open for others.  That's where I think some of this discussion is blurred.  You can't just look at separation time with no context.   Diggs and Chark aren't going to be in comparable scenarios while NFL open..... Allen can laser a ball in during a tiny window and not be properly set.  Bryce can't.  

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i'm hoping that this is the kind of stuff they are going to pick out in the "self-scouting" phase and Canales' detailed and specific plan for BY. 

Maybe if he'd clean up his footwork it would help with his velocity. He's never going to have a cannon but maybe his arm could at least be run of the mill below average if he worked on his mechanics.

I'm still in shock that seemingly everyone in the football world just completely overlooked all these red flags that a lot of us talked about here leading up to the draft last year.

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

my best guess is Canales is largely just a players coach.  I'd safely say a better present day playcaller than Frank Reich too.  But I don't think he is some offensive guru.   Which probably is what an anomoly like Bryce Young actually needs to have a shot at panning out. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

very true.  Routes and plays open for some NFL arms are definitely not open for others.  That's where I think some of this discussion is blurred.  You can't just look at separation time with no context.   Diggs and Chark aren't going to be in comparable scenarios while NFL open..... Allen can laser a ball in during a tiny window and not be properly set.  Bryce can't.  

I knew Bryce's arm strength wasn't a plus from watching him in college. My hope was that it would be NFL average but fully expected it could prove to be below average. I honestly didn't see it being bottom of the barrel but that's what we ultimately saw. His accuracy did surprisee though. I thought he'd probably be one of the most accurate passers in the NFL right out of the gate and that would help make up for his lack of arm strength. It just didn't play out that way. His short to medium accuracy was pretty average and his deep accuracy was just flat out bad.

I keep seeing people act like it's not a Bryce problem but a surrounding talent and system problem. It's all of the above. Bryce absolutely played a big role in our offensive struggles last year.

So he wants him to be 1/11, that's the very definition of a game manager QB.   Hardly worth a 1st round pick, let alone what we gave up to get him.  But it is what it is, at the very least give him a year to see if he can show any promise, if not, make sure you get it right in 2026 draft.  

13 minutes ago, NAS said:

So he wants him to be 1/11, that's the very definition of a game manager QB.   Hardly worth a 1st round pick, let alone what we gave up to get him.  But it is what it is, at the very least give him a year to see if he can show any promise, if not, make sure you get it right in 2026 draft.  

I mean, what's he supposed to say right now though? He knows the organization isn't moving on from this guy one year removed from that trade up and spending #1 overall on him. He knows Bryce isn't gonna carry his offense and he's going to have to try to scheme around his shortcomings. I mean, it is what it is. It seems to me like trying to manage expectations and downplaying the QB position is probably his best bet right now. I'm just hoping that they use this year to determine if they can make it work and if not they suck it up and move on. Not from another coaching staff but from Bryce.