• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Here come the Redskins (*nothing piece MSN article)

5 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

The Redskins name may not be something you like but it is the true name of the team.  They named it for the right reasons and should have never been changed. 

The team has history with it and shouldn't have ever been changed.  D. Synder had originally said he would never change the name but the WOKE crowd got to him and they changed it. 

There are so many team names that could face stupid but similar fates later on.  Buccaneers and the Raiders were pirates and murders, the Chiefs fall into the same category as the Redskins.  You could go on and on.  Just makes no sense.  It's a name and shouldn't be destroyed because a couple of whiny little bitches have nothing better to do than to get their panties in a wad and change things. 

I bet you think all confederate statues should remain.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

So you have data to support this?  I would agree that your position is a "no brainer."

38% of self-identified Native Americans said they were not bothered by the Washington Redskins name. But 49% overall said it was offensive, along with 67% of respondents who were heavily engaged in their native or tribal cultures, 60% of young people, and 52% of those with tribal affiliations.

But it is not about numbers, so I was wrong for presenting the data to argue in support of a decision that is about individuals, not groups.  If it was always about the majority makes the decision, we could tear down access ramps for the disabled.  We could hoist our Confederate flags to celebrate 4 years of white heritage that most whites know nothing about, and we could force all religions not classified as evangelicals to comply with the majority or tough sh!t.   Right?

If some are offended, even if those offended were not in the majority, that is all that should matter. 

The idea that the only people who are offended by "Redskins" are uptight white liberals is one of those talking points that's been repeated so often that people just kind of accept it as being true even if it's not.

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

So you have data to support this?  I would agree that your position is a "no brainer."

38% of self-identified Native Americans said they were not bothered by the Washington Redskins name. But 49% overall said it was offensive, along with 67% of respondents who were heavily engaged in their native or tribal cultures, 60% of young people, and 52% of those with tribal affiliations.

But it is not about numbers, so I was wrong for presenting the data to argue in support of a decision that is about individuals, not groups.  If it was always about the majority makes the decision, we could tear down access ramps for the disabled.  We could hoist our Confederate flags to celebrate 4 years of white heritage that most whites know nothing about, and we could force all religions not classified as evangelicals to comply with the majority or tough sh!t.   Right?

If some are offended, even if those offended were not in the majority, that is all that should matter. 

A petition to change the Washington Commanders' name to the Washington Redskins has been circulating online. The petition was started by the Native American Guardian's Association (NAGA), a North Dakota-based nonprofit organization, on June 21, 2023. As of September 14, 2023, the petition has over 131,000 signatures. 

The petition states that the name "Redskins" has cultural, historical, and emotional significance, honoring the bravery, resilience, and warrior spirit of Native American culture. The petition also claims that the name "Commanders" is a fitting name for oppressors. 

The Commanders changed their name to the Washington Football Team in 2020 after many said it was racially insensitive to call the team "Redskins". However, the Commanders have made it clear that they're not going to make the switch, even though many people have signed the petition. 

Peace. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

A petition to change the Washington Commanders' name to the Washington Redskins has been circulating online. The petition was started by the Native American Guardian's Association (NAGA), a North Dakota-based nonprofit organization, on June 21, 2023. As of September 14, 2023, the petition has over 131,000 signatures. 

The petition states that the name "Redskins" has cultural, historical, and emotional significance, honoring the bravery, resilience, and warrior spirit of Native American culture. The petition also claims that the name "Commanders" is a fitting name for oppressors. 

The Commanders changed their name to the Washington Football Team in 2020 after many said it was racially insensitive to call the team "Redskins". However, the Commanders have made it clear that they're not going to make the switch, even though many people have signed the petition. 

Peace. 

You might want to read up on that group a bit. Even if they weren't a front for the former owner it would not erase other native groups stances or speak for all natives.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Perfect post. /endthread

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, csx said:

You might want to read up on that group a bit. Even if they weren't a front for the former owner it would not erase other native groups stances or speak for all natives.

I made a direct quote.  

I know that doesn't stop people from wanting to be upset over everything.  

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

I never liked The Commanders name. If anything, it felt like it was doubling down on colonialism when the point was to try to honor the natives. They could have kept the logo and called them The Warriors.

I am pretty sure Commander (In Chief) is where Commanders comes from.