• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Falcons in trouble

the “legal tampering” period is pointless.

it was said on the radio that the panthers reached out to Luvu after the burns trade but were told “he had already agreed to a deal.”

No, he hadn’t. The contract wasn’t signed. But these handshake agreements these teams are reaching with players are seemingly ironclad, and I cannot recall an example of a player agreeing to sign somewhere before being approached with a better deal and reneging on the deal in hand.

i get it, principally, if you agree to do something, it is honorable to do it. But it has completely defeated the point of the “legal tampering” window and effectively free agency just starts a little bit earlier than it did before, and the same teams that were cheating before are cheating now.

a proper “legal tampering” window should be nice and quiet, with teams negotiating over the course of the window. The news getting out should lead to the concern that your team may get one upped. 

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 2

11 minutes ago, Growl said:

it was said on the radio that the panthers reached out to Luvu after the burns trade but were told “he had already agreed to a deal.”

No, he hadn’t. The contract wasn’t signed. But these handshake agreements these teams are reaching with players are seemingly ironclad, and I cannot recall an example of a player agreeing to sign somewhere before being approached with a better deal and reneging on the deal in hand.

i get it, principally, if you agree to do something, it is honorable to do it. But it has completely defeated the point of the “legal tampering” window and effectively free agency just starts a little bit earlier than it did before, and the same teams that were cheating before are cheating now.

a proper “legal tampering” window should be nice and quiet, with teams negotiating over the course of the window. The news getting out should lead to the concern that your team may get one upped. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Growl said:

I don’t know the full details, but I do believe Kendricks just did that switching from an agreement with the 49ers to the Cowboys. I think what is likely happening is that most people have this inner code that they will not renege on a deal once they have agreed to it, whether it is official in writing or not. I say this as somebody who works in sales and sees it all the time. Also, they may worry about their reputation throughout the league for future deals.

3 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

That’s great but until it’s more commonplace then you’re gonna have a latent advantage for teams that tamper illegally versus teams that don’t. “Legal tampering wasn’t designed to combat tampering, it was acknowledging that you couldn’t fight it and you were forcing the idea of a fair opportunity 

also I think staying home isn’t quite the same.