• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ickey To The Bench

5 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

I really hope so because, damn he had a really bad year. The speed rush still scares me but hopefully it really was awful preparation and work. I’m holding out some hope that Young might turn the corner as well. 2025 isn’t a good QB class so maybe we can end up with a stud DL like Garrett instead.

I heard some analysts talking about the ways new DC's are getting pressure on the QB and how it is confusing at first.  Campen was old school and my impression of him is his attitude was "old school."  I think there was disconnect as well.  Campen was a terrible communicator.  I have been blowing this horn for several months now.  When I saw the video of two players watching Campen kiss footballs, it came off as if they were familiar with his antics, but saw him as a clownish character.  Then I head he was a snitch to tepper.  Everywhere I have been, a "snitch" is usually someone who attempts to make himself valuable in ways othr than doing his job.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Almost every starting LT had a rough second season. It's the learning curve, not just of the player but of the opposing players who now have enough tape and sometimes head-to-head experience to know the player's tendencies and weaknesses. 

That sophomore slump is where the learning curve is at its steepest and the odds are in favor of the defense. Let's see how he comes back in the third season as a starter. Sometimes they don't make it and head to the bench and the second string. And most times, for the great ones, this is where they start feeling their place in the game and take ownership not just of their gameplay but of that patch of field they are standing on. 

I have faith that Icky will live up to his potential. Just give him someone steady beside him and have someone who can make the right play and protection calls. 

This^^^

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I heard some analysts talking about the ways new DC's are getting pressure on the QB and how it is confusing at first.  Campen was old school and my impression of him is his attitude was "old school."  I think there was disconnect as well.  Campen was a terrible communicator.  I have been blowing this horn for several months now.  When I saw the video of two players watching Campen kiss footballs, it came off as if they were familiar with his antics, but saw him as a clownish character.  Then I head he was a snitch to tepper.  Everywhere I have been, a "snitch" is usually someone who attempts to make himself valuable in ways othr than doing his job.

Canpen wasn't the problem. Playing Cade Mays and Nash Jenson in front of Bryce Young was the problem.

Campen was a very well respected OL coach for years. He didn't just become a complete joker in 1 single year.

Edited by csx

40 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I wonder if he was secretly shopped behind the scenes some because he definitely doesnt fit the new blocking scheme either. 

can you expand on this with some evidence to back it up?

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

I like how you click bated the title like the staff removed him from starting officially lol

I was really just playing off the “Corbett to Center” thread title but ok. I didn’t put anything like “Official” or “Breaking” in the thread title. The thread is about Ickey potentially moving to the bench…I create so few threads around here and you think I’m in it for clickbait lol.

As far as Sophomore slumps, Ickey's wasn't even half as bad as many long term LTs in the league. His inconsistency skewed his stats, but a lot of that was due to scheme and coaching. So many of you were talking pure poo about Brown after his second year as well. Now look! You need to chill! Ekwonu has what it takes, just let the kid develop!

• Pie 5

23 minutes ago, top dawg said:

As far as Sophomore slumps, Ickey's wasn't even half as bad as many long term LTs in the league. His inconsistency skewed his stats, but a lot of that was due to scheme and coaching. So many of you were talking pure poo about Brown after his second year as well. Now look! You need to chill! Ekwonu has what it takes, just let the kid develop!

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, t96 said:

can you expand on this with some evidence to back it up?

He's a downhill mauler.   Good for the straight ahead power run game.  Hes not as good in space or moving laterally.  It is what he has clearly struggled with in the past.

56 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I actually think he was worse than his stats suggest. For pressure stats they only give the pressure to the lineman who’s man created the “initial pressure”. Edge rushers have more ground to cover to get to the QB than interior DL. The guards and center were so bad that Ickey simply did not get credited with nearly as many pressures as he actually gave up.

I know this for a fact because there was one game somebody posted the OL grades with pressures and they only credited Ickey with like 2 pressures. When I saw that I thought it was really strange having watched the game and noted many more than 2 times Ickey whiffing on blocks or getting put on skates and giving up immediate pressure. So I went back and watched the offensive snaps and on the first drive alone Ickey gave up more than 2 pressures. It was just that there were so many jailbreaks where Bryce had 2 guys in his face and Ickeys man breathing down his neck off the edge that somebody else got credited with giving up the pressure and they only give it to one guy per play.

2 hours ago, Panthero said:

Icky is on the Bryce plan, perform now that you have help or hit the bricks in 2025. 

The best man will get the job. They have way more invested in Bryce than Ickey. They aren’t going to risk Bryce’s development to go with a suboptimal OL. The Ickey who showed up last year wouldn’t beat a lot of guys out so we’ll see.

He will likely look better this year just by default of playing with better talent around him, whether or not he ends up being a franchise LT remains to be seen. I have my doubts but god I would love to be wrong