• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Newton dropping nuggets: most execs say the jury is still out on Bryce

Of course that’s what they say. No one wants to admit they were completely wrong about a prospect until it’s undeniable and they run out of excuses to make. I hope Bryce can turn it around, but I’m ready to admit I was wrong that he would also be good (even though I was adamant Stroud would be significantly better) and that injury concerns were greater than the accuracy concerns I had. 

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, top dawg said:

Why would they say anything remotely positive at all if they didn't actually believe it? . . .  Context does matter; never forget that 

Well, yes, context does matter.  Of course it does.  And you may have not looked carefully enough at it, even though you posited the question right off the bat.

Why would other execs pump Bryce up?  It's simple:  If the Panthers stay bad, it's good for them.  It's competition, nothing more. 

Hopefully the Panthers org isn't listening to the outside noise.  Hopefully they don't make more excuses after this year.  BY had a rookie season on par with Zach Wilson.  Yes, that ZW.  If he turns it around this year, great, let's go.  If not, cut bait.

It is ok to have a nuaced view of Bryce Young. It's ok to either: been very excited when we drafted him OR have reservations about his size. 

It is still ok to be excited about his future or have reservations about his ability to succeed. 

but no matter how you feel you can not deny that any rookie stepping into our situation would have struggled to some degree. It was a disaster from coaching to personnel to ownership 

yeah sounds alot  like what everyone & their brother said about Sam Darnold when the Jets traded Sam to the Panthers

yeah it was alot of the same ole same ole noise about Sam having no talent around him in NY & bad coaching & a bad offensive scheme & he will flourish in Carolina with more weapons & better coaching etc etc dejavu

...just saying

Imagine how poisoned your mind has to be to suggest that there's a leaguewide coordinated conspiracy by multiple scouts/coaches/executives across multiple NFL teams to try and deceive the Panthers' FO into moving forward with Bryce Young...because they're just so threatened by the league-worst 2-15 Carolina Panthers with no first round pick that they actually come together to orchestrate devious schemes to keep us in check.  I guess we're like the Boogey Man.  All this is much more plausible than the alternative that there are people outside the fanbase who simply think we were so bad that it was hard to properly evaluate Bryce.  Not even saying anything particularly positive about Bryce, so their scheme is pretty half-assed I guess.

And these are the people spamming "cope cope cope" mind you, who ironically are the ones who are coping so hard to explain away any opinion that doesn't align with their own.  A plot twist absolutely nobody could've seen coming.

Edited by MasterAwesome
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 3

23 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I would be willing to bet those on this board have watched 90% more of young then those execs

True because one even mentioned Bryce’s college performances as a reason he could still be successful in the pros 

Although it doesn’t take away that the Panthers were an unbridled garbage factory last year 

9 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

In hindsight, these highlights are not good. No pressure, a bunch of pass rushers that aren't NFL level, easy throws to open dudes, etc..

It’s the same thing I kept saying all offseason last year. When I watched Bryce and specifically his game against Texas in 2022, I saw a QB who could not handle pressure. There are many reasons for this but the biggest factor is his height. He cannot see over his lineman if he steps up in the pocket to evade pressure.

This was evident during his entire rookie season. We routinely saw Young scrambling out of the pocket when facing pressure or just getting sacked frequently. Albeit, the guard play was atrocious so that was a big factor. But I would like to see how he performs if that improves.

Regardless, due to his stature he requires deep drops to scan the whole field. He needs excellent guard play, and receivers who run crisp routes and create yards after the catch to be successful. He honestly needs the Saints offense of the late 2000s and early 2010s. He needs a coach who can scheme around his physical limitations and yes, lack of arm strength.

Young was not a #1 overall talent and I saw it in college. I have no idea how this got missed so thoroughly by the NFL at large because I’m just some dipshit loser who has never worked in football in any professional capacity. 

• Pie 2

Just now, hepcat said:

It’s the same thing I kept saying all offseason last year. When I watched Bryce and specifically his game against Texas in 2022, I saw a QB who could not handle pressure. There are many reasons for this but the biggest factor is his height. He cannot see over his lineman if he steps up in the pocket to evade pressure.

This was evident during his entire rookie season. We routinely saw Young scrambling out of the pocket when facing pressure or just getting sacked frequently. Albeit, the guard play was atrocious so that was a big factor. But I would like to see how he performs if that improves.

Regardless, due to his stature he requires deep drops to scan the whole field. He needs excellent guard play, and receivers who run crisp routes and create yards after the catch to be successful. He honestly needs the Saints offense of the late 2000s and early 2010s. He needs a coach who can scheme around his physical limitations and yes, lack of arm strength.

Young was not a #1 overall talent and I saw it in college. I have no idea how this got missed so thoroughly by the NFL at large because I’m just some dipshit loser who has never worked in football in any professional capacity. 

to this day I still cannot believe just how bad his mechanics are all things considered

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

to this day I still cannot believe just how bad his mechanics are all things considered

I don’t know enough about NFL QB throwing mechanics to know how good or bad Bryce’s are but I can say that from watching QB’s like Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes that no one cares about mechanics if you deliver dimes.

Just now, hepcat said:

I don’t know enough about NFL QB throwing mechanics to know how good or bad Bryce’s are but I can say that from watching QB’s like Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes that no one cares about mechanics if you deliver dimes.

I trust you do know that hopping up and down is probably not a good thing to do before you throw

10 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

In hindsight, these highlights are not good. No pressure, a bunch of pass rushers that aren't NFL level, easy throws to open dudes, etc..

Anonymous brass within the Tampa Bay, Atlanta and New Orleans front offices are saying they think Bryce will be a top 3 QB in about 4 years.  The Panthers would have to pick up the 5th year option in that case.

When asked if they would trade for Young in a hypothetical scenario, all three of these personnel declined to answer the question.

• Beer 4

1 hour ago, bandu said:

yeah sounds alot  like what everyone & their brother said about Sam Darnold when the Jets traded Sam to the Panthers

yeah it was alot of the same ole same ole noise about Sam having no talent around him in NY & bad coaching & a bad offensive scheme & he will flourish in Carolina with more weapons & better coaching etc etc dejavu

...just saying

I do find it interesting that a lot of those people hand-waving the excuses for Sam Darnold or Bryce Young are still to this day riding hard for Fields and making those exact same excuses about no talent, bad coaching, bad scheme, etc.  Despite Fields being 10-28 as a starter going into his FOURTH season.  I guess as long as you check the boxes for physical traits, then the book hasn't been written until you've been given 12 seasons and at least 7 different coaching staffs.

• Pie 1